• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Rank changes, the baseline configuration and new plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.

q220

Eru Iluvatar
Staff member
Supporter
Credits
XP
This Monday 1st September there will be a scheduled downtime for the build server, while I push forward some changes to our ranks system. Build ranks will be merged into one new one rank, and will also see new functionality as I replace and add some new plugins that will aid them.

Once this setup is fully complete, and when I'm happy with the results, that setup/configuration will act as a baseline across all our servers, so that each server will work very similarly (obviously each server will have a specific need, but the commands and plugins that handle most of the 'behind the screen' work will be the same to offer consistency).

A more detailed post will follow during the 1st September.

Do note however that the changes that are going to be enacted, are based on a theory. It will need some time to check if they actually increase productivity and our working methods. During this period I will analyse and adjust settings, configuration and rank permissions where necessary.

Build ranks will be merged into one new one rank, and will also see new functionality as I replace and add some new plugins that will aid them.
Does "build ranks" include artists, or only staff ranks?

Q, that's not a fair thing to do to us commoners man. Otherwise why did we even bother to complete a tb as part of the rank app? I remember spending a whole night, literally from dawn to dusk, on a tb so i could set pvt warps and fly, and now the ability to fly is no longer something you have to earn, as it should be. Before if you saw someone flying you know they at least cared enough about the server to take the time to complete a rank app, even if it only was commoner.

Q, that's not a fair thing to do to us commoners man. Otherwise why did we even bother to complete a tb as part of the rank app? I remember spending a whole night, literally from dawn to dusk, on a tb so i could set pvt warps and fly, and now the ability to fly is no longer something you have to earn, as it should be. Before if you saw someone flying you know they at least cared enough about the server to take the time to complete a rank app, even if it only was commoner.

All the way from Dawn to Dusk? That long, eh?
2qa09b4.jpg

Honestly a few hours is nothing. Thats the amount of time I spent laying out framework for some of my bigger builds that Im doing. And if you truly want to show you care about the server, then get Artist or Ranger. Commoner only showed enough dedication to put some blocks in a small plot and write a forum post. Even better, if you want to show dedication...stop worrying about prestige and titles and help build the main server world. Distinction here is made by the entire community. You should do TBs just for the sake of doing them. I dont do the ones that Im not interested in. I did my first and second TBs because I wanted to build something.

2qa09b4.jpg

Honestly a few hours is nothing. Thats the amount of time I spent laying out framework for some of my bigger builds that Im doing. And if you truly want to show you care about the server, then get Artist or Ranger. Commoner only showed enough dedication to put some blocks in a small plot and write a forum post. Even better, if you want to show dedication...stop worrying about prestige and titles and help build the main server world. Distinction here is made by the entire community. You should do TBs just for the sake of doing them. I dont do the ones that Im not interested in. I did my first and second TBs because I wanted to build something.

Those who know me know darn well I legitimately care about the server. The whole point of differentiating thralls and commoners in the first place was in part to show the difference between people who are either new to the server or don't care about it very much and people who may not be rangers, artists, but any of the higher ranks, but still care enough to dedicate some time and effort to show it.

The point of commoner wasn't to show the difference between new and old people, that makes no logical sense. And last I checked, spending two weeks and doing one themed build didn't found as dedication. Anyone can wait two weeks and do a themed build. Your attitude is poor, and reflects poorly on this great community. If you're as dedicated as you claim, you'd know there is more than a rank. Your reputation is your name, not your rank. There are commoners and thralls that have put more work into this server than two weeks and a themed build. The Anduin River was dug by many of them. Commoner meant you were trusted with your reputation. Not that you achieved anything for waiting around for two weeks. It's wonderful that you'd like to be dedicated to this server, but your words don't match you actions. Complaining about it, isn't going to bring you any respect. Respect is earned, not given. You are given commoner when you complete two simple tasks. Please be more thoughtful in the future.

2qa09b4.jpg

I think that applying for artist or ranger shows dedication.

If we'd add back the 8 TB minimum rule, then Artist would show some dedication... and guys, please, let's not turn this into a fight. We're all friends here and can do better being kind to one another. Speedy, naug isn't looking for respect or a reputation. He is looking for a way for people to show that they have been around more than 5 minutes before applying for a very trusted rank such as Artist.

P.S: Speedy, lovin dat Stig ;)

But artist isn't there to show how dedicated you are, and please don't try to turn the rank into that. It's a arnk for people who are capable builders and we should keep it that way.

The point still stands. The emotional plea to have commoner back, is that the community acts like a child that had a toy taken away and is crying about it. There are more ways to show dedication than a title. Those players who know that, are known. Your argument suggests that being the same rank as a new player meals you less of a player. However, I believe players who have shown their dedication will be known by their name. The logic and perspective is in the wrong place. The issue isn't whether a player is dedicated or trusted. It is about a rank that no longer servers a purpose with the current build server's permissions.

Alright speedy. I can agree with that. Rank, like MaD said, isn't about having a reputation. If you're ACTUALLY respected, then people will know you. However I'd still like to see a minimum time limit before one can apply for artist, and this is out of caring for the server so Bounders don't constantly have to roll things back because a new Artist got on and griefed the whole place because he/she didn't care at all about it. It's like a relationship. The more time and energy you put into it, the more you will love and care about it. I could personally care less about being respected, but I would like it if the hard work of others was respected by not letting potential griefers get creative mode on the build server.

Alright speedy. I can agree with that. Rank, like MaD said, isn't about having a reputation. If you're ACTUALLY respected, then people will know you. However I'd still like to see a minimum time limit before one can apply for artist, and this is out of caring for the server so Bounders don't constantly have to roll things back because a new Artist got on and griefed the whole place because he/she didn't care at all about it. It's like a relationship. The more time and energy you put into it, the more you will love and care about it. I could personally care less about being respected, but I would like it if the hard work of others was respected by not letting potential griefers get creative mode on the build server.

Well theoretically, this would be where you would add the title modifier to the rank. Veteran Adventurer or something to that effect. It doesnt rely imply any difference except time and energy spent on the server. I think in such a way, the compromise could be drawn. We would still know who is trusted and who hasn't proven themselves yet.

FOR GOODNESS SAKE! It's not a matter on wether or not there is a negative to having commoner. The fact is, is that the rank servers no purpose other than padding the egos of players who did the minimum to attain it. The rank is obsolete due to the permissions of the build server. Thrall and commoners can only build when they join a job, therefore, there is little to no distinction between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.