• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Populations of Towns in the Shire (based on number of beds in each town)

RedRockPro

Is going on an adventure!
Credits
XP
What can I say? I was bored and had a few hours to spare, so I decided to estimate the populations of all the towns in the Shire based on the number of beds in each town. So without further ado, I present to you:

The Shire - 619

Northfarthing - 76
Hardbottle (all the way in the south of the Shire on the server, I was told there was a reason for this though? )- 27
Long Cleeve - 10
Greenfields - 16
Aldham (not really a town, but maybe add a warp here?) - 4
Oatbarton - 19

Westfarthing - 346
Nobottle - 14
Litting Delving - 19
Michel Delving (capital of the Shire, and has many large buildings, but a relatively small population, maybe add more houses?) - 25
Needlehole - 14
Greenholm - 17
Tuckborough - 77 (57 of which are in the Great Smials)
Tookbank - 16
Whitwell - 12
Waymeet - 6
Hobbiton - 52
Bywater - 36
Overhill - 17
Tighfield - 9
Needlehole - 14
Gamwich - 18

Southfarthing - 104
Longbottom - 46
Pincup - 11
Sackville - 21
Sarn Ford - 26

Eastfarthing - 193
Brockenbores - 8
Dwaling - 15
Budgeford - 20
Scary - 15
Whitfurrows - 12
Stock - 50
Rushey - 12
Frogmorton - 20
Deephallow - 7
Willombottom - 14
Woodhall - 20

I'm pretty sure I also did this once (didn't share it though) ... I wonder where it went. Anyway, did you count all the beds in inns? They wouldn't necessarily be occupied and shouldn't count for population.

I'm pretty sure I also did this once (didn't share it though) ... I wonder where it went. Anyway, did you count all the beds in inns? They wouldn't necessarily be occupied and shouldn't count for population.
I did, but only because I felt without out that number, it would just be too small. Also, I assumed one of the rooms would be for the Innkeeper. These numbers aren;t very accurate anyways though. It's not like there would only be 600 hobbits in the entire Shire.

I think it's a good math situation to look at. You're absolutely right - there aren't only 600 or so Hobbits in the Shire or else every living soul in the Shire would indeed have been in attendance at Bilbo's Birthday. That said - our map isn't on a 1:1 scale with the size of Middle-Earth and therefore the amount of inhabitants has been forced to shrink significantly as well... There is no exact number for the actual size of villages to the size we've chosen for MCME but you can be sure to multiply your answer by anything between 50-100 to find the actual number of inhabitants of the Shire :)

Great work! Interesting to see how high population we would have, next up Dol Amroth? xD
I believe the number of houses alone greatly surpasses the number of beds in the Shire and considering that we actually took family sizes into consideration when we built DA with the average being around 3-4 people per house if I recall right so there would be way more beds in DA.

This is perfect for the role play plugin. We were wondering at some point about the amount of npcs and how many houses we would be able to sell to players without decimating the population.

This is perfect for the role play plugin. We were wondering at some point about the amount of npcs and how many houses we would be able to sell to players without decimating the population.
So the RPP is still going? How's it going with it?

No progress in a while as eriol was busy with the 1.13 update and Paul with school.