• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

~The MCME Times~ #2/15

qZRemZY.png
Opening Statement

Good thing there's the MCME Times! Else most of you (and neither me) would not be capable of keeping track of all the progress thats happening in this oh-so-busy 2015. It's purely amazing what... wait a second, who is writing this thing at all?! Yes, it's not our chief editor @MaDIIReD this time! But have no fear, MaD is neither forever lost in the Paths of the Dead, nor got he swallowed by the Old Man Willow. He's just dealing with a certain individual by the name of "Real_Life" who infringed the server rule #1: "Hindering anyone from being on MCME 24/7". The weekly ThemedBuild will still be managed by him, aswell as all the other Enforcer duties.
"Hindering anyone from being on MCME 24/7" is not really a server rule. The actual server rules can be found here: http://www.mcmiddleearth.com/help/terms
Merely everything will stay the same for the Times, the only thing I want to change is using edition numbers (format #edition/year), just because as a european I can't and don't want to accommodate to the American date "logic"

And now everything left to say is Nai sámallë mára Anarya! - Have a nice Sunday!

Project Progress
Pelargir
514tw3.png

Annúminas (In Progress) - Lead: @Wollip666
If you happen to fly over Annúminas these days, be sure to take care where you land, cause else you may easily get impaled by one of the countless spikes on all the new buildings in the former capital of Arnor. Beside that every now and then other buildings sneak their way into the city walls. Wollip666 is as secretively about the progress as a dwarf :D.

Calembel (New) - Lead: @Ivan1pl
Voxelling everywhere! A new sand patch has appeared in the gondorian province of Lamedon, and most likely very soon the first houses of said region's capital will pop out there. With that the last gondorian city in the lore (not counting Minas Morgul) is going its way towards completion.

Dol Amroth (In Progress) - Lead: @demonataz
After so many new houses having stormed the city, it was granted a short rest before the next area will be tackled. Maybe you'll find demonataz, the leader of this very admiring creation, sitting in the open-aired beer garden of the Sleeping Fisherman Inn.

Edhellond (New) - Lead: @KlemensPlusLukas
Based on John Howes drawing Edhellond has been started recently, under the leadership of KlemensPlusLukas with help from @Emil_Oil and @Tyrhanystrasz. Since the project has started already alot of progress could be made, most of the houses have been built and the docks are on their way. Next step would be to finish details and start ruining afterwards (sadly).

Ethring (New) - Lead: @oth0116
It's the small things that make our map so special. Ethring is merely only a bridge over the river Ringló, along with a few buildings. Still it gets all the attention and love any other big project would get.

Lebennin: (In Progress) - Lead: @wodleth
The stone desert is still there, but not at all does that mean no progress is made! A large part of the valley of the river Gilrain with a nice big lake at its source is merely finished by now. However to visit it, you may need to warp to the Halifiren and then cross the White Mountains.

Lossarnach (In Progress) - Lead: @Tyrhanystrasz
Even if it may have seemed that it was merely finished last week, another part of that province of Gondor is being tackled: The valley of the river Erui. With that land strip being done the whole terrain between Minas Tirith and Pelargir has been prettified.

Misty Mountains (In Progress) - Lead: @Finrod_Amandil
A few more sections to the south have been done; two glaciers will also soon be run as jobs by @Will_em. To make the terrain ready for the Lothlórien vegetation project, the valley of the Nimrodel is being voxelled atm.

Pelargir (In Progress) - Lead: @Credoo
I've got the feeling, building houses is vital for life for some members. The progress we have on any city recently is just unbelievable. Being able to produce so high quality builds in such few time is something definitely unique to this server.
Not a single doubt this city won't look any less amazing than our Head Designer Credoo's last project (Minas Tirith)

Public Projects:

Agar and Udul (New) - Lead: @Nightfalcon14
From the deepest depths of Tolkiens lore rise two small towns near the Mouths of the Isen. An entire new building style with its adventurous ambience makes it one of my favourite projects atm. A deserved Build of the Week for Nightfalcon14 and his team!

Lothlórien Vegetation (In Progress) - Lead: @yourie98

The first changes on the actual map have happened! Keep your eyes open for the first jobs starting soon in the Golden Forest to build the rest of the undergrowth; bushes, mushrooms and flowers!

Shire Trees (In Progress) - Lead: @K1sk1BBab35

Back on track is this project by our "Head Treebuilder" K1sk1BBab35, some more villages have now trees matching the peaceful Shire ambience. Tree Freebuild for even more trees is open to everyone and Artists and Adventurers on the watchlist can contact K1sk for a town to claim.

Tarnost (Finished) - Lead: @Ivan1pl
And there it is, the first Public Project successfully crossing the finish line! Go and visit this town and you won't wonder any longer why Ivan1pl's name is now green.

Be sure to check whether there are still any public projects left to claim or join. New ones may get added at any time!

Current Plotworld Jobs and Projects:

Media of the Week

Our terrain veteran @wodleth can not only build awefully nice terrain, no he also got the possibilities and skills to bring it to picture nicely:

Hills near Tarnost
mqLsDNA.png

As second entry I want to highlight a new face that has recently joined the group of screenshot contributors: @dumperman! And here's one amazing shot of the top of Minas Tirith in a never before seen perspective. Check also his other screens he made >>here<<

Minas Tirith
N3UPGjj.png

Status Updates

Congratulate our new Designer @Ivan1pl! His fantastic Tarnost has launched him right to where he belongs to, to MCME Build Staff.

