• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

~ The MCME Times~ [06/28/2020]

Summer Fun in the Sun
Go outside and play safely… or just stay inside and play on MCME I don’t care

OUaXcww3_6NW2vEy3AYOj6917IBqCgqqRxLDoJDHGGnW2p4B7nOdWOLCP_VmKYPQvMvsWSP-MnR_jXvG4CM0FJnm7Mz-47EPy6h3bnsms1hB8kzJY0qdehW5cmsnvkJegEaptJ_E

Editor's Note by Mapthor
Hey all, Map here! I just watched Inception for the first time and now my head hurts thinking about it. Go watch Inception by the way, it’s a great movie. Plus, it’s got Leonardo Dicaprio as the main character and everyone loves Leo… right? Remember when he won his first Oscar for Best Actor in The Revenant? That was a happy moment. Ah, the good old days. Anyways, I gotta act professional here. This is the MCME Times we’re talking about here, the newspaper of the server! These past two weeks have been a joyride for the community. We had a few promotions and resignations, lots and lots of tours, and planning for the Summer Events officially began. Also, we saw the sad passing of Sir Ian Holm who played Old Bilbo Baggins in both The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit films. Thank you for all the memories, godspeed. Until next time, keep building and exploring Middle-Earth!

Happy Sailing!
Mapthor

~ Project Progress ~

Anorien - Lead: @Oberanio | In Progress
Report by Mithrilled

The last 2 weeks in Anorien have been full of progress: Andrew’s Castle got finished at last and Oberanio and Mithrilled are currently starting to redo the fields around Dol Caranthan. These will hopefully be of higher quality to make for some spectacular Dynmap views. With the texture updates right around the corner, we are swiftly progressing towards seeing the plains of Anorien finished.

l8JL0FoMkfP1tSEFbLlpqYwzpfNEDMj-HoPl455LfIOdAJAEHiTwAbLyqAlEmWFB0nclziBR4AE71fjaBE9IEYkygD9zU0fQ9lRK6mZBPtivh_4Ir21j89LkfiKNAmNA1TKsSZhc

Lond Daer – Lead: @Ivan1pl | In Progress
Report by Monster_Duck

The layout for Lond Daer is currently being reworked. It will most likely be selected for building as it fits the Byzantine style. Progress on the Eriador resource pack also brings Lond Daer closer to building time.

rFgQa7CG6HHRR5OkaeWU_GNihJKucaMSOpMqMdzAjH-aN0MYGJUA7D3EN7yzQ93Ouvxo9l1FbdpIGHq0fO3j_I9YAEBU0EgNp8ZrXh2GkMO5gA3o_alcNWMJDCVnQV-waPUy4jBs

Moria – Lead: @DoctorDaom | In progress
Report by Mershy_

Updates over here in Moria. Not too much has progressed these past two weeks but that doesn't mean nothing is happening! A guardpost that connects from the centre of durins crossroads is being worked on currently. Xmine is busy working there also Norir trying a version as well. Also not too far from there if you jump down the stairs is the mine cave that I have been leading for a couple weeks now. I have at this point finished up the voxelling in the cave. The next step is to continue the planning so jobs will hopefully pop up soon. Finally I have been poking Nic to hopefully get the Moria pack reformatted to then be able to get some of the newer textures in there.

eqWzAHAJjvwGrpTJdGJowEjsvQOC0QmydgVyUvmFtTjVO7Z9h9mEiLPshHiRGaQoa_syGVWoxscNo9Ev-WyNZcAr9g_6kyTxtQ333hODP1Pw3BavVo17X6MO1QI1Gg9C4SuTDORC

Osgiliath – Lead: @ooitsbirdo | In progress
Report by FoolhardyFish

This Times update is a brilliant one. With huge thanks to the Commoners and Artists who completed the vegetation plots for the Section 1 plotbuild and the alleyway/road vegetation having been done by me, I can proudly announce that all the vegetation within Section 1 of Osgiliath is finished! The camp is the next main focus, with that being updated to fit better with our current style and trees will soon be pasted in by our fantastic Artists.

gBFyXDc2bYoUm25uytLBpnzjX6CBF4nH8j1mJ7Z4GIo12urchFwds04dC2184QyhQXtTNIKK32oh-GwQFmWcAfl25NxvA2EphYTFOsdVdI_igVvpCYBpg3ykLX4-zd-APOL5QqEg

~ Texture Development ~
Report by awaywind
Eriol is currently doing the final text of the Eriador pack conversion to URPS at the DevServer. If all goes well, it should be copied to the main server in the next couple of days.Toti is preparing a new Gondor 3.0 snapshot that also has the potential to be released soon (a few days).

~ Plug-in Development ~
Report by awaywind
Eriol is currently working on a global tab with a complete list of player names. He’s also testing chat plugins for the server. In discord, he’s made a new role claiming bot to replace the JobberBot. He also just successfully installed ViaVersion to support Minecraft version 1.16.

