• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Optifine Will Not Install

DFWMedic

Builds trees by hand
Supporter
Credits
XP
According to the directions for installing Optifine, one should simply click the .jar file and it will install automatically to Minecraft's Default Location.

This is not the case, there is no automatic installer. Clicking the jar file just opens up WinZip (or whatever your default file compression program is) and allows you to extract four different files that are already extracted: Log4J something, META-INF, and net.

I have copied every file from the optifine download and pasted it into C:\...\...\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft and have no change in the game launcher as indicated with the directions for Optifine.

What am I doing wrong?

Do u have java installed? not the mc client but the code thingy idk reslly whst it is but it is requiered for optifine

Hmm when clicking a jar file and it opens Winzip, it looks like Windows associates .jar to be opened by WinZip. Can you check under `Default Programs` that .jar files are to be processed by the JRE you have installed?

An easier method : you could also try to right click the jar and use 'Open with...' and then select the Java platform SE binary.

Hey there!
if you are using the new launcher you cannot just install optifine anymore.
one of the file names changed which is crucial for optifine to find.
there is a file in your .minecraft folder called launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json this is a renamed file in the new launcher.
optifine however is looking for this file: launcher_profiles.json
to fix this issue you simply change the file name in your folder from launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json to launcher_profiles.json .
after you've done this you can just continue your regular optifine download.

I'm not sure which version of the launcher I'm using, but the file in question is already named launcher_profiles.json

As for the right-click and open with, I did that and absolutely nothing happened at all.

I've uninstalled Java and reinstalled it and then tried it again. Still nothing.

Hey, DFW, have you tried Jarfix yet? You simply download it and double-click it to use it in your downloads. It fixed the OptiFine install for me a few years ago and it solved it for someone else maybe a year ago as well.

I have not, this is the first I am hearing of this potential wonder drug for my computer.

"As for the right-click and open with, I did that and absolutely nothing happened at all." This sounds very much like something I had and fixed with Jarfix, so I'd give it a go.

As a last resort, you can try installing Forge for 1.16.5 and opening the installed version in the launcher. Once you've opened the Forge 1.16.5 version in the launcher, it'll create a .mods folder in your .minecraft folder. With that, stick OptiFine for 1.16.5 into the mods folder and reopen the game using the Forge 1.16.5 version. That should also work.

EDIT: I have found out why it didn't work. Minecraft is 1.18.1 and Optifine 1.16.5 cannot see it. I have the most up to date version of Optifine now and it works perfectly. The Mordor Resource Pack, that is apparently giving people a lot of trouble w/o Optifine, looks amazing.

Last edited: