• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Navigating Moria

Dav3ck

Worthy of Mordor
Supporter
Commoner
Credits
XP
After having to go through Moria without /gamemode 3, i can honestly say that it is pretty much impossible to navigate. I just end up running in circles without ever reaching the halls I want to visit.

I can imagen this being rather annoying for new players. Because its so easy to get lost in there. It also stops new players from exploring all the incredible builds hidden away in the far corners.

I know that giving adventurers & commoners the ability to use gamemode 3 is not an option. But maybe if we restrict the usage to only Moria, or maybe set up more structural warps that can help you navigate. It could ease the pain of finding the right hall.

And as Moria expends, this problem is only going to get worst and worst.

(I may or may not have spent a good one hour trying to find a hall I was working on... Without succeeding..)

After having to go through Moria without /gamemode 3, i can honestly say that it is pretty much impossible to navigate. I just end up running in circles without ever reaching the halls I want to visit.

I can imagen this being rather annoying for new players. Because its so easy to get lost in there. It also stops new players from exploring all the incredible builds hidden away in the far corners.

I know that giving adventurers & commoners the ability to use gamemode 3 is not an option. But maybe if we restrict the usage to only Moria, or maybe set up more structural warps that can help you navigate. It could ease the pain of finding the right hall.

And as Moria expends, this problem is only going to get worst and worst.

(I may or may not have spent a good one hour trying to find a hall I was working on... Without succeeding..)
Get gud.

No for real, navigating through moria can be a pain, but there's no way, that I can think off, to make it more easy unless you set your home or a personal warp where you are working.

One day i spent 1 hour looking for that great shaft and i dind't find it. The day after i found it randomly, then went back to the khazad-dum bridge from it and now i can go there without any problems.
But i think it would be good to have warps to important halls in moria, like the great shaft, the throne rooms and the halls visited by the fellowship.

What we need is a map. Not a dynmap but a hand-made one. Which leaves out all the unimportant details and focusses on a good overview for naviagation. For old Moria we had such a map.
New Moria is harder ofc, but not too hard. It is well organised in levels, so you can make a map for each level with symbols for connections of the levels.

We just need some enthusiastic players to do all the charting.

What about the planning map/model @Finrod_Amandil (I think it was) built in plotworld. Could that be used to base a map on?

Or... just had an idea. Is there a... maybe not but is there a chanse that we somehow could use jurneymap or something like that to map out the various levels and deeps of Moria? Preferably just a level/deep at a time.

Hand drawing a map of all of the halls on all levels and deeps of Moria with all of the connecting stairs in the right places is just not feasible I feel. It would take forever to map out what we've already built. If we had someone truly dedicated to mapping out Moria it wouldn't be too hard to map any newly added halls as they'd not be tangled up into what we've already built but mapping out what's already there? For that we'd need mechanical aid I think.

Well... I guess we could do it hall by hall, just walking through mapping it out as we go but that would take ages.

What about the planning map/model @Finrod_Amandil (I think it was) built in plotworld. Could that be used to base a map on?

Or... just had an idea. Is there a... maybe not but is there a chanse that we somehow could use jurneymap or something like that to map out the various levels and deeps of Moria? Preferably just a level/deep at a time.

Hand drawing a map of all of the halls on all levels and deeps of Moria with all of the connecting stairs in the right places is just not feasible I feel. It would take forever to map out what we've already built. If we had someone truly dedicated to mapping out Moria it wouldn't be too hard to map any newly added halls as they'd not be tangled up into what we've already built but mapping out what's already there? For that we'd need mechanical aid I think.

Well... I guess we could do it hall by hall, just walking through mapping it out as we go but that would take ages.
Is that how @mattlego mapped it out?

I edited @mattlego's pictures and put them into slides. Like this you can quickly scan (left and right arrow keys) through all levels of Moria: Moria Mapping

This is a really good start, is it possible to put names in the halls with their functions, for example "kitchen". And also use symbols to show where staircases are, and whether or not they take you up or down(or both).

And maybe an ingame command that gives you a link to that file.

My maps are a little outdated but here's what I have so far: Moria Maps.zip
How outdated are those maps? Because I want to know whether it is I who is stupid or if the map is older than my crossroads hall I built late spring/early summer.
Edit: no wait. I just found it. It was further south-east than I recalled.

How outdated are those maps?
Those maps are about 5 months old so they could use some updating

I mapped these using journeymap, you can save cave maps by level, I believe through that slider bar or by actually moving your player to the different levels.

This is a really good start, is it possible to put names in the halls with their functions, for example "kitchen". And also use symbols to show where staircases are, and whether or not they take you up or down(or both).

And maybe an ingame command that gives you a link to that file.
Thats a good idea to add labels and the link could maybe be added in the motd or somehow send it to you in chat when you teleport into moria.

My main problem with labels is that I have no knowlege about Moria more that 1st, 2nd and 3rd hall :/
So if someone could provide the information I will ad labels.

Links can easily be added using Guidebook plugin.

How far is the halls numbered? Or rather, how many of them are? Would my little crossroads hall for example be hall like 274 or something?

There is very little lore about the hall numbers. Gandalf calls the Hall next to the Chamber of Mazarbul 21st of the North-end. He also mentions 2nd and 1st Hall of Old Moria. But I never found more information about hall numbers.

I dont think every little corridor needs to be named only proper halls/ and places to visit. A normal staircase can for example be just called staircase, instead of hall 420