• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Nothva Rhaglaw (In the VERY VERY FAR FUTURE)

Durtalathion

Sneaky Anvil Dropper
Credits
XP
-Durtalathion
-Been on the server for for almost a year
-Currently an adventurer
-Jobs that I have participated in and worked

-Pela FB
-Annuminas House ruining. I ruined the last house to be pasted :)
-multiple Lothlorien vegetation jobs
-Lamedon jobs including house building, farm wall creation and beautification, and vinyard work. That is where Fireinferno gave me the name de plume "durtalathion-builder of walls", road jobs including the 'Durt Road' running from Spathlin to the road between Ethring and Calembel.

-I discussed this briefly with Kisos, he said it would not be a priority and not really taken seriously but I wanted to get it out there as a possible FUTURE idea.
-It is not on the list of available projects.
-
Job will probably take about six weeks max

AS A PREFACE, YES THIS IS MERP RELATED, BUT LITTLE TO NOTHING IS KNOWN LORE WISE ABOUT RHUDRAR. KEEP THIS IN MIND BEFORE RIPPING IT APART :)

180?cb=20121023113515

The only permanent Hillman town west of the Mitheithel, Nothva Rhaglaw was a trading center and a source of local justice. The movements of the semi-nomadic Hillmen, though, caused the town's population to vary widely with the seasons.It lay at the head of the Safin Rhaglah, a steep-sided valley that—like the vale around Barad Eldanar—was one of the scattered fertile spots in the Oiolad. It was on the old trail that led from Weathertop to Morva Tarth in Rhudaur, and was therefore an important stopover for the few merchants moving goods from Cardolan to Angmar.

In the Second Age, it had been the capitol of a petty Eriadorian kingdom. There were two shrines here. The Tateshalla, located in a small vale in the forest called the Witbeamwyd, just northwest of the town, was dedicated to the Second Age Kings. The Gersebroc, on a hill to the northeast of town, honored a local lord who had fought Trolls and a Dragon that had once threatened Nothva Rhaglaw about T.A.1100. A potent geas radiated from the two shrines and delivered a strong bane on any evil creature approaching Nothva Rhaglaw. The town had been occupied on occasion by Angmarean troops, but the Orcs garrisoning it sickened and fled. Mages sent by the Witch-King went away confused, as their spells failed to detect the true source of the Tateshalla's power and badly underestimated that of the Gersebroc. Since the town, for all of its pretensions to independence, had never once failed to send its tribute and taxes to Carn Dum, no serious attempt had been made to exorcise the two shrines. The Orcs used an alternate trail around the north and west sides of the Witbeamwyd; merchants and the Witchking's messengers had a safe stopover where the Orcs and Wargs couldn't bother them; and the villagers of Nothva Rhaglaw had a few more years of peace. The only outsiders who dwelled near the Safin Rhaglaw were a band of Hillmen who hunted from a seasonal camp south ofthe village. Accustomed to operating around places haunted by "evil" spirits, they were careful about their behavior while buying goods in Nothva Rhaglaw. Unknown to the Angmarrim, these scouts, roaming an area safe from the prying eyes of Orcs and crows, were also gathering information on the Witch-king's strength in anticipation of the Targ-Arm Broggah's decision to precipitate a general rebellion.

This project can be broken down into three major parts.

STEP ONE-

-Voxeling the surrounding terrian

Total time to complete this portion 1-1 1/2 weeks

STEP TWO-
-Town layout and outlying
-Construction of town
-Roads leading to and from town

Total time to complete this portion 2-3 weeks

STEP THREE-
-Farms outside of town
- Town details

Total time to complete this portion 1-2 weeks

Total proposed project time: 6 1/2 weeks

MORE INFO TO COME. STAY POISED

Concept Art

rivendel_zpslaj6diup.jpg
images_zpsktrka4pa.jpg
An_aerial_shot_of__2842261b_zpsj0n3jcx1.jpg

LOCATION AND MAPPING

Rhudaur2201_zps3vmyfqxl.jpg
LOCATION OF NOTHVA RHAGLAW CIRCLED

c991cb62-5a69-439d-9b91-67a7de164969_zpss7mqxqfx.jpg

image_zpsgwdylhol.jpg

Yellow: Ridge line extensions and refurbishment
Blue: Feeding streams and river extensions
Red: Town site

Last edited:
This is a project I in fact am very excited to see being built; I have started sorting out MERP Rhudaur locations quite some time ago, but got stuck again at some point, and Nothva Rhaglaw (In other sources also spelt Noddfa Rhaglaw) is one of the locations that definitely has good chances to be realised on the server.

