• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

My personal MCME footprint path tour...

ShaneoftheDead

Is going on an adventure!
Credits
XP
Recently, I completed a personal quest of mine which was walking along the footprint path while listening to the unabridged audio books narrated by Rob Inglis. Where they walked in the book, I walked. I know I'm not the first to do it and I'm sure this is said often... I highly recommend it. I had a great time. Fortunately, I was able to complete most of it before the recent surge of people so there was hardly any rubber banding or lag.

When I read a book, I try to imagine the scene in my mind's eye. Then if that book became a move, I get to experience it through the director's eye. Both are enjoyable. However, being able to walk around and see all the detail really helped bring the story to life. Especially when the characters were talking in one area, like at the Green Dragon or the Prancing Pony or in Rivendel and you can easily imagine them being there too with you. The details really make it shine! Just looking around as the dialog flows past makes it feel like you are part of the story.

One of the fun things I did along the way was to look and see if things casually mentioned were actually there. I'd pause the play-back and go and look for it. Almost all the time I did find it! Well done MCME!! I was terribly happy to find the sapling behind Minas Tirith.

Following the path was not always easy. I became lost several times in the darker forests, like Fangorn. I did not want to go "full bright" and break the scene so I missed many a turn of the path. And naturally I became terribly lost in the Paths of the Dead. (Though, I now know 2 ways through it! A quick way and a longer one with all the sights. That university computer class that taught me binary search tree algorithms paid off there.) And of course there were sections that are incomplete or under construction. Still, it was worth the effort and time.

Thank You! to MCME for the wonderful time.

Sincerely,
ShaneoftheDead

PS: As a question to the forum, what is your favorite small detail that you have seen on MCME so far?

The unabridged audio books i used were over 54 hours long. Add in travel time when the book moved instantly from one place to another where I paused it and walked and it probably took me closer to 56 hours. This was spread over many weeks in my free time.

And my favorite details was the sapling, of course.