• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Tarnost

No, it appears on one of Tolkien's maps ;) (HOME).
It's a dot, with a footnote saying "Tarnost", anything beyond that is speculation. Tarnost could be the name of a natural landmark for all we know.
Authors very frequently change their minds when writing, so i would say if Tolkien didnt include any background to "Tarnost" in any later works (which he didn't) then it wouldnt be any sort of significant city.

It's a dot, with a footnote saying "Tarnost", anything beyond that is speculation. Tarnost could be the name of a natural landmark for all we know.
Authors very frequently change their minds when writing, so i would say if Tolkien didnt include any background to "Tarnost" in any later works (which he didn't) then it wouldnt be any sort of significant city.
The assumption that it is a walled town lies inside the elvish name: Tarnost. "Ost" or "os" means fortified city, and reappears in names as Fornost, Ost-in-Edhil and Osgiliath.

With that name? And anyway we make it as a city.

then it wouldnt be any sort of significant city.
I don't see any logic there. If the author doesn't include it in later versions of his lore there can have many reasons behind this choice, and yes, not significant city is one among them, but not the only one. Plus I never said it's a great city, just that I see it as big as Linhir, which I do not see as a big city either (and isn't on the server). And it's juste my personnal vision, because given the lack of informations there are many possible interpretations. Oh, and at least it was once on a canonical map. So it would be a shame to build totally invented cities (and we will have to in a far future, otherwise large parts of Middle-earth will be ridiculously empty) and just a little village for Tarnost.

Finally, I never said "make it bigger" (even if I would like), I just said "do not shrink the walls". Or it will look like a random village.

The assumption that it is a walled town lies inside the elvish name: Tarnost. "Ost" or "os" means fortified city, and reappears in names as Fornost, Ost-in-Edhil and Osgiliath.
And in Belegost and Angrenost.

Last edited:
With that name? And anyway we make it as a city.

I don't see any logic there. If the author doesn't include it in later versions of his lore there can have many reasons behind this choice, and yes, not significant city is one among them, but not the only one. Plus I never said it's a great city, just that I see it as big as Linhir, which I do not see as a big city either (and isn't on the server). And it's juste my personnal vision, because given the lack of informations there are many possible interpretations.

Finally, I never said "make it bigger", I just said "do not shrink the walls". Or it will look like a random village.
Honestly all the cities down there like Linhir, Tarnost and stuff are random cities. The arent playing an important role in lore. Also since there has been no mentioning from Tarnost then its name i think making it as big as Linhir isnt a logic result. Also if it gets bigger it wouldnt be a good choice for open project anymore.

For me I like the Layout and style of the town so far. And i got now problemes with the walls. Its all interpretation, so i think we should keep those decisions up to the artists working at it.

Also since there has been no mentioning from Tarnost then its name i think making it as big as Linhir isnt a logic result.
Still more logic than make it look like a simple village, like the ones in Anórien. I edited my previous message for more informations.

And the walls are perfect :) .

@Bombur8 Anorien villages look so big cause they have farms in them and there is more space between houses. Tarnost may be smaller, but has much more buildings.

Just another note for the project leaders: if suggestions are made and there is a dissagreement on major styles or changes amongst the helpers., go ask the staff what to do.
Do try all the suggestions out first before deciding if the suggestions isn't much extra work.

For the guys giving suggestions: this is an open project. This means you can help out. Contact the guys to help out or show what you mean with the suggestion. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If it does work, then it will be used.

I just see a lot of guys giving suggestions whilst not doing any of the work. That's not really helping the project.

You could probs attach a farm or two to make it seem "bigger"
and a logging site
we definitely will

Just another note for the project leaders: if suggestions are made and there is a dissagreement on major styles or changes amongst the helpers., go ask the staff what to do.
Do try all the suggestions out first before deciding if the suggestions isn't much extra work.
That's exactly what I did with the walls case.

The decision was made about the walls and they will not be changed.

There will be small change to our plans outside of town - quarry will be removed, there would be too much industry for the size of the town. It will be replaced with entrance to the mines.

updated project post
KzBGj18.png