• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Cancelled Perrin99's artist application

Perrin99

Dirt Conaisseur
Credits
XP
  • Date: 5[SUP]th [/SUP]May 2020
  • Jobs and Plotbuilds:
-minor terrain work with Oberanio;
-cave work in Moria with Bart;
-derp fixing (replacing signs-old chorus plant) with Mithrilled;
  • Themed-builds:
-Mineshaft
-Water-Wind mill
-Docks (WIP) (my last themed build and what I'm currently working on)
  • Additional Builds:
I'm part of Llama's building team (of which I am one of the admin), at the moment working on the city but I have also designed some structural elements for the Vault.
-Vault - Wall design
-Vault - Railing design
-Vault - Window design
-Vault - Library design
-Vault - Small Entrance
-Vault - Interior design
-Vault - Wing End design
City:
-City - Fort wall design
-City - Customhouse design
-City - Gatehouse
-City - House design
-City - Plan
-City - Tower
-City - Wall concepts
Some builds outside from the server:
-Arena
-Spawn
  • Your interests:
I love castles, fortifications and forts. In fact I like both building them and visiting them irl. I live in a zone with some big medieval buildings and with a lot of history. Generally speaking I like building, just building. I've never been a survival MC player, more like a builder. I don't think I've even started a single player survival world. I consider myself good at big buildings both in planning and building. I prefer to work in a team than alone even if sometimes I like to take some time alone to plan everything in my mind. I have a pretty good imagination and sometimes I can even have some good ideas. I like realism and functionality but sometimes also trying some fantasy buildings.
  • Your motivation:
I want to become artist because I'd really like to contribute to the main world. I was amazed by the beauty of the server and I'd like to build something able to inspire the same feeling in whoever will join the server in the future. Also the possibility to use WE would largely increase the range of my building skills allowing me to save a lot of time in case of repetitive works. I've always liked to build and to play in creative and this server represents the power and the huge possibilities of a creative inventory, since this is one of the best (if not the best) build servers.

Hey @Perrin99 Thank you for applying for Artist!

It's up to you to keep updating this application. I will check in from time to time and give feedback when I think it's needed. This thread might help you as well.

- Initial tip would be to pay attention and to replicate the styles used in the main world and Moria, moreover the latest projects in those areas.

Good luck!

Today I worked on some wall designs for the city: the plan (also made by me) expect some 3 blocks long segment and some 6 blocks long segment (in this case I tried some expedients to make it looks like the base was "uneven-number-long of blocks).
Wall designs

As requested, I'll give some feedback to your application.

First some nitpicking, concrete feedback to the placement of blocks:
I'll ignore your first theme build, because you obviously already improved without feedback.

Your docks theme build (link) is better, but very straight. The balloon only has some curvature at the ends. The docks themselves are also very straight. Useful rule of thumb: if you feel like WorldEdit would do 90% of the building process, it probably means that your building process has too many massive planes and cubes and too few details. I'll refine this rule of thumb in the future.
The ship is quite okay. The prow could use improvement.

Your next theme build, water, is already much better. Pretty much perfect level of details: not too much, not too few. Streams through fields are very common in theme builds by adventurers/commoners, but they're not realistic. They would wash away the crops. Water comes from the clouds and underground water flow. The windmill is a bit out of proportion: the round base is too large compared to the top part. Otherwise it's really quite good. Last things: take a close look at the main map for roads (don't use default path blocks; keep them horizontally straight) and I don't see the point of the little walls across the wheat field. The fences on the brick walls don't work great. But a good theme build.

Looking at both the half dome, the portico entrance (from freebuild) and also again at the balloon, I recommend to take a close look at how domes are built (Pelargir has many examples). Basically: build a horizontal circle; build a small vertical semicircle on the first blocks of the horizontal circle; build a larger vertical semicircle behind the first semicircle, again following the horizontal circle layout; continue doing this till you have built vertical semicircles following all blocks of the horizontal circle.
If you did this correctly, you can do the same from another angle of the horizontal circle (if you rotate your perspective 90 degrees and move) and it will overlap with what you did from the other angle.

Brb with an explaining GIF.

Last edited:
So instead of building horizontal layers (start with a large horizontal circle, put a smaller horizontal circle on top of that etc), build vertical layers.