• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

~The MCME Times~ [01/11/15]

qZRemZY.png

__Opening Statement

I hope you all had a wonderful time during the winter holidays, with delicious food and merry company (depending on wether or not you like your family). I know I had which, combined with some school work, has resulted in some missed editions. I've been all over the place around the year change and, except for watching the hobbit with @Credoo which of course was horrible, it was great.
Now that I have finally found some time for myself I can write this weeks mcme times. I hope you enjoy.

__Project Progress

r2ijHOC.jpg

Annúminas (In Progress):
Progress on Annúminas is slow but steady. This week we saw the addition of some new canals making their way though the future residential area. The military district is almost done and a brand new amphitheater can be found in the city, performing your favourite plays.

Dol Amroth (In Progress):
Normal housing and poor housing has been finished and pasted into the actual city from plotworld freebuilds. Next up will be some of the larger buildings in the city, I'm looking forward to what will be created.

Lebennin: (In Progress): A giant stone desert in midst of Gondor can be currently seen on dynmap. Lebennin these lands are called and as long as there is no project thread we just can be curious what our Head of Terraforming aka @wodleth creates there. But for good reasons the expectations can be set high ;)

Linhir (Finished): If you blinked you might have missed it but Linhir has grown from a wee potato to a majestic potato plant. Metaforically of course; Linhir is not a vegetable. I think we should congratulate @oth0116, @KlemensPlusLukas, and @wodleth with a job well done. As well as possibly scoring the record for fastest project completed.

Lossarnach (In Progress):
Imloth Melui is finished, and a picture of it can be seen at the build of the week subsection. Terrain further south has been finished as well and is now dotted with farms and a small hamlet. All that's really left to do is some finishing touches.

Misty Mountains (In Progress):
The Misty Mountains had a short christmas break of about a week, but now sand is again stacking in sheer volumes. Currently being worked at is a big valley south of the Moria West Gate, including six side valleys, everyone with its own big glacier. Thanks to the latest glacier building troup aswell as to @Tyrhanystrasz who decided to bring a Sirannon side-valley from its bare WorldPainter shape to the current build standard. Expect more glacier jobs here soon.

Paths of the Dead (Finished):
Congratulations to @Despot666 and anyone else that helped on finishing the Paths of the Dead. Despot is of course strangely obsessed by underground dwellings and he has once again delivered, bringing us a beautiful maze of tunnels and caverns. Despite his good work, and despite the fact that we will miss him, I do hope he will one day find his way home and rejoin his tribe of mole people, indigenous to the eastern highlands of Poland.

Pelargir(new): @Credoo and @wodleth are putting a lot of effort into the planning of the great city of pelargir. I have seen some of their concepts and I'm very excited to see what the end result will look like. The overal layout reminds me a lot of the wookie's (@HomieNo) plan, as it's based on the same concept art. Hurray for nostalgia.

Miscellaneous:

@DSESGH has finished work on the deeping stream.No longer does the water from the glittering caves magically disappear a few steps outside helms deep.
@yourie98 has started a public project working on vegetation in Lothlorien. The forest floor is a bit empty but will now see some more life. If you want to create some of the plants that will populate it there's a freebuild for trees now.
@Ivan1pl has taken on the town of Tarnost, and so far is doing an excellent job. It's a small fortified village to the north-west of Linhir.
The shire tree project is back under way after @K1sk1BBab35 has found a replacement staff member to help him out. @oth0116 will be providing assistence to this project from now on.

Current plotworld jobs and contests:

__Media of the Week

@el_schnarcho has done a great job of creating a captivating screenshot of the recently finished Linhir.

Linhir

1PmSYeh.jpg

Additionally I want to feature a map created by @Finrod_Amandil. It shows the server on the 1st of January 2015, what's been finished, being worked on at the moment (orange), or still left to do (red).
image.png

__Status Updates

Promotions:

The wonderful @DynoDaring64 is now fullfilling the position of Head Enforcer. Beware children...
@Emil_Oil has joined the league of shadows and is now serving as a Designer. Good going emil!

Resignation:
Sadly mister @Iru has moved on from mcme (or at least running it) to spend more time on real life endeavours.

