• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Osgo Project - Osgiliath

Wodleth

One Of Us, One of Us
Supporter
Credits
XP
Osgiliath
Project leader: wodleth
Reserve leader: will_em
Project Staff: ryanturambar

Background Lore:
Capital city in the early days of Gondor. Osgiliath was located on the Great River Anduin, with buildings on both banks of the river. Minas Tirith was about 15 miles from Osgiliath on the western side of the Anduin. On the eastern side was the land of Ithilien between the river and the borders of Mordor.
Osgiliath was a large and beautiful city. One of its main buildings was the Dome of Stars, where the chief palantir was kept. The Kings of Gondor ruled from the Great Hall of Osgiliath and they dwelled in the King's House.

Between the two parts of the city was a great stone bridge with towers and houses upon it, and there were a number of lesser bridges as well. On the river banks were landings for the ships that carried people and trade goods up and down the Anduin from Wilderland in the north to the Bay of Belfalas in the south.

A road led through Osgiliath between Minas Ithil (later Minas Morgul) on the east side of the river and Minas Anor(later Minas Tirith) on the west side. The road then continued westward through the Gap of Rohan and turned north to Fornost in the North-kingdom of Arnor. In the early days of Gondor, this was called the Royal Road, later known as theGreat West Road and the North-South Road.

Osgiliath was founded by Isildur and Anarion, the sons of Elendil, when the realm of Gondor was established in 3320 of the Second Age. Elendil, the High King, dwelled in the North-kingdom of Arnor while his sons jointly ruled Gondor in the south. Their thrones were side by side in the Great Hall of Osgiliath.

Anarion defended Osgiliath when Sauron attacked Gondor in 3429 and drove him back to Mordor. Sauron was defeated in the War of the Last Alliance in 3441. In the Third Age, Anarion's descendants became the Kings of Gondor and for a time they continued to rule from Osgiliath.

During the civil war of the Kin-strife, King Eldacar was besieged in Osgiliath by rebels. Osgiliath was captured in 1437 and the rebels burned and pillaged the city and slaughtered many of its inhabitants including Eldacar's son Ornendil. The Dome of Stars was destroyed and the palantir was lost in the waters of the Anduin. The rebel leader Castamirusurped the throne of Gondor and moved his capital to Pelargir. He ruled for 10 years before Eldacar defeated him in 1447 and took up the kingship again in Osgiliath.

The Great Plague came out of the East in 1636 and devastated Gondor. Osgiliath was hit the hardest. Many of the city's inhabitants died includingKing Telemnar and all his children. Telemnar's nephew Tarondor became king and in 1640 he moved the capital of Gondor from Osgiliath to Minas Anor - later known as Minas Tirith.

Some people remained in Osgiliath, but the city was largely abandoned and it began to fall into ruin. In 2475, black Uruks from Mordor invaded Ithilien and captured Osgiliath. The Uruks were driven back by Boromir, son of the Denethor I (not to be confused with Boromir of the Fellowship), but the city of Osgiliath was ruined and the great bridge across the Anduin was broken. The remaining inhabitants fled and the city stood empty.

In TA 3019, Beregond recounted to Pippin how Gondor recaptured East Osgiliath a few decades before the War of the Ring, for use as a military outpost and to secure a crossing of the Anduin. In June 3018, however, a detachment of Sauron's forces, led by a Nazgûl, again took the east bank, and the defenders, led by Boromir and Faramir, were forced to retreat, destroying the bridge they had built.

Plans:

KPlqeTZ.png

Red: First District
Green: Second District
Pink: Third District
Blue: Fourth District
Yellow: Special area - Staff only

Light Green: Heavily ruined areas and more barricades

JOBS:
(Wait for a Foreman to start one. They will explain more)

Ruin design can be found at /warp Osgoruin
  1. First thing to do when ruining is to remove all trees and bushes.
  2. Secondly, replace all grass with dirt/gravel/clay
  3. Dig holes and impact crates in the ground, 1-3 deep with smooth edges
  4. Remove all interior from the houses, do not remove wooden floors and wooden supports, just furniture and the like
  5. Start ruining the houses, big holes and collapses. Remember, this isnt old and decayed, it's ruined by war, so roofs and other things would only have collapse if a boulder from a catapult/trebuchet would have impacted there
  6. Tidy up the ruined holes, add some stairs/slabs to make pillars and such nicer
  7. Add rubble, bricks, spruce wood planks and cobble inside/outside houses
  8. Add scaffolding/defensive barriers and barricades (Only in heavily ruined areas)
  9. Add tiny bushes here and there

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

Last edited:
I saw that lots of houses are marked out in the rich district. Are you pasting the RichOsgoFB houses outside that area, or not using them anymore, or something else?

I saw that lots of houses are marked out in the rich district. Are you pasting the RichOsgoFB houses outside that area, or not using them anymore, or something else?
I'm pasting those houses on the west end of the district

Slow progress, I've been working on the roads and trying to do some jobs but I can't go full foreman on it with my exams. We're also finishing some houses and wod hs been planning more stuff for later on. If you wanna help with the houses, contact wod for more info.

I have been checking the past few days, and there are never jobs available, and if they are, they are never at appropriate times due to the time zones. So are there any jobs at all? or are they all at a specific time?

Thanks for any replies

I have been checking the past few days, and there are never jobs available, and if they are, they are never at appropriate times due to the time zones. So are there any jobs at all? or are they all at a specific time?

Thanks for any replies
Last night there was a road job.
And a few of those have been before (gmt+1 around 9pm)

Yup like aaldim says, I'm doing stuff in the evening when I'm done with my daytime activities.
Most of these jobs include roads, details and small things but if you'd like to go for a house (and be added on the osgobuilderteam), they should contact me via teamspeak or the forums. I can't promise you'll be able to help since we are a bit strict on the quality of the houses we put in.
Cheers!

Thanks for any replies
There are jobs, but due to the current projects, there are not as many. You see, our current projects are Osgiliath, Minas Tirith (almost done:D), Ithilien, and Cair Andros. Since Osgiliath and Minas Tirith are cities, we need houses, which are mostly built on freebuilds or by artists. In Ithilien, terraforming is the only current activity, which is basically staff only. On Cair Andros, it is only buildings that are needed currently, and these are built by artists.
However, if our current projects were, for example, in Rohan or the Shire, there would be a lot of roads and grassing that would need doing, so there would be many jobs for that. If you wanted even more jobs, you'd have to wait until we were doing a marsh like Nindalf or the Dead Marshes. The only effective way to do them is by having public jobs, which means that there is almost always a job running.

Hope that explains it!

P.S. All of my example projects are already completed; they were simply the first good examples that I could think of;)

@thatbozo yes and no, most common houses are build on location, but when we need some special designs or want to testsome stuff out, we do that on the plotworld and then past inthe stuff we want. It depends a bit who leads the project on how something is done. I for instance tend to do more on location work, while others use plot world more often and then paste in everything.

Again for jobs, I'm really busy so I can only do european evening hours and even then it depends on my free time. Other foreman are mostly helping on terraforming in ithilien and when that's done, I reckon more jobs will be available. Bare with us guys, for most staff these are busy times.