~ General Announcements ~
It’s that time again for GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS!!! That’s right, get excited people because I’m gonna recap the last two weeks for you as well as giving you something to look forward to - it’s your host awaywind. The Who Saw the Ring Last Event is still going on but if you haven’t found it yet - hurry up because you’ve got 3 days. Sadly, on June 19, 2020 Sir Ian Holms went into the west. We wish him safe passage into the West and mourn the loss of a great actor. Minecraft was also updated to 1.16 this past week which means the Nether will no longer be that wasteland down under. The guides are also starting their tour Thursdays!!! Every Thursday at 18:00 UTC there will definitely be a tour. In other news, Henneth Annun is getting a face lift and here’s some of the progress:

FO1BUqcd3ROmMUfJW7U7OdD4240GK3JzYhg1bWeYGQ9UMuN2RU-lU0iuTYO9r-KTY5uqRZzccX-Z96RR6lGp1keFt2uYePz9Kx5zmvk1SInuXge2EDQK0CqltOauOG4T26kQN-eb

Top-shot screenshot Contest!
Presented by Mr. Palladian

Dear screenshotters!

I appreciate the effort everybody put into making the screenshots from the Top-shot screenshot contest!

It it TIME to reveal the WINNERS!
Together with RubenPieterMark and Toti we made a top 5.
Congratulations to everybody who made the list!

Become a Donor
Keeping MCME running is not free, every month we have to pay $235 to keep up all our work. Donations help us keep doing what we love and providing you with amazing builds to look at. Donations are not required but greatly accepted, if you want to help us in our feat of rebuilding Middle Earth in Minecraft you can donate here.

Viewing Donation Drive: Community Costs

Our Donors
  • D3rr3x
  • Mr_Kekss
  • LlamaJaden1
  • sierraleone
  • TwobuckTwo
#MCMEdoesnotrunitself

~ Rank Updates ~
Report by Monster_Duck

JarNO_WAY: The community has lost a great guide in the form of JarNO_WAY. The fun times he has had won’t be forgotten and hopefully he can make more memories here in the future.
Resignation

DingusWingus366: MCME was sad to see another guide say farewell for now, but we hope to see him again in the future!
Resignation

QuantaCube: The wonderful builder QuantaCube has returned to the purple legion for a second tour of duty. We can’t wait to see new buildings appear on the server as a result of his hard work.
Promotion

D3rr3x: You know what’s better than one new guide? TWO NEW GUIDES!! D3 will definitely make a fine addition to our amazing community of guides.
Promotion

ItsMeJade: The guides are lucky enough to have a new Dutchman joining their ranks. Jade will surely positively impact our community during her time as a guide.
Promotion

~ Interviews ~

Interview with @Mithrilled

Question 1. What inspired you to take up a building role on MCME?
I have been building for fun in Minecraft for multiple years now, but I always wanted to join some kind of build team. Combining my passion for Tolkien and Minecraft, I found this server and wanted to help out as much as possible. I decided to apply for artist and I've never looked back since :)

Question 2. Where do you spend most of your time on the server?
Most likely Anorien: I spend most of my time building here and it's a great place to look around and explore. The 2nd place probably goes to Belfalas.

Question 3. What is your proudest building accomplishment on the server?
I am currently working on Henneth Annun with Eriol, which is definitely going to be the most lore-significant place I've built. After that it's probably some of my builds in Anorien, as I think these are my highest quality (and finished) constructions so far.

Question 4. How has your view of the server changed from when you first joined up until now?
Not a lot, I still love this server very much today, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I am still amazed by the builds and the people on this server again and again.

Question 5. Who on the server has impacted you the most and why?
This is a hard one, as I can easily list a dozen people. But at the top are probably Raffy and Ober. Raffy is always friendly and keen to help out wherever possible. I have worked with Ober a lot over the last year, and we have always cooperated very well. But again, there are a ton of other people I could write about.

Interviewer: MatthewVP

~ Winners of “The Week” ~

This week we have another round of amazing builds and Media posts. We only choose from the best every time, so hard work does pay off. Sometimes it can get competitive and that is what will win a place here. Please give a warm welcome to this Times, winners of this week.

MEDIA Winners:
2020-06-19-184117_1920x1080_scrot.png

Congratulations to Lindolas for winning this fortnight’s selection. First time, if I recall correctly. Absolutely stunning screenshot, plus it instantly reminds you of the Return of the King.

THEME-BUILD Winners
There were some truly remarkable builds this time around and it was my difficult honor to choose the winners of the last two theme builds! Without further ado here they are! The winner of the fortnight for the Minas Aear theme goes to TheSweViking!!! And the winner for the Dragon theme goes to (ba ba ba bumm) Frosty_Dusktree!!! Take a look at the pics of these two themes and other honorable mentions below!