Once staff on MCME - forever staff on MCME. From the shadows of the past he came back to the light: Welcome back to our Enforcer @Kulmo.

A couple of people left the circle of Guides recently. Thanks for all the time you spent for the server and all good for whatever awaits you in the upcoming future.
- @CEFKILLA41320
- @kyzcool
- @rcpopcornman

Build of the Week

Agar (/warp Agar)

j0cg9g.png

Edhellen mi Ennorath - Elvish in Middle-Earth

Part 2 - Sindarin plurals

You all know which word does open the Moria West Gate - mellon - the elvish (Sindarin) word for "friend". But what about the elvish word for "friends"? mellons would be many people's guess, but in fact the truth seems really weird at first; "friends" in Sindarin is mellyn. In this edition of Edhellen mi Ennorath the reason for this shall be revealed, and many more names throughout Middle-Earth will seem far less obscure afterwards!

Most languages I know of, e.g. English, German or even Quenya, build their plurals by adding one or more letters at the end of the words:

English: king → kings
German: König → Könige
Quenya: aran → arani

However Sindarin follows an entirely different principle:

Sindarin: aran → erain
What happens here is an exchange of vowels; in other words: When putting a word into plural, the vowels of that word get replaced with others. Thus we have to see for every vowel available what happens with it. Note that the letter y is a vowel too in Sindarin (it sounds like german "ü" or french "u" as in "mur"), so we have a total of 6 vowels: a, e, i, o, u, y

a

In the final syllable a gets changed to ai, in all other syllables to e:
barad (tower) → beraid (towers)
aran (king) → erain (kings)
athrad (ford) → ethraid (fords)
e

In the final syllable gets changed to i, remains e in all other syllables:
edhel (elf) → edhil (elves)
i

The vowel i remains i in all positions:
Ithil (moon) → Ithil (moons)
o

o in the final syllable becomes y, in all other positions e. However if a word contains multiple o, its possible to change every o to e:
orch (orc) → yrch (orcs)
oron (tree) → eryn (trees) (also possible: eren)
orod (mountain) → ered (mountains) (also possible: eryd)
amon (hill) → emyn (hills) (the ae ofc stems from the respective rule above)
u

In any syllable, u gets changed to y:
tulus (poplar) → tylys (poplars)
y always remains y.
  • Long û in the final syllable becomes ui: dûrduir
  • The combination io becomes y: thalionthelyn
  • The combination ie becomes i in the last syllable: miniel → minil
  • The diphtonge au becomes oe, note that -aw at the end of a word is the same as au: draug → droeg, rhaw → rhoe
  • All other dipthonges remain unchanged: aew → aew, luin → luin
Some of the examples chosen may sound already familiar to you, which is not astonishing, as many appear in place names all along Middle-Earth:

Amon (hill)
as in Amon Hen, Amon Lhaw, Amon Sûl, Amon Anwar, Amon Dîn...
is also contained in Emyn Muil (drear hills), Emyn Beraid (tower hills), Emyn Uial (hills of Evendim)...

Orod (mountain)
as in Orodruin
is also contained in Ered Luin (blue mtns.), Ered Nimrais (white mtns.), Ered Lithui (Ash mountains)

Barad (tower)
as in Barad-dûr
is also contained in Emyn Beraid (tower hills)

Other place names with plurals in them:
  • Eryn Vorn (Black Forest, lit. "black trees")
  • Ost-in-Edhil (City of the Elves)
  • Fornost Erain (Northcastle of the kings)
  • Ethraid Angren (Fords of Isen)

As conclusion to this rather complicated topic, a few exercises:
Put the following words into plural!
  1. calar (lamp)
  2. crum (left hand)
  3. elleth (elf-woman)
  4. amoth (swamp)
  5. adanadar (father of men)
  6. abonnen (man)
  1. celair
  2. crym
  3. ellith
  4. emyth
  5. edenedair
  6. ebennin
Im happy about any comments/critiques on this format!

Community Outreach

~youtube-png.871.png~~twitter-png.873.png~~facebook-png.867.png~

13974_2.gif

Times Feedback:
Have a thought concerning the presentation of the MCME Times and how it can be improved? Because we are always looking for new ways to mix up and improve the Times experience through any means necessary and, if you have a comment or concern, it's likely that someone else had it as well and just didn't say anything about it. So be sure to message @Finrod_Amandil your thoughts through a PM or directly in this thread.

On a personal note - PVP Rebirth
Here I just want to apologise for that nothing has happened yet, but I reassure you, I have not forgotten it and as soon as I have more time to work on this one, I will (not only because i'm really keen on working with command blocks again ;-). But atm I just loaded myself a bit too many (especially MCME) stuff on my shoulders.

Closing Statement

A total of incredible 13 Projects with updates on them does this MCME Times count. Don't think we ever had so many. The progress is so fast at the moment that you merely don't dare to blink cause you might miss something. Keep that pace going and make 2015 the most productive year since the foundation of MCME!

And matching to that progress this quote:
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith.
The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.
- Galadriel in Fellowship of the Ring (Movie)

Last edited:
I though Guide promotions/resignations should be featured in the MCME Times?
Hmm yeah of course, only problem is that I only heard from Darth yesterday that 3 are left, nothing more; I know about popcorn, but else may you help me quickly? :confused:

Last edited:
As suggested by @DSESGH, every project section comes now along with its leader, so that you know who to contact for more info instantly!