• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Paths of the Dead

I don't really understand what the "fake exit" is meant to be...
Y2yFra6.png

QChcdX2.png

Yeah, I have already seen it, but is it connectaed to the other tunnels? And what is it supposed to be, I mean in Middle-earth. Is it supposed to trick the travelers?

Hurm... The work accomplished is absolutely amazing but...

I noticed an aqueduct that doesn't look finished... Where's the water?
iORotOf.png

Also, I know it was meant to be connected to the other side of the cave, but there's a stalactite right in the middle of its path...
1419876309-2014-12-29-15-23-20.png

Plus two forgotten double wool blocks:
1419876061-2014-12-29-15-24-13.png

Finally, I think it would be cool to add a warp at Erech. So we would have a warp both sides, like for Moria.

Last edited:
Wow this came out amazing.

One quick question though: I don't feel like digging out my book at the moment, but from what I can vaguely remember, wasn't the Morthond (Blackroot) supposed to have its source right below where the Paths had their exit? Just from looking around on dynmap I can't get a good sense of which stream is supposed to be it, since there aren't any that seem to flow into that valley. Or else it'll be added in later and this is generally meaningless.

Hmm good point @PD_Top_Gun but I think we might wanna do that when we build the landscape and towns there. I'll try to remember it and if you see a post opening for that area, then it might be good mentioning it on there again just to doublecheck.
Peacr

Will do. I'll go dig up my weather-beaten ROTK copy and find the relevant quote, too.

Edit: Okay, got it. There's a lot more here than I remember. (I could read Tolkien describe landscapes all damn day.)

So at the end of the Paths, just as Gimli is getting desperate, "Suddenly he heard the tinkle of water, a sound hard and clear as a stone falling into a dream of dark shadow. Light grew, and lo! the company passed through another gateway, high-arched and broad, and a rill ran out beside them; and beyond, going steeply down, was a road between sheer cliffs, kinfe-edged against the sky far above. So deep and narrow was that chasm that the sky was dark, and in it small stars glinted."

Skipping a bit: "The Company came at last out of the ravine, as suddenly as if they had issued from a crack in the wall; and there lay the uplands of a great vale before them, and the stream beside them went down with a cold voice over many falls." So it sounds like the Morthond actually comes out of the Paths exit, which would work well with the stream that's already built into the end, if it's just extended to the exit. Also apparently the Morthond has its mouths near Dol Amroth, which I didn't realize.

And just for future work in this area: "The Morthond Vale made a great bay that beat up against the sheer southern faces of the mountains. Its steep slopes were grass-grown; but all was grey in that hour, for the sun had gone, and far below lights twinkled in the homes of Men. The vale was rich and many folk dwelt there...So without looking back they rode the mountain-fields, until they came to a bridge over the growing torrent and found a road that went down into the land." So we'll definitely want to have a few farms or small hamlets in that area. Our depiction of Erech itself is dead-on to the text.

And finally, it's probably already planned out, but here's the rest of their route: "They passed Tarlang's Neck and came into Lamedon; and the Shadow Host pressed behind and fear went on before them, until they came to Calembel upon Ciril, and the sun went down like blood behind Pinnath Gelin away in the West behind them. The township and the fords of Ciril they found deserted..." I'm not sure what (if anything) we know about any of those locations. The description beyond that comes from the chapter "The Last Debate," when Legolas and Gimli are telling Merry and Pippin about what happened after the battle.

(If there's one single thing I can do to contribute to this project, it's to annoy people with walls of quotes. :D)

Last edited:
Will do. I'll go dig up my weather-beaten ROTK copy and find the relevant quote, too.

Edit: Okay, got it. There's a lot more here than I remember. (I could read Tolkien describe landscapes all @#!*% day.)

So at the end of the Paths, just as Gimli is getting desperate, "Suddenly he heard the tinkle of water, a sound hard and clear as a stone falling into a dream of dark shadow. Light grew, and lo! the company passed through another gateway, high-arched and broad, and a rill ran out beside them; and beyond, going steeply down, was a road between sheer cliffs, kinfe-edged against the sky far above. So deep and narrow was that chasm that the sky was dark, and in it small stars glinted."

Skipping a bit: "The Company came at last out of the ravine, as suddenly as if they had issued from a crack in the wall; and there lay the uplands of a great vale before them, and the stream beside them went down with a cold voice over many falls." So it sounds like the Morthond actually comes out of the Paths exit, which would work well with the stream that's already built into the end, if it's just extended to the exit. Also apparently the Morthond has its mouths near Dol Amroth, which I didn't realize.

And just for future work in this area: "The Morthond Vale made a great bay that beat up against the sheer southern faces of the mountains. Its steep slopes were grass-grown; but all was grey in that hour, for the sun had gone, and far below lights twinkled in the homes of Men. The vale was rich and many folk dwelt there...So without looking back they rode the mountain-fields, until they came to a bridge over the growing torrent and found a road that went down into the land." So we'll definitely want to have a few farms or small hamlets in that area. Our depiction of Erech itself is dead-on to the text.

And finally, it's probably already planned out, but here's the rest of their route: "They passed Tarlang's Neck and came into Lamedon; and the Shadow Host pressed behind and fear went on before them, until they came to Calembel upon Ciril, and the sun went down like blood behind Pinnath Gelin away in the West behind them. The township and the fords of Ciril they found deserted..." I'm not sure what (if anything) we know about any of those locations. The description beyond that comes from the chapter "The Last Debate," when Legolas and Gimli are telling Merry and Pippin about what happened after the battle.

(If there's one single thing I can do to contribute to this project, it's to annoy people with walls of quotes. :D)
The company of the dead (that's what I call it at least) passed through Linhir too didn't they?

Yup, that's mentioned when Legolas and Gimli are telling the story. They crossed over the rivers Ciril and Ringlo going across southern Gondor, and eventually made it to Linhir, which was on the Gilrain. There was a fight going on between the men of Lamedon (which I guess is the name of that region) and soldiers from Harad and Umbar, but everyone turned tail and ran away when the scary dead people showed up. Then they rode across the plains of Lebennin until they finally reached Pelargir.

Yup, that's mentioned when Legolas and Gimli are telling the story. They crossed over the rivers Ciril and Ringlo going across southern Gondor, and eventually made it to Linhir, which was on the Gilrain. There was a fight going on between the men of Lamedon (which I guess is the name of that region) and soldiers from Harad and Umbar, but everyone turned tail and ran away when the scary dead people showed up. Then they rode across the plains of Lebennin until they finally reached Pelargir.
It's a great story to tell around the campfire! :)

Reactions: B_n
Yeah so pd, remember that what you just posted and put it on the thread for the terrain when it opens up on the forums. Otherwise it will be forgotten.