~ Lore of the Fortnight ~

Avallónë, origins of the name debatable, is one of the harbor cities on the island of Eressëa.

Tol Eressëa was the outer land of the Undying Lands, closest to Middle-earth. Historically Tol Eressëa was an immigrant's place, like New York City was for immigrants from Europe. The island has an interesting backstory: it was originally a ferry, which water Vala Ulmo had used, to move the first Elves willing to go to the Undying Lands. He just dragged it from somewhere in the ocean, to the coast of Middle-earth and back to the proximity of Valinor.

On the western coast, so facing Valinor, the city of Avallónë was built. The original reason for this location was the light of the Two Trees. In the Pelóri mountains, the mountain range shielding the Undying Lands, a gap was made specifically so that the light of the Two Trees could reach Tol Eressëa, that it could reach Avallónë. Accordingly, the gap was named Calacirya: the Pass of Light. All kinds of plants and flowers bloomed around Avallónë in the Age of the Two Trees. This is noteworthy, because it was the first location outside Aman where flowers flourished. As you can see, the Valar took special interest to the area around Avallónë.

After the War of Wrath, where Morgoth was defeated, the Elves who accepted the Valar's invitation to return/move for the first time to the Undying Lands moved to Tol Eressëa. We might assume that the Elves who moved afterwards also migrated to Tol Eressëa, to Avallónë.

The relations between Avallónë and Númenor are quite interesting. In Númenor's early days, before pride and Sauron corrupted them, they were great friends. The Númenoreans received many gifts from the Elves of Avallónë, such as gold, gems and, most importantly, trees. These trees grew not as well on Númenor as on Tol Eressëa, but they grew well nonetheless. They were planted all over Númenor, especially in the area facing Avallónë. This is significant, because Númenor's sixth king Aldarion gifted nuts of the malinornë, or mallorn in Sindarin, to Gil-Galad of Lindon, who in turn gave them to Galadriel. The Elves of Avallónë are responsible for the autumnal gold in Lothlórien!
It gets even better: the White Tree of Gondor, their very emblem, also traces its roots from Avallónë! The White Trees of Gondor (three grew old and were replaced by saplings of theirs) came from Nimloth, a sacred tree in Númenor, of which Isildur rescued a sapling before his family fled to Middle-earth. Nimloth in its turn was a gift from the Elves of Tol Eressëa, it was a seedling from the tree Celeborn which grew on their island! Celeborn was a seedling from Galathilion, which in turn was a (failed) replica of the destroyed Telperion, the eldest of the Two Trees of Valinor. Avallónë plays a big role in the sacred botanics of Middle-earth.

The Tower of Avallónë is the only building that we know about. It was an extremely large tower, which could be seen from the western shores of Númenor by sharp eyes. Remember, Avallónë was built on the western shore of the island of Eressëa, while Númenor lay to the east: the tower reached all of the hilltops of the island.
The tower housed the Master-stone, the most powerful of the palantíri. The seven palantíri in Middle-earth were not the only ones, there were more left in the Undying Lands. Only the palantír of the White Towers seemed to be connected to the Master-stone in Avallónë. This is why Elendil tended to look into that palantír, because a glimpse of Avallónë, near the Undying Lands, gave him comfort and strength. Elves also went on pilgrimages to the White Towers to look in the Palantír, this was why Gildor was on the road near the Shire when he met Frodo, Sam and Pippin. To make contact with the Palantír in Avallónë.

If you are familiar with the stories of king Arthur (which Tolkien was), the name Avallónë might sound familiar. The name reminded me of Avalon (literally translated: 'Apple Island'), the mythical island where King Arthur, mortally wounded, was taken by fairies 'to recover' (he has not yet returned). This sounds very similar to Frodo, and later Sam, being granted passage to the Undying Lands, which means to Avallónë, after an epic life, to rest, and hopefully to heal from their traumas and unquenchable desires for that which is Elven, that which is almost devine.
Tolkien himself stated in a letter that 'Frodo and Sam were given an Arthurian ending'. Coincidence? I think not. Tolkien sometimes played with these similarly sounding Elven names: the Elven name for the drowning of Númenor is Atalantë. Reminds you of any Greek myth?

As you have read, Avallónë plays a relating role between the Undying Lands and Middle-earth. For the Valar and the Valinoreans, it is the first location outside Valinor, and for the folks in Middle-earth, it is the first destination when traveling to the Undying Lands. Back in the Second Age, it was the connection to the Undying Lands for the Númenoreans. In the Third Age, it was the only connection between the High Elves in Middle-earth and the Elves in the Undying Lands. It was also the place where the Elves going west arrived.
Avallónë is the key location that connects the two main lands of Arda.

~ Question of the Week ~

This Week's Question:
Which Maiar was chosen to carry the sun?

