• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Question when it comes to abandoning.

Nickwazhero

Expert Stream Digger
Credits
XP
When building I've been told that when making buildings abandoned, wood should be removed from the building completely, It also says this in the builderschool on the section on abandoning.

My question is, when a building is almost exclusively made of wood (Like a rohan house for example) what rules apply and what doesn't when it doesn't happen to be stone buildings being abandoned?

The build i'm asking this for if your wondering would appear more or less to be vacated and only abandoned for a max 100 years. Like a farmhouse I guess.

This discussion is mostly in reference to pre-3rd age builds like old Arnorian cities/ruins of Fornost etc. Rohan is still a thriving race of Men. The only time you might see something like this is with villages that may have been raided?

This discussion is mostly in reference to pre-3rd age builds like old Arnorian cities/ruins of Fornost etc. Rohan is still a thriving race of Men. The only time you might see something like this is with villages that may have been raided?
He's wondering about a personal build.

My thoughts are that you would ruin it somewhat like ruining a normal stone building. It would probably be about as ruined as Tharbad, which was in decline for about 1,300 years and then abandoned for almost 100 before the time our server is set at. This, I would think, would be fairly similar to a wooden building that had been abandoned for 100 years. If there's no objections to this comparison, and you decide to "use it," then keep in mind that Tharbad is a very different style from your build.

Its a personal build, I was just using Rohan houses as a reference to what the houses would be like; Mostly wood and such.

Building is kind of a personal preference. Usually when the builders of MCME ruin things on the sever it will vary as to how much. Places like Ost-in-edhil, Fornost and Tharbad, we would ruin little as ruining would "ruin" the aesthetic feel of the build. But places like the villages we put in Eregion we demolished to the foundations. I would suggest for your build that you keep the general shape of the building but take into account what climate you are placing the building in. If you are going for a realistic feel 100 years is more than enough time for wood to rot away(depending on the environment).

All im doing is a homestead in the middle of a corn or wheat field, Family moved out, no one moved back in. Like that kind of abandoned.

pd3320985.jpg
Like this kind of. Though the building being more homey and inricate.

i would then suggest the shape of the build remain intact but maybe part of the roof caved-in or maybe just some holes in the roofing. if you would like some in game advice or even tips of building just give a shout to a build staff. If they have time i am sure they will help you

Abandoned is not the same as ruining in building terms.

What you've got to figure out is how old the build is, what happened to it and what the climate/weather might have done.
For example:
House in lond daer. Made mostly of stone and wood. It's older than 1000 years and no wood could survive that (meaning that it mostly won't look realistic and adding wood makes it younger looking). Lond daer also got sieged and burnt so no wood. Stone also got stolen and reused for other stuff so that makes everything very broken down.

Example 2: old rohan manor, 100 years, nothing happened, calm climate
Much of the structure would be standing in these conditions. Think about some voctorian villas that are still standing. You'll have to make it crooked and really sketchy though since it lost some of it's sturdiness.
If it's in a wet stormy climate, then I reckon the roof would be collapsed and plants would grow everywhere. But wood would still remain.

So mainly you wanna think about how omd something is and if possible do some research. Stylewise ruins don't have wood mostly, abandoned buildings could have wood.

Hope that helps!

i would then suggest the shape of the build remain intact but maybe part of the roof caved-in or maybe just some holes in the roofing. if you would like some in game advice or even tips of building just give a shout to a build staff. If they have time i am sure they will help you
I agree. Ill probably make the roof caved in, Like say its a simple stair triangle roof, I would lower the height of the stairs at one point, or even make it a part where it keeps going lower and lower into a hole in the second floor ceiling. I might tear out a part of the wall to, small as it may be.
Example 2: old rohan manor, 100 years, nothing happened, calm climate
Much of the structure would be standing in these conditions. Think about some victorian villas that are still standing. You'll have to make it crooked and really sketchy though since it lost some of it's sturdiness.
If it's in a wet stormy climate, then I reckon the roof would be collapsed and plants would grow everywhere. But wood would still remain.

So mainly you wanna think about how old something is and if possible do some research. Stylewise ruins don't have wood mostly, abandoned buildings could have wood.

Hope that helps!

It would be the second one if anything. I will probably put tall grass in the actual inside of the house at points, maybe even flowers to give it a "Beautifully Depressing" look. It'll definitely have my beloved Azure Bluets :D

I can't really art very well myself, but this would be a build topic that seems ripe for real-world inspiration. Searching for "abandoned houses/farms" on Google Images would probably bring up a whole slew of examples, so you can see what buildings tend to look like after that much time has passed.

If it's in a very cold climate, it can survive intact indefinitely. There are abandoned wooden structures in Russia that have survived a century or more and are still structurally sound.

Reactions: B_n