• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

So, You want to build?

Will_em

One Of Us, One of Us
Credits
XP
Hey guys and girls,
Since we have a lot of new people around, I thought I'd give some more information on how building works on MCME.

As an Adventurer:
When you start out on mcme, the first rank you get is Adventurer. This rank is the general rank everyone has, and gets from the start. On MCME we try to keep few ranks since we don't want a clutter of hierarchy here and we keep everything functional. You can help on jobs that are kept on the main build server by staff (some more than others, but that doesn't matter). This means that you can't build if you have NOT been given permission to do so. Because we try to maintain a high quality of builds, we don't let everyone mess around for griefing purposes.
Jobs are those occasions when staff give you permission to help out and edit blocks. The supervising designer makes a job and let people join it. To check for a job just simply press /job check.
Most jobs are held on teamspeak, which is a kind of skype for gamers (but without video). They give out instructions and use it as a communication tool. This means that you DON'T have to talk on there, you can just listen and answer through minecraft chat. (I use it everytime, so for me it's no teamspeak=no job).
If you can't seem to get online when a job takes place, then simply ask if there's going to be a job (POLITELY). Don't be afraid to ask, since it's the designers their task to keep the jobs and inform people about them. Keep in mind that the thrall level jobs are very basic things, so you'll not build an entire city while on one.

Some jobs are scheduled! >>This thread<< tells you more on that.

Jobs are also a vital part of getting promoted to Artist, the next higher rank in a career as builder on MCME. More information on getting Artist can be found >>here<<.

As an older member:
If you know your stuff and want some more action, there are two things you can do. One is trying to get artist, but if your building skills aren't up to par, you can always try to look for a way to help out. For example, if you see a derpy forest in a section that is currently being worked on, you can tell the project leader and ask if you can help out to fix it. Be sure that it is something jobable, which means designers won't go starting a job to redesign parts of their build, they still decide how the project gets handled.
If artist is your 'dream', then check out the >>artist/builder feedback thread<< and post on there. Staff will give systematic feedback for any builds you submit once they're finished to help people on their artist application.

I suggest to really use teamspeak when looking for a job because, you can tell whether or not a job is being held by checking the jobs & projects channel. Again, don't be afraid to ask around for ones, especially to rangers and staff.

As an artist:
This rank is sort of the builder assistant for MCME, they can build better than the average, and because of that build more complicated things. If you can't get work as an artist, then don't be afraid to poke staff for more stuff. We always have something to do so there is always something to do for the artist. Stay polite while asking though!

Plotworld:
Plotworld is something different on main server. This is used as a sort of library for staff, to copy and paste stuff in, or to make stencil lists for forests around the map. (Stencil lists are voxel stuff, I won't go into that). This means NO GRIEFING. If you did, bounders will notice and you will get ob'ed or banned from mcme. It also means that plotworlds don't need jobs to be held. Ask if there is something to build up there and IF there is, check on the forums under jobs and projects if there are instructions on there. Ask a staff for directions if you can't find anything. So there doesn't need to be a staff during a plotworld build.

Lastly I want to stress that foreman have the responsibility to organise jobs, so don't hesitate to ask if anything while be done or is being done. And get teamspeak! I can't stress how important it is to get teamspeak. So don't be shy, and ask a guy.

Will out

Edited and updated by Finrod_Amandil
Links updated by Eriol_Eandur

Last edited by a moderator:
Been lurking the forums to learn about the server, sounds like pretty good stuff, Haven't even seen 2% of the server yet.

This needs to be turned into a video, uploaded as a resource and to YouTube Aswell.

#makethishappenprofessionally

Thanks for this valuable information, Will! I've taken the time to add it to the official Next Steps page, so that every Thrall will know exactly what to do! :)

P.S. I also added information about the Rangers and Tours.

Can you provide a link to the Artist Feedback post? I've been searching the forums for it for about 10 minutes now and I can't find it. Was it deleted or something? Please respond! Thanks Will_em!

