• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

The MCME Times~ #13/15 - Short Stories!

qZRemZY.png
Opening Statement

It's all about the Short Story Contest this week, and same in the coming ones. I have written one myself, and that's the reason it does mean so much to me, and I cant wait for the day as I finally can put mine on display!
There's much to read in this week's Times, so I don't write much more here, I wish y'all a nice week, for that summer finally comes to the northern hemisphere and the cold and rain stop!

Project Progress

Anfalas (/warp Anfalas Temp), picture by @DSESGH
Y8cQqC1.jpg

Andrast (In Progress) - Lead: @Tyranystrasz
@Mandos' first voxel work on the server he's contributing to Andrast, and he's producing terrain in an amazing speed! Already a remarkable amount of square kilometres could be worked on in this area!

Anfalas (In Progress) - Lead: @DSESGH
Actual voxeling has begun with the creation of a small concept for Pinnath Gelin. You can view it by doing /warp Anfalas Temp. More voxeling in the sandy area will begin soon, and with Lebennin almost finished, @oth0116 should be joining as well. Sorry, there will probably not be any adventurer/artist jobs until voxeling is done:(
- DSESGH

Annúminas (On Hold) - Lead: @Fireinferno13
Fire has put up a new project post and informed, that the project will be picked up again as soon as Calembel and Dol Amroth are finished.

Calembel (In Progress) - Lead: @Ivan1pl

The house freebuild is almost finished! Most houses are built and all the remaining plots are claimed. Industrial and Administration districts are finished.
Artist job: you can build gardens in the town. Search for high blue wool markers in the air.
- Ivan1pl

Dol Amroth (In Progress) - Lead: @Demonataz
Only the best and freshest goods you get at the new market place of Dol Amroth, even the handcrafted chairs are made out of freshly cut wood. You definitely should do your next shopping tour in this city, and also can admire all the new details that appeared between the houses, from the occasional well over the many colorful carts to the admirable flowerage and trees.

Lebennin (In Progress) - Lead: @otho
Some more work on the farms this week, and some roads have already been built. More roads are marked but still have to get turned into existance, and one small area needs some vegetation.

Misty Mountains (On Hold) - Lead: @Finrod_Amandil
As I had an incredibly busy school week and Moria has definitely the priority, this project will be on hold until I or someone else finds some time to kick off the next part (which is already to a great extent planned).

Moria (In Progress) - Lead: @Despot666 & @Finrod_Amandil

Despot was working simultanously on the Resource Pack and on concepts in Moria this week. A first hall he already finished and is trying the new pack on a second one now.
This week you can finally try out the resource pack yourself! Go to >>this thread<< to find download link and some really important notes on that technical wonder.
Please do submit all ideas or questions you may have on Moria in the respective Project thread, we will consider every idea and answer (merely) every question!

Pelargir (
In Progress) - Lead: @Credoo
Even though the Dome Contest is only running for one week yet, the results already look like they do with every contest: Nothing less than magnificient.
In the city itself the ships from the boat freebuild have been added to the harbor, they are truly amazing, well done who built some of these ships!
The house and boat Freebuilds are still open!

Shire Trees (In Progress) - Lead: @kisos

One more week equals one more nice forest in the Shire! This week's addition can be found just south of the village Longcleeve at the source of the Water (the river that flows through the entire Shire).

Public Projects:

Agar and Udul (Finished) - Lead: @Mandos
I assume not many people knew what Agar and Udul is before, but Mandos successfully turned this small bit of lore into something unique and awesome. Compared to the usually pretty geometrical buildings in most other cities, these primitive dwellings with their randomness have a very special charm, very well done Mandos!

Bandit / Traveler Camps (In Progress) - Lead: @PINT00
The camps are moving again! Now 2 out of the 5 camps are built. Thanks go to @DSESGH for doing his job as project staff taking some time to start copying tents from plots to the actual locations.
- Ardelenia

EDIT: All 5 camps have their tents pasted in.
- DSESGH

Ethring (In Progress) - Lead: @AWOL777
Work on the roads between the houses has been started and some first greenery has been added too! However some of the houses still need some work on the interior.

Lothlórien Vegetation (In Progress) - Lead: @yourie98
"Nindalf2.0" is back on track and progress is going faster then ever before. Huge amounts of trees have been pasted in this week and the muddy and dirty riverbanks got a facelift, yay! This is good news as the progress was at a very low level the last two weeks, the whole project is a little more extensive than expected in the beginning. So now the project staff is called upon to focus on this even more. Expect more jobs in the "Land of the Valley of Singing Gold" in the upcoming weeks. Give it all the love you got! Let's push on with this forest.
- Emilio_

ilSQhJQ.jpg

Current Plotworld Jobs and Projects:
>========================================================================<​

Status Updates
Promotions

Just as the "In progress" tag of Mandos' public project turned green, so did his name, the way this project turned out is clearly showing that he has got the skills needed to keep leading projects in the future. Congratulations and may your Voxel arrow never get blunt!

