• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Old Ranks

Would you prefer to possibly see some of the old ranks return? (IE: Foreman, Member, etc)

• Total voters

Delmana

Experienced Member
Credits
XP
In my absence it seems many ranks have gone through many different names and changes. We no longer have Member, Droog, Foreman and many other names myself and many old time members where fond of. Some ranks have been removed entirely, or consolidated into one. I wasn't here for the discussion or change, so what happened, may I ask?

Also after some discussion with people I was interested to see what other people thought.

Last edited:
Or at least a rank higher than Adventurer, and lower than Guide. That'd be cool. I almost feel like we don't have the numbers we used to to sustain as many ranks. But a few more wouldn't hurt, maybe.

@Delmana you may think it was a spontanous decision do decrease the number of ranks, but it was not, and especially on merging Commoner (Member) and Thrall (Droog) into one rank (Adventurer) more than one long lasting discussion was held (which are unfortunately gone due to the Forum Crash we had last year), but here the most important points:

Commoner and Thrall were merged to one rank with all the permissions the former Commoner had because this rank did not serve any purpose for the sake of building middle earth; The rank could be very easily attained and thus did not show off special building skills nor trustworthyness.

Foreman, Artisan and Steward were merged into one rank as all of these three more and more performed all of the main tasks of each of the three ranks (leading/setting up large projects, leading jobs, make concepts/build styles)

"Ranger" was changed to "Guide", "Bounder" to "Enforcer"; and for the merged ranks "Adventurer" and "Designer" were chosen, these were driven by the intention of making all rank names easily understandable to new members by being pretty self-explanatory. The change from Vala to Head Designer / Enforcer happened at a later point but had a similar idea behind it.

I don't think it's too hard to obtain the artist rank nowadays and you don't have to be very creative.
Just show that you can adapt a style and be mature and helpfull. Also for Guide you don't have to be a
huge lore nerd and old members can easily shine with their, over the time, aquired knowledge of builds
and history of the server.
Both ranks can be a valid substitute for Commoner.

@Delmana you may think it was a spontanous decision do decrease the number of ranks, but it was not, and especially on merging Commoner (Member) and Thrall (Droog) into one rank (Adventurer) more than one long lasting discussion was held (which are unfortunately gone due to the Forum Crash we had last year), but here the most important points:

Commoner and Thrall were merged to one rank with all the permissions the former Commoner had because this rank did not serve any purpose for the sake of building middle earth; The rank could be very easily attained and thus did not show off special building skills nor trustworthyness.

Foreman, Artisan and Steward were merged into one rank as all of these three more and more performed all of the main tasks of each of the three ranks (leading/setting up large projects, leading jobs, make concepts/build styles)

"Ranger" was changed to "Guide", "Bounder" to "Enforcer"; and for the merged ranks "Adventurer" and "Designer" were chosen, these were driven by the intention of making all rank names easily understandable to new members by being pretty self-explanatory. The change from Vala to Head Designer / Enforcer happened at a later point but had a similar idea behind it.
Thank you, I hadn't got the chance to have it explained to me. Though wouldn't Foreman being a different rank that Designers serve a good purpose? I know some members are upset at the lack of jobs being given, wouldn't it be simpler to have a group of people who WANT to lead jobs, rather than bother some designers who see it as a task or chore to do so.

I know some members are upset at the lack of jobs being given, wouldn't it be simpler to have a group of people who WANT to lead jobs, rather than bother some designers who see it as a task or chore to do so.

We are always trying to improve community involvement with leading as many jobs as we can. But we cant have jobs on demand, thus people will always complain that there is a lack of jobs. In most cases it is a time zone issue in other cases it can be a genuine lack of jobs. Bringing back foreman wont consistently change the lack of jobs.
Any thing can become a chore when repeated enough times. Leading jobs is no exception to this. A rank dedicated to just leading jobs is a rank doomed to burn people out.

We are always trying to improve community involvement with leading as many jobs as we can. But we cant have jobs on demand, thus people will always complain that there is a lack of jobs. In most cases it is a time zone issue in other cases it can be a genuine lack of jobs. Bringing back foreman wont consistently change the lack of jobs.
Any thing can become a chore when repeated enough times. Leading jobs is no exception to this. A rank dedicated to just leading jobs is a rank doomed to burn people out.
Makes sense