__Build of the Week

Though not really a building I think Imloth Melui is looking awfully nice. Certainly one of my favourite places on the server:

gcZR3Lp.jpg

__Edhellen mi Ennorath - Elvish in Middle-Earth By Finrod_Amandil

Part 1 - West, North, East and South

Mae govannen! Welcome!
Did you know, that often "The Lord of the Rings" or any other novel of Tolkien is not seen as his main work? In fact is his most impressive creation all the languages he invented, among them particularly the elvish languages. The world he created, Arda with Middle-Earth in it, was mainly created to give his languages space and a culture to develop themselves, to get an idea how the languages could change over time.
For that reason, elvish plays a very important role throughout Middle-Earth and thus also in our project, recreating it. It may be a good thing, that everyone has some basic knowledges about these, and here is where you will get it, nicely divided into small and easy bits, accompanied by examples you most likely know already very well, but never understood its meaning.

And with that enough with the boring part of it!
Important: Please let me know through the comments whether you like this format or not!

8x3k1k.jpg
In this first edition we will have a look on the geographical directions, West, North, East and South. For now I won't do a fundamental introduction to the basics of elvish, just note the most important thing: There are more than one elvish languages, actually there are even dozens of em. The two that have the most complete grammar and vocabulary are Quenya ("High-elvish") and Sindarin ("Grey-elvish"). As Quenya does only play a minor role in Middle-Earth we will focus on Sindarin.

The four cardinal directions in Sindarin are:
West: dûn
North: forod
East: rhûn
South: harad

There is also another important word, meaning as much as "sunset", and thus being the same as "west": annûn

With only those five words, we already can see many connections between place names of Middle-Earth:

North:
Fornost (North-castle, a city in Northern Eriador)
Forodwaith (Nothern Lands, the area in the very North of Middle-Earth)
Forochel (North-freeze, the western part of Forodwaith, with the Bay of Forochel)
Forlond (Northern harbor, a harbor in Lindon, at the gulf of Lune)
Forannest (North gate, gate in the Rammas Echor)

As you see, often only a shortened form For- is used.

For West and East there aren't that many examples:

Annúminas (Tower of the West)
Henneth Annûn (Window of the West)
Dúnedain (Men of the West)

Rhûn (East (-lands) )

Now for some interactivity! Write a comment with an elvish place name containing "South"! Let's see if we can get all of them together. (One per person please!)

Next week a bit a more complicated topic will be tackled: Plurals in Sindarin. But this will reveal quite some probably unexpected relations between place names of Middle Earth. Until then, Novaer!, Farewell! And don't forget to leave your opinion on this new addition!

__Community Outreach

Psst, you can click those images above.

MCME Podcast: @rcpopcornman is running an unofficial podcast. If you listened in during the livestream, brilliant! If you missed it you can watch it back later, a vod should be uploaded by Tuesday. You can discuss it HERE.

Times Feedback:
Have a thought concerning the presentation of the MCME Times and how it can be improved? Because I am always looking for new ways to mix up and improve the Times experience through any means necessary and, if you have a comment or concern, it's likely that someone else had it as well and just didn't say anything about it. So be sure to message me your thoughts on the forums.

__Closing Statement

All in all it's been a great year and lets hope 2015 will be even better. It is certainly promising to be different as we have seen some changes in our lineup of admins over the new year. I wish all of you a happy new year, and good health!

I found this quote about the new year:
What are your goals?
Mine are: tell a story through either writing or animation, and finish learning a new language.

Last edited:
Wow linhir certainly looks captivated in that picture!! (I didn't know cities could feel emotions)

@Finrod_Amandil I hate to give negative feedback without making some sort of counter-suggestion, but I still want to address the new section. The format reads rather blandly and makes me feel bored learning sindarin things. If you could figure out a way to put more excitement in your writing it would be better (and I would be more interested in it). also haradwaith, harondor, harlindon, etc.

The lovely and beautiful Imloth Melui screenshot seems to have a glitch. Double block flowers are only rendering as a single block.
The half block is made with voxel and it seems like a thistle so i used it, and the screen is not the latest screen since imloth melui has trees in the sides and cypress along the road

Wait wait, what do you mean you can't tag homie anymore? He doesn't have an account on the forums? Damn I hope he still checks mcme now and again. Not often just once or twice...

Every kind of feedback is appreciated @ardelenia, Ill do my best with a second edition.
@BeatHeav3N Probably you meant "Barad-dûr" instead of Harad Dur; and barad means tower or fortress ;-) I think ardelenia got most examples from middle-earth.