• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

On the Osgiliath-Stone

What should we do with the Osgiliath palantir?

• It's lost forever, no point in putting it anywhere

• An Easter egg on the river's bottom in Osgiliath (the stone hasn't moved)

• An Easter egg on the river's bottom downstream a distance (the river carried the stone for a while)

• Other (Please state what below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be pretty cool. Hmm....I wonder if Jord's lore wisdom would also apply to the power of river currents?
It was apparently a huge palantir; one man couldn't lift it. So if it fell into the river from the top of that tower, I'd say it would stick pretty well in the mud.

But the water could have slow down the stone, and then it could have been taken further by the stream. Actually, the stone would certainly have been founded if it was just at the foot of the tower... Plus, the tower isn't right above the rivern, so the Palantír should have firtstly fallen on the island and then rolled to the Anduin.
Or it could have been taken by someone outside of the tower for some reason, this person could have been attacked, have dropped the stone and then it rolled to the Anduin.

But the water could have slow down the stone, and then it could have been taken further by the stream. Actually, the stone would certainly have been founded if it was just at the foot of the tower... Plus, the tower isn't right above the rivern, so the Palantír should have firtstly fallen on the island and then rolled to the Anduin.
Or it could have been taken by someone outside of the tower for some reason, this person could have been attacked, have dropped the stone and then it rolled to the Anduin.
Well, I'm not sure exactly what the stones were made of, but whatever it was, it was pretty heavy. (the stone Wormtongue threw out the window cracked the stairs into Orthanc) Also, this stone was too big for just one person at a time to carry it, and nearly 1/3 of that tower is missing. Wherever it fell, the palantir on the top floor would not be near the foot of the tower, and lore says it fell in the river...

Seems like the two options for the osgiliath-stone would be
1: Still inside Osgiliath limits, possibly covered in some mud
or 2: A little bit downstream only, as its weight would not allow the river to take it all the way to the sea

I feel like there's no way the Palantir would have been "lost forever" if it just fell straight down and got stuck in the mud, since it'd then be a (relatively) easy matter to fish it out again. The way I see it, it was either carried away by Anduin entirely (which remember was a very wide and deep river at that point, certainly much more so than we can show in MC), or else buried under tons of rubble and eventually entombed in mud.

I was thinking... maybe we could put the beacon/palantir down in the water somewhere, covered up entirely except for one gravel slab. It would make derpy water, but also would still have a very, very dim glow, which would be really cool.

I saw you finished the Palantír tower, so... what about the stone itself :) ?
I still think that it could reasonably be placed half buried in mud as an Easter egg somewhere. (Half slabs maybe)
However, that would kind of ruin the "it was never found" mystique about it I suppose.

You could place up further in Anduin, outside Osgiliath, or even in Belegaer :) .

You could place up further in Anduin, outside Osgiliath, or even in Belegaer :) .
But this thing was a massive stone. It's very unlikely it would have made its way very far down the river at all, probably not even outside of Osgiliath before being buried in mud.

But this thing was a massive stone. It's very unlikely it would have made its way very far down the river at all, probably not even outside of Osgiliath before being buried in mud.
And the Anduin is a "massive" river. In my opinion, it makes sens. But not required either.

And the Anduin is a "massive" river. In my opinion, it makes sens. But not required either.
Well, if it required several men to lift it, I bet that if it fell into the river it could reasonably weigh enough to sink to the bottom almost instantly into the mud, at that very spot. If anyone argues that someone would have already found it by now, we could just tell them that in real life, it wouldn't be so easy to get to it. After all, our Anduin doesn't even have a current.

It doesn't matter how big the Anduin is, the stone required multiple people to pick it up and move it. It's a massive, heavy rock. It wouldn't be carried far at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.