• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Osgiliath Maritime Concern

Yudaz

Expert Stream Digger
Credits
XP
Hello,

I was exploring Osgiliath this evening, and I thought how beautiful it was. As I was I exploring, I saw a ship that was placed in the air ready for launch in the water.

426qugn8568wfedbd5dl.png

The ship is very classy, that's not my concern.

kve4idhitj7ice2p64xk.png

The ship is located in the middle of a big river or a fjord (something like that). Behind it, there's a bridge.

t99vdjdjpa642i6ghvwv.png

That bridge is very small, and there's no chance that this ship can pass under that bridge. The ship simply can't turn direction in that river - it's not wide enough for the length of the ship. So, my concern is how did this ship got there turning that direction?

There's even a nice construction near it for loading and unloading, but ships of that size has no possibility to get into that location with being able to get out. The ship isn't very big.

I really hope you reconsider the location of this ship, or make the brigde bigger so that a ship of that size can pass under it.

Thanks,
- my little concern.

I am not sure that those ships were ever meant to be pasted in per say. I think they were concepts done by @Glovenator so I am not sure what he had planned for them. Though I appreciated the concern :D

It should be noted that there are often small versions of builds floating over the main build that are used to test certain things to do with the primary builds themselves. There are also little things that the staff build for fun while working, I can assure you that these things will be fixed before the build is done.

I just make them when I get bored and save them as schematics, they'll be removed later. They aren't really meant to be placed anywhere at all actually. And if anything I was making them for possible placement at a southern port in the future, not Osgiliath. As far as realism ill mention that i am not a sailor IRL. I just try to make them look good, lol. But I'll do a little research next time I make one.

Nice to know that it isn't a final placement.

But, another concern, regarding the ships in Osgiliath. When ships are docked, or for that matter are sailing inside narrow canals/rivers, it is very unlikely that they have the seals open. The wind can possibly be so strong that it breaks the mooring, or sails the ship on land.

However, I do understand that they look better with the sails open :p

If you look at locations such as Harlond, you can see that we build or docked ships with the sails up, and usually we avoid putting ships in tiny rivers anyways :)

I believe this topic has been addressed and should be moved to the discussion section of the forums (maybe locked if its all good with Yudaz)