Regarding the lore: You copied the description from the MERP wiki (which is again a copy of the original text in MERP module #2005 Arnor), and you should also research what all the other names mentioned in there mean, in case you have not already done that. That MERP module was once downloadable from merp.com, but as they are reworking their website at the moment you cant access it anymore; I upped it to my dropbox for you:
Dropbox - 2005 - Arnor.pdf

Another source you may want to check is a magazine based on MERP which takes a look on how population changes over time. An important point is, that MERP is set at 1640 TA, and our server is set 1400 years later than that. You have to make up whether or how this city did manage to survive this time and whether its population grew or dwindled. Make up some viable theory.
OM 013 Other Minds Magazine Issue 13 English Revision 20120415 PDF — Other Minds Magazine Website

I hope I can soon finish sorting out Rhudaur locations and map them out. Then we also have to see what terrain style we will use for Rhudaur, which again is bound to the style of the Coldells and Ettenmoors, which again are bound to the revamp of the Misties, part 5 and 6. As the latter one will still take a lot of time (The misties revamp is going since a year now and we're working on section 2 at the moment...) we'll have to find a good way to make this happen earlier, given the project is accepted ;)

Other than that you should already start by making some concepts to show off that your building skills are good enough to tackle this project :)

Thank you. It will develop
This is a project I in fact am very excited to see being built; I have started sorting out MERP Rhudaur locations quite some time ago, but got stuck again at some point, and Nothva Rhaglaw (In other sources also spelt Noddfa Rhaglaw) is one of the locations that definitely has good chances to be realised on the server.

Regarding the lore: You copied the description from the MERP wiki (which is again a copy of the original text in MERP module #2005 Arnor), and you should also research what all the other names mentioned in there mean, in case you have not already done that. That MERP module was once downloadable from merp.com, but as they are reworking their website at the moment you cant access it anymore; I upped it to my dropbox for you:
Dropbox - 2005 - Arnor.pdf

Another source you may want to check is a magazine based on MERP which takes a look on how population changes over time. An important point is, that MERP is set at 1640 TA, and our server is set 1400 years later than that. You have to make up whether or how this city did manage to survive this time and whether its population grew or dwindled. Make up some viable theory.
OM 013 Other Minds Magazine Issue 13 English Revision 20120415 PDF — Other Minds Magazine Website

I hope I can soon finish sorting out Rhudaur locations and map them out. Then we also have to see what terrain style we will use for Rhudaur, which again is bound to the style of the Coldells and Ettenmoors, which again are bound to the revamp of the Misties, part 5 and 6. As the latter one will still take a lot of time (The misties revamp is going since a year now and we're working on section 2 at the moment...) we'll have to find a good way to make this happen earlier, given the project is accepted ;)

Other than that you should already start by making some concepts to show off that your building skills are good enough to tackle this project :)

Thank you and the proposal shall continue to develop over time and I will for sure begin developing a rough basis for my idea. Thank you for the reference materials. I have been straining to find information and Merp stuff to give me more information. I know for sure where it will go in the map I just have to upload pictures and figure out some stuff to show what I have planned.

c68b0184-4118-41b0-b1b6-18396504e43c_zpsgcaytoyt.jpg

Updated plan

Green: Forest extension and amplification. Small clearing around Tateshalla estate (black dot). Southern forest is the Witbeamyd, the northern the Drebiwyd
Red: Location of the town proper Nothva Rhaglaw
Grey: Road leading from Weathertop to Morva Tarth (Swamp town to the north in the Ettendales)
Blue: River Rhaglaw and its extentions
Black: Tateshalla Estate/Sanctuary

Yellow: Ridges and hills that either have to be amplified to match description in MERP lore

In case you're using windows, there you may find somewhere on your keyboard a button that say "PrtScn" (Printscreen), hit that one, open Paint (usually via windows button), then Ctrl+V and youve got a screenshot without using your camera ;), else theres a lot of free screenshot programs out there for download.

