• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Street Lighting in Metropolitan Areas

TheSpeedy_

One Of Us, One of Us
Credits
XP
Was taking some screen shots in Bree during the night, and noticed a lack of lighting for more heavily populated areas. Is it reasonable to believe that there would be some outdoor lighting, such as lamps? It is logical to assume that excluding remote locations, that there would be some lights to illuminate roads during the night.

Last edited:
Constant street lighting would be quite expensive. Not only would the fuel for the lamps be very costly, someone would also have to be paid to refuel all those lamps, as I don't believe the free peoples held slaves. The cities could have been rich enough to furnish those costs. However, I don't think there were any exceptionally rich cities in Middle-earth, or at least not rich enough to want to spend large sums of money on this type of luxury. I could be wrong on this, though.

I think it would have more likely been that people just carried lanterns when they were outside at night;)

I get that. Was curious, but from an aesthetic/artist perspective it would look better, but wasn't necessarily positive it would be lore accurate. I am aware that some cultures used oil to light lamps, that were long lasting (Ancient Judah). Merely seeking a better understanding. Thanks DSE.

I think it would be plausible for there to be lights on the main road (the great east road i.e. where the footprints go) since it is such a major path. In any case I think it make logical and aesthetic sense even if it is unrealistic.

Doubt there would be lights along uninhabited sections, like the Great East Road. But lamp posts on the streets of Bree?
Candle lanterns would be really easy to make and maintain, i don't see why you would need to invest a large amount of money, or hold slaves to have some street lights.

Constant street lighting would be quite expensive. Not only would the fuel for the lamps be very costly, someone would also have to be paid to refuel all those lamps, as I don't believe the free peoples held slaves. The cities could have been rich enough to furnish those costs. However, I don't think there were any exceptionally rich cities in Middle-earth, or at least not rich enough to want to spend large sums of money on this type of luxury. I could be wrong on this, though.

I think it would have more likely been that people just carried lanterns when they were outside at night;)
well if someone would pay me in Turtle points i would do it
Edit: Speedy points will do as well

Last edited:
Doubt there would be lights along uninhabited sections, like the Great East Road. But lamp posts on the streets of Bree?
Candle lanterns would be really easy to make and maintain, i don't see why you would need to invest a large amount of money, or hold slaves to have some street lights.
Perhaps you are correct and it may not take all that much work. I wouldn't call myself an expert on non-electric street lighting:p

There is some lore about lamps in bree in the LotR. When Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin came to Bree the West-gate of Bree was not well lighted by steady laterns:
The Fellowship of the Ring - At the Sign of the Prancing Pony said:
It was dar, and white stars were shining, when Frodo and his companions came at last th the Greenway-crossing and drew near the village. They came to the West-gate and found it shut, but at the door of the lodge beyond it, there was a man sitting. He jumped up and fetched a latern and looked over the gate in surprise.

The main road is also very dark, whereas in front of the Prancing Pony there was a latern:
The Fellowship of the Ring - At the Sign of the Prancing Pony said:
(Merry said: ) 'Here. In the village. I stayed indoors for an hour. Then as you did not come back, I went out for a stroll. I had come back again (to the Prancing Pony) and was standing just outside the light of the lamp looking at the stars. Suddenly I shivered and felt that something horrible was creeping near: there was a sort of deeper shade among the shadows across the road, just beyond the edge of the lamplight. It slid away at once into the the dark without a sound.'

I think most historic medieval towns were very dark at night for the reasons @DSESGH stated above. I believe area-wide lighted streets exist since the early 19th century. The first gas lambs were installed in London around 1800 AD.

I would suggest to place lamps only at major places like in front of the Prancing Pony, where a wealthy man like Butterbur is willing to pay for oil for all the night.

There is some lore about lamps in bree in the LotR. When Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin came to Bree the West-gate of Bree was not well lighted by steady laterns:

The main road is also very dark, whereas in front of the Prancing Pony there was a latern:

I think most historic medieval towns were very dark at night for the reasons @DSESGH stated above. I believe area-wide lighted streets exist since the early 19th century. The first gas lambs were installed in London around 1800 AD.

I would suggest to place lamps only at major places like in front of the Prancing Pony, where a wealthy man like Butterbur is willing to pay for oil for all the night.
Romans had candle lighting in front of most of their houses as early as 500 AD.

I think it was mainly a point of usefulness rather than maintenance or cost issues. Agricultural communities like Bree and the Shire go straight to sleep when the sun sets. So why bother having much lighting at night.

I think it was mainly a point of usefulness rather than maintenance or cost issues. Agricultural communities like Bree and the Shire go straight to sleep when the sun sets. So why bother having much lighting at night.
So perhaps only Gondorian cities...they seem to be the furthest ahead in terms of technology.

Oh yeah, I guess the thread was a suggestion for the other cities as well.....
Well, not necessarily a suggestion, more of an observation. While might it might not be lore/time appropriate for it to be dark, as mentioned earlier, outdoor lighting is more aesthetically pleasing. So I was merely inquiring into the historical/lore purposes.