This Week's Highlights
Media of the Week
You all know by now that @Glovr's screenshots are totally awesome, but what he created last week makes me just speechless:

Osgiliath (/warp Osgiliath)
XtK6jfh.png

Second, I finally got myself shaders for 1.8, and I tried to get as much of a city onto one screen as possible.
Here's one of Dol Amroth, some more of Pelargir, Isengard and the Brandywine valley can be found >>here<<.

Dol Amroth (/warp Dol Amroth)
full

This week's ThemedBuild
Gardens of Lórien (Valinor)
>>TB Post<<
DreamGiveStephanie_Pui_Mu.jpg

Short Story Contest

Two weeks ago the Short Story Contest has ended, and finally we know the result! It must have been a hard judging that took so long!

Without further ado, here's the ranking:

1st: @BevsForBros
2nd: @Finrod_Amandil
3rd: @Soap887
4th: @The_AWOL

@Tyranystrasz did lead this contest, and the judges were beside him @Emilio_, @_Luk and @DSESGH.

When I submitted my story I already feared that noone may catch up with mine as I did put so many hours into it, and at some point even started writing on during uni lectures as I was no longer able to hold back the urge to bring my ideas onto (virtual) paper, but that fear is completely unreasoned, and I'm glad that I can present you in the upcoming weeks four fantastic stories! Yes, you read that correctly; as only four stories were submitted and it would be a pity to sweep any of them under the carpet, all of them will be published first exclusively in the Times!

Congratulations to Bevs on winning this event! Your story will be added to the Resources section of the Forums as soon as it has been in the Times, where it shall be honored for a long time. Additionally you'll receive the Steam/Riot gift card, Tyranystrasz will contact you soon about that.

This week's Times now proudly presents the first part of the story written by @The_AWOL! The second half then will follow next week, again followed by Soap's and then my own story. Bevs' work will bring this to an epic end, the first part of it can be expected to be in the Times of May 31st. I hope, the formatting I chose is comfortable to read to everyone ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short Story by The_AWOL

The story takes place near the time of the first gathering of the company of Thorin Oakenshield, in
the halls of Bagend. Perhaps slightly before that as well. It is a story of an adventure of a wood elf,
to the West of Rhovanion.

Aeolan was enjoying the open breeze amidst his company, as he strayed back and forth on his black
stallion. He was with his two brothers of the woodland realm, Aundal and Fundil. They had been in
search of orcs, who had been spotted roaming just outside of the greenwood. "I say that this rumor
of orcs is the hallucination of frightened men, who have not the ability to defend themselves,” stated
Aundal.

“Nonetheless,” added Fundil, without turning his gaze, “we ought not return to Thranduil without
having inspected all the lands near the kingdom. If there truly are orcs about, it would be most
queer.” And so for a while they rode on in pursuit.

“We will continue south until the sun is set, then we will turn west, is that agreeable?” proposed
Aundal.

Aeolan raised his arm at the elbow to silence his brothers and halted his mare. “I heard stirring near.
It sounded reckless, even if it were to be a bear.”

“Yes, I heard it as well, this way.” They were led to a cave that appeared to lead down and back for
some dozen meters. “Most certainly a bear. Still yet, we run short on meat, let us advance,” notioned
Aundal, in a hushed voice, as he leapt gracefully off his horse.

“I am not so sure that this is a bear,” added Fundil as he stepped down as well. “We will proceed
with caution.” Still, thought, Aundal took to lead the party inside. Not more than a few steps in and
they could easily sense an evil presence. They were in a most perilous position, for the outside of the
cave illuminated the elvish silhouettes, but they could not see within the cave itself. They would be
picked off by orcish arrows before they could hope to defend themselves.

Though it was not the arrow or blade of orcs that attacked. “No,” said Aeolan, and but an instant
afterwards, a large club the size of a bull hit Aundal in his breastplate, and thus he was smashed
against the wall of the cavern and there he died. “Run! Fundil Run!” yelled Aeolan.

“I am , brother! I propose you do the s--,” Aeolan was not able to turn around and see what had
halted his brother’s speech. He mounted his horse, and then turned back toward the cave. But at that
same instant an arrow hit him in the helm and bounced off. It landed in the ground a distance away,
but still Aeolan new it was of orcish make. Then another hit him in the leg, and at that his mare
neighed in fright and ran. He rode for only a few kilometers, before he decided he had lost too much
blood in his leg, and he must stop.

He ripped out the shaft, and then tore his undergarment and wrapped it around the piercing. He
winced in pain, but it was not the pain which haunted him. The thought of the loss of his brothers…
and trolls. Trolls? This far south, even one troll meant grave tidings.

Day had then passed, and the moon was showing above the horizon. Aeolan had to avenge his
brothers. He wondered if Fundil could still be living. If the stories that he had heard of orcs were
true, then they were far too savage to take captives. Then vengeance consumed Aeolan, and he was
set upon killing the beasts who took the lives of his brothers. He remounted and rode.