I know on windows 8 and 8.1 there is the "Snipping Tool" for screenshotting areas of the screen. It's probably in other versions of windows as well, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help. I've been wondering how in some of the other proposals were getting such great shots :) now I know and shall attempt to implement them in my next proposal update.

Sorry about the picture quality. I had already built this before I had gotten the advice on screenshots and I am in the process of getting better ones. As promised. A concept build.

Tateshalla Estate/Sanctuary

image_zpsegqp2zho.jpg

image_zpsxttaeub1.jpg
image_zpscfytc7vv.jpg
image_zps7vsfeufk.jpg
image_zpsih23bjf8.jpg
image_zpskpodtmfc.jpg

The Tateshalla was an ancient sanctuary of the Eridorians. It was the burial-place of the mythical King Gotshelm who allied his tribe with the Numenorian colonists in the Second Age. Nearby this hall also lies the mound which contains the entrance to a cave that leads to his tomb under the Tateshalla. It is located north of Nothva Rhaglaw in the northern section of the Whitbeamwyd.

Tateshall_zpsnxzct6e1.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry about the picture quality. I had already built this before I had gotten the advice on screenshots and I am in the process of getting better ones. As promised.

For minecraft screenshots theres even an inbuilt screenshot program: Simply press F2 ingame and it takes a screen; after that you find them the following way: Click the windows start button (bottom left of desktop), then type "%appdata%" in the search bar, then it should open a folder where probs the topmost one is ".minecraft", in there is a folder "screenshots".

Last edited:
Try not to make stone supported by wood, as the wood would break. In your concept, the issue mainly arises in the roof edges and arches. These look a little bit unrealistic. You could also make it a little less boxish, but that shape is ok if it's only a couple buildings.
Otherwise, nice concept!:D

The building itself is a bit boxish from the description. I will be playing around with it tho.

As a follow up, the town proper shall have all manner of shaped buildings but as the description of this particular building was very rectangular. I admit the roof needs work and shall receive more attention this weekend, still trying to shake my Romanesque build experience and adapt new styles. But for a first build, I agree that it is not bad.

The building itself is a bit boxish from the description. I will be playing around with it tho.
Remember that this location is non-canon so you can adapt it how you want without angering anybody. If a location is in canon lore, you pretty much have to follow the lore or people get mad and there is a lengthy discussion:p However, with a merp location, you can pick the parts you think are good ideas and ignore the others:) In my opinion, it would be good to make this particular building a little bit more unique, since it seems to be a central building. As I said, some boxish buildings are fine, though.

Keep in mind that it is your project, so you can do what you want. I'm just offering my opinions;)

This building isn't even in the town. It is outside of the town. I totally get what you are talking about though. As for style, from the merp description it was a rectangular building with pillars. The local style was a mix of numenorian stonework and local hillman woodwork. Thus the mixture as it was. The hall is located outside of town in the forest. I will rework the roof and work on other buildings and structures of note :) which will all not be rectangular.
Remember that this location is non-canon so you can adapt it how you want without angering anybody. If a location is in canon lore, you pretty much have to follow the lore or people get mad and there is a lengthy discussion:p However, with a merp location, you can pick the parts you think are good ideas and ignore the others:) In my opinion, it would be good to make this particular building a little bit more unique, since it seems to be a central building. As I said, some boxish buildings are fine, though.

Keep in mind that it is your project, so you can do what you want. I'm just offering my opinions;)

Try not to make stone supported by wood, as the wood would break. In your concept, the issue mainly arises in the roof edges and arches. These look a little bit unrealistic. You could also make it a little less boxish, but that shape is ok if it's only a couple buildings.
Otherwise, nice concept!:D
Well, that's not entirely true. Stone supported by wood do exist, the point is just not to put too much weight on too less wood.
And in this case we have also strong stone walls, so I don't see any problem.