Question: {Question}
What are the hobbitish names of all 4 of the hobbits in the fellowship?

Correct Answer: {Answer}

• Frodo Baggins = Maura Labingi.
  • Samwise "Sam" Gamgee = Banazîr "Ban" Galbasi.
  • Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck = Kalimac "Kali" Brandagamba.
  • Peregrin "Pippin" Took = Razanur "Razar" Tûk.

Mr_Kekss

Presented by: Monster_Duck

~ More Media ~

You know us, we love sharing our progress and Twitter is the perfect place. Give us a good follow and always have something to look forward to on your daily scroll. Just to spice it up, comment your favorite parts of our builds at

MinecraftMiddleEarth (@MCMiddleEarth) | Twitter . You won't be disappointed!

Sometimes you just want to enjoy some quality pictures, we got you covered. Head on over to our Facebook account, try following us there too Minecraft Middle-Earth

It doesn't matter if you just woke up or after a busy day at work; scrolling through Instagram and seeing a cool project you have worked on, or just amazing graphics from your favorite server on your favorite game. MCME's Instagram is the right place to be. Check it out at mcmiddleearch on Instagram, or this perfectly good link to take you straight there.

But of course, the most important and obviously most used social network is of course Planet Minecraft! Be sure to give us a diamond there. It costs nothing! Minecraft Middle Earth Minecraft Server

~ Advertisements ~
Artist
Ahh yes. We all know the question. “How can I build?", As well as the responses “You can try a theme build” and “You can take part in jobs." The other answer is “Apply for Artist”, and the last option is by far the most exciting. Being able to build in your favorite places all the time. Sounds awesome. We can never have enough Artists, and with a wide range of current projects, there’s plenty for you to do!
Are you inspired to join MCME’s main build rank? You can apply for Artist/ today on the forums! The Managers, Designers and current Artists will work with you and help you on your journey.

Guide
Or perhaps, you’re not a builder. Well. That’s not a problem! Becoming A guide is obviously the better option anyway. As a Guide, you’re the forefront of MCME, and there’s no greater feeling than when someone says your tour was awesome. You don’t actually have to be a lore nerd either, you’ll pick up on lots really quickly.
When you join the Guides, you’ll be giving tours, running mini-games and testing players in lore quizzes, or if you prefer less “on the spot” stuff, Guidebooks are obviously your zen, or helping to tell MCME about MCME by writing up articles in the times. You’ll also help plan events such as The Summer Events and The Anniversary Events. We hope you join us soon, because us Guides really would love some more of us. What’re you waiting for?
Just click Guide and apply today!

~ Closing Statement ~

You know that feeling? That feeling when you’re laying on your bed, staring up at your fan, with both earbuds in, music as loud as you can stand. And there’s nothing else but music. It washes over you like a wave - depriving you of all sensation. And then that one phrase comes up. A bar. A melody or a harmony. And it gives you chills and puts tears in your eyes. It’s called frisson. It’s the thrill you get, the shot of dopamine in your brain. It’s one of the best feelings in the world. But you can experience frisson in life too. It’s even more rare but those moments are there. It’s those moments when you’re driving in the country and the air is the perfect temperature, you’re singing along to that stupid rock song that’s blasting through your speakers, and you are completely lost. It’s those moments where you’re at a party and you’ve taken a step back to the perimeter of the action or you’ve left for a second to go get another drink only to catch a glimpse of everyone in their element. At that moment, you’re an outsider looking in and you’re completely happy in your life. Those types of moments are the ones we should seek out. You don’t always have to seize the day but you should always seize those moments. I wanna thank you guys for making those moments for me. I love Middle Earth and I love what we’ve built, but most importantly I love the community. I had a moment the other night where I was giving a tour to a group of players from the Philippines. It wasn’t a traditional tour but the community I felt made me take a step back. It was a disaster and I barely talked but we were having so much fun and they even started calling me “Space Mom”. So thank y’all for these moments and keep on keeping on. Roger that ground control, awaywind out!

Great job for the Times Team, who did what they had to do, great job!

Quote from JRRT
“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,' he used to say. 'You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

4wNNln87NRd6ZC7db5VyTWycit18qzXAtYw7VWA2932EiZpH8pneGWYfZj1YRzeYGhTLaQ2vvRDX7XajA-XD2VjV3APb6Ft173bmQ_FHNGNvsXV19BengM1_ezNsvKohzzFtcWq-

The Official MCME Times
mcmiddleearth.com​

Last edited:
It is dangerous business Frodo going out of your door. You step into the road and if you don't keep your feet, you may end up getting Covid-19. Do you realize that this is the very path that goes through Eurasia and if you let it, it might take you to the Wuhan wet market or even further and to worse places ?

Feel free to make a meme of this (just mention that the idea comes from me :))
Great edition of the MCME Times as always.