He went west for a while, and his supplies were running slim. In fact, he was entirely out of
provisions in means of food, though an elf could endure famishment far more capably than any
man. As he continued following the clear path left by the orcs, the moon was sitting in the middle of
the sky. He predicted he was gaining on the orc pack, but he still could not see them still, so they
could not be too close. When day was nearing, he came upon a small cottage.

The small house had a grass roof and small stone wall surrounding it. It looked too homely to house
anything of evil intentions, Aeolan concluded. He parked his stallion outside, and proceeded
silently. He stood straight up and knocked on the front door. He then heard an abnormal amount of
stirring. “Who would rouse me?”

“A silvan elf of the woodland realm, seeking an evening’s refuge.” At that, the person on the other
side pulled the door open. Aeolan saw that this was no man, or elf. His arms and face were almost
covered with long, thick hairs. His eyebrows were nearly as tall as his forehead, and he had a long
brown beard (thought no mustache) that parted at his chin. He stepped outside of his cottage,
which require him to duck, and for Aeolan to take two steps back.

“And why should I allow you admittance into my home?”

“Why should you not? I, nor my people, have done you no injustice which I can recall. And I have
no ill intent.”

At that the creature make a growling snort. “What is it that you require?”

“Just rest. And some pork, perhaps.”

“Come inside,” he said. So Aeolan followed him and sat down at a large table as he was bid. “What
brings a wood-elf so far from his own realm?”

“We heard tidings or orcs roaming these lands, and were sent to investigate.” He was given a cup
and it was filled with milk. His chair and the table were elegantly carved, as were the designs on the
walls and foundation of the house. Aeolan sat back, though still feeling uneasy.

“Would you like some carrots, or bread? I do not eat meat, thus offer none.”

“Yes, thank you most graciously. Do you have any wine, perhaps?”

“No.” The figure retrieved the food and came back. He took a seat at the head of the table. “I have
not had sight of an orc in many centuries. So, tell me truly why you are in these parts.”

“That is the truth, you have my word,” replied Aeolan.

“You said ‘we were sent’ and yet I see only you, so where is your company?”

“I came with my two brothers, they…. were killed by a troll while we were in pursuit of orcs.”

“So there are trolls in my lands now as well? Then truly I must begin to hunt at night.”

Aeolan pulled up the leg of his trousers to show his wound. “They gave me this,” he stated. As he
pulled off his torn garment, which he was using to halt the bleeding, he saw that area in which he
was pierced and the surrounding veins were as black as the sky on a cloudy night. The large
individual’s eyes widened. “Orcish poison. Come, before you begin choking on it. I know some
ancient healing.”

Aeolan looked up in slight despair. “We need athelas.”

“I own no such herb, come.” Aeolan did the bidding of his host. There was no use of any herb or
medicine that he was familiar with. Only a strange red liquid that burned at the touch of flesh, but
the elf held the pain in his mouth. When the process was over, the large figure stood up. “If what
you say is true, then you should leave now. If these orcs have a troll amongst them, then they will be
camping during the day. Trolls cannot travel under the sun. Go, now.”

“Would you help me?”

“I hate orcs, it is true,” said the figure. “But no, I will stay here and tend to my crops and animals.
Leave now, go.” Aeolan obeyed him. He rose and limped towards his horse at a quick pace. He
swung himself up atop the animal, and commanded it go forward.

He regained the track of the orcs easily enough, for the print of a single troll was rather obviously
observed. He followed it for some time. It went into a small forest, and Aeolan figured that the orcs
would have taken refuge in there somewhere. Sure enough, he caught sight of orc only after a few
minutes’ journey.

>========================================================================<
Community Outreach

MCME Easter Egg Hunt: @DSESGH, with some support by me and @Arkengard organised a fun game for this year's easter: Throughout the map are 10 easter eggs hidden, how you can find them you'll find out by reading >>this<<. Today is the last day this event is available! So be quick if you have not tuned into it yet!

Scheduled Tours: Our guides are running scheduled tours every week on Saturdays at 9pm GMT. So if you look out for a tour and never managed to catch a guide to give you one, this is the date you gotta go on the server.

LotR Audiobook:
We listen to the Lord of the Rings, read by Phil Dragash, while visiting the places the story plays on our server, and sometimes even reenact the events. The next session has yet to be announced. The fun is hosted and sponsored by @Credoo.

Times Feedback:
Have a thought concerning the presentation of the MCME Times and how it can be improved? Because we are always looking for new ways to mix up and improve the Times experience through any means necessary and, if you have a comment or concern, it's likely that someone else had it as well and just didn't say anything about it. So be sure to message @Finrod_Amandil your thoughts through a PM or directly in this thread.

~ ~~
24q79y0.png
~~ ~

Like our Planetminecraft page daily! It's a great way to make ourselves known among other Minecrafters! Click the picture below!

Closing Statement
I sometimes struggled to find words to describe what Tolkiens writings mean to me, well I think I just found them. And if ever anyone writes a story, or has written one (*wink wink*), you may think of that:

“You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows that they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift.”
- Erin Morgenstern

Last edited:
I could post the screenshot on reddit but idk if this time for prevent me to get tons of upvotes, since reddit hates me so much i think they will remove the screenshot