Updated due to freebuild removal, kept my edits to a minimum, still here's the original text:
Hey guys and girls,
Since we have a lot of new people around, I thought I'd give some more information on how building works on MCME.
Servers:
There is a main build server, on which everything takes place. From big projects to small edits, this is the map of Middle Earth where everything gets made.
There is also a freebuild server, on which you can build..euhm.. well freely and on which the theme builds are being held. Sometimes staff use it as a testing ground for some more complicated stuff.

As an Adventurer:
When you start out on mcme, the first rank you get is Adventurer. This rank is the general rank everyone has, and gets from the start. On MCME we try to keep few ranks since we don't want a clutter of hierarchy here and we keep everything functional. You can help on jobs that are kept on the main build server by staff (some more than others, but that doesn't matter). This means that you can't build if you have NOT been given permission to do so. Because we try to maintain a high quality of builds, we don't let everyone mess around for griefing purposes.
Jobs are those occasions when staff give you permission to help out and edit blocks. The supervising designer makes a job and let people join it. To check for a job just simply press /job check.
Most jobs are held on teamspeak, which is a kind of skype for gamers (but without video). They give out instructions and use it as a communication tool. This means that you DON'T have to talk on there, you can just listen and answer through minecraft chat. (I use it everytime, so for me it's no teamspeak=no job).
If you can't seem to get online when a job takes place, than simply ask if there's going to be a job (POLITELY). Don't be afraid to ask, since it's the designers their task to keep the jobs and inform people about them. Keep in mind that the thrall level jobs are very basic things, so you'll not build an entire city while on one.

If there isn't a job online, you can always visit freebuild to get a theme build going (if you are aspiring for artist: see theme builds forum thread for more information about them) or you can just go on the appropriate world. There are 3 worlds there: the lore world, the non-lore world and the theme build world. Everything tolkien related goes on the lore world, everything non-tolkien goes on the non-lore world, and only theme builds go on the theme build world.

As an older member:
If you know your stuff and want some more action, there are two things you can do. One is trying to get artist, but if your building skills aren't up to par, you can always try to look for a way to help out. For example, if you see a derpy forest in a section that is currently being worked on, you can tell the project leader and ask if you can help out to fix it. Be sure that it is something jobable, which means designers won't go starting a job to redesign parts of their build, they still decide how the project gets handled.
If artist is your 'dream', then check out the artist/builder feedback thread and post on there. I give systematic feedback for theme builds once their finished to help people on their artist application.

I suggest to really use teamspeak when looking for a job because, you can tell whether or not a job is being held by checking the jobs & projects channel. Again, don't be afraid to ask around for ones, especially to rangers and staff.

As an artist:
This rank is sort of the builder assistant for MCME, they can build better than the average, and because of that build more complicated things. If you can't get work as an artist, then don't be afraid to poke staff for more stuff. We always have something to do so there is always something to do for the artist. Stay polite while asking though!

Plotworld:
Plotworld is something different on main server. This is used as a sort of library for staff, to copy and paste stuff in, or to make stencil lists for forests around the map. (Stencil lists are voxel stuff, I won't go into that). This means NO GRIEFING. If you did, bounders will notice and you will get ob'ed or banned from mcme. It also means that plotworlds don't need jobs to be held. Ask if there is something to build up there and IF there is, check on the forums under jobs and projects if there are instructions on there. Ask a staff for directions if you can't find anything. So there doesn't need to be a staff during a plotworld build.

Lastly I want to stress that foreman have the responsibility to organise jobs, so don't hesitate to ask if anything while be done or is being done. And get teamspeak! I can't stress how important it is to get teamspeak. So don't be shy, and ask a guy.

Will out

General note: Currently I am editing a lot of posts that are not mines and I am aware that not everyone may like that. Therefore I also only change the necessary things and try to keep as much as possible of the original content. But as I want these numerous changes to apply to all guides and resources as fast as possible throughout the forums to avoid confusion I edit them myself rather than contacting every single author.
It's important to me that noone thinks I am abusing my perms of editing everyone's posts and that I will always leave more than enough notes to notifiy both readers and authors about the changes I made.

Additionally, Builderschool is currently unavailable, but we are working on getting it back online.