• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

New management structure, auditing and improved workflow

Drastic changes for the better?

• Yay

Votes: 66 93.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think when Q is referring to auditing, I would assume he means more on the lines of within the circle of staff.
This is what I'm assuming too.

while also reformatting the Valar back to having specific tasks allows for less people to be involved in decision making. Instead of all the Valar trying to decide on something, then Credoo and Q could decide on a building issue, just as Iru and Q could also decide on Bounder related issues. Q addressed this in the main post:
This is the sort of thing that I was querying with:
"What happens if this person is inactive or fails to fulfil their role - another audit maybe? :p"
I'm not saying that there's an easy answer, but it is a potential short-coming, and one that we've suffered by before.

Ah, I was assuming staff still bring topics like this up in the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
The measures I want to implement tackle these problems head on by assigning specific responsibilities to someone specific, instead of the vague ranks with no specific set of responsibilities.
Will there be changes to the responsibilities of every staff rank, or just Valar? Here it sounds like there will be changes to all staff ranks, but in other places it seems like only Valar will be changed.

This is a positive change that will clear up many of the issues we have with communication within the staff and valar ranks.

Ah, I was assuming staff still bring topics like this up in the forums.
We still do bring up topics like this on the forums. However, occasionally things slip through the cracks and get neglected due to usually poor communication (as we are only human) between the project leader and the other staff. What a new system would hopefully prevent is the little things falling through the cracks as well as creating a more sound system of catching errors in project management. In other words, a new approach to checks and balances within project management and oversight that is hopefully for the better.
Will there be changes to the responsibilities of every staff rank, or just Valar? Here it sounds like there will be changes to all staff ranks, but in other places it seems like only Valar will be changed.
The most noticeable definition of responsibility will be seen in the valar, however, the across staff communication will also be changed to a degree. There are too many staff to give each person a specific responsibility in that sense.

Last edited:
Hello
I've been trying to reacg you.
I got whitelisted but cannot join server. I applied under the name dragon but my mc username is zeusjones15805. Didn't realise they had to be the same name.
Sorry.
Can you please fix this?
thank you

Hello
I've been trying to reacg you.
I got whitelisted but cannot join server. I applied under the name dragon but my mc username is zeusjones15805. Didn't realise they had to be the same name.
Sorry.
Can you please fix this?
thank you
you have to reapply.

Out of curiosity,

When do you plan on officially implementing the new management structure and workflow organization? I realize that this post announces the changes to come, but when will those changes actually take place?

Thanks Q

If there is one thing I want to reduce or remove, it is the current slow progress, or structures that simply can't lead to decisions.

A suggestion to reduce that (not sure if you already do that):
It happens sometimes that a decision maker goes on a vacation, or maybe gets very busy with personal or carrier matters for a period. If the decision makers started report those periods to the other decision makers and people involved in the project for that specific decision maker, precautions can be decided.

For example a forum post that says:
"In two weeks I'll have tons of exams, and I don't think I will be available for most of this month".
Then the people involved in the project knows, and maybe a substitute should be given the responsibility in while.

If you already do this, maybe you should have a lower threshold for reporting such periods and more routine in it.

A suggestion to reduce that (not sure if you already do that):
It happens sometimes that a decision maker goes on a vacation, or maybe gets very busy with personal or carrier matters for a period. If the decision makers started report those periods to the other decision makers and people involved in the project for that specific decision maker, precautions can be decided.

For example a forum post that says:
"In two weeks I'll have tons of exams, and I don't think I will be available for most of this month".
Then the people involved in the project knows, and maybe a substitute should be given the responsibility in while.

If you already do this, maybe you should have a lower threshold for reporting such periods and more routine in it.
This is already done, there's a thread for it in the staff forums, but sometimes people forget or have to leave unexpectedly.

This is already done, there's a thread for it in the staff forums, but sometimes people forget or have to leave unexpectedly.

Well then maybe you should (as already said) have a lower threshold and more routine in doing it.

In my opinion, a decision maker has so much responsibility that he/she shouldn't be allowed to forget. Don't get me wrong, we're all people and we all make mistakes once in a while. But if a decision maker is so forgetful that he/she forgets to notice the others that he will be gone for a while (three days, a week), he/she shouldn't be a decision maker.

If some people have to leave unexpectedly, he/she can still notice the other staff members after he/she has left. It takes less than 3 minutes to do so. To know is better than not knowing, and a substitute can be given responsibility by the decision maker that has to leave unexpectedly while noticing the other staff members.

It seems you need more routine in it.

Well then maybe you should (as already said) have a lower threshold and more routine in doing it.

In my opinion, a decision maker has so much responsibility that he/she shouldn't be allowed to forget. Don't get me wrong, we're all people and we all make mistakes once in a while. But if a decision maker is so forgetful that he/she forgets to notice the others that he will be gone for a while (three days, a week), he/she shouldn't be a decision maker.

If some people have to leave unexpectedly, he/she can still notice the other staff members after he/she has left. It takes less than 3 minutes to do so. To know is better than not knowing, and a substitute can be given responsibility by the decision maker that has to leave unexpectedly while noticing the other staff members.

It seems you need more routine in it.
This is a problem that was hopefully dealt with after the last staff meeting. At this point we are hoping to hold people more accountable for taking responsibility for a given project in that if they leave, there are now systems in place so that the project is not completely held up on them as some projects have been in the past. This includes introducing a more organized system of project staff and back-up staff that can pick up the project and have a good enough understanding of the project to continue it in the absence of the project leader themselves.

And the system in place is pretty easy, all it requires is a post to the forums saying "i am gone from x date to y date", its just encouraging those who do not currently use that system to use it more and develop the mutual understanding that leaving a project hanging is not beneficial to the community as a whole. It is less about the routine/system, more about developing the understanding that this communication is vital and it is unacceptable for such communication to be forgotten when serving as a project leader.

It is less about the routine/system, more about developing the understanding that this communication is vital and it is unacceptable for such communication to be forgotten when serving as a project leader.

And that is exactly what routine is.

And that is exactly what routine is.
Well in that case, the problem has hopefully been solved for future references, or at least, the system is in place to avoid it to the best of our abilities as I am sure exceptions will still happen on occasions

Q your giving me flashbacks to work reading about workflow. But I'm glad to see this being implemented. I'll try to keep my ear to the group to see if I can find anything which may assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.