• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

The Science Page

MY60SYK.png

Quantum teleportation
Alien life
Regrowing teeth
Suspended animation
Artificial blood vessels
SpaceX’ manned spacecraft
Graphene spray gun
Super waterproof surfaces

Hmm, the regrowing teeth thing is not exactly true.

What they did is activate a common modulator molecule and they saw that it induces dentine generation. The amazing thing about it, is that TGF-beta 1 is light induced and that it has a role in stem cell differentiation (I could explain what TGF does but seriously, it's not easy). That's something completely different than regrowing teeth with lasers.

Also, Will, this is a bit off topic, but I will for sure consider nominating you if there is a best forum avatar contest!
That peeing little guy is our country's pride, don't even think about making fun of him . . .kinda says enough about the rest of Belgium ;)

Quoting wiki pages for science? Hmm, dangerous. My professor of anatomy showed how of it is by finding five mistakes (with references that were faulty) in 15 minutes. But nevertheless cool concepts!

Another fact for y'all and pretty funny.

I study at an university hospital (however you say it) which has a pretty big campus/facility. Every building get a certain letter according to what it's used for: p stands for policlinic, k for kliniek (that's hospital in dutch) and several others. Since there are many different building they get an additional number so you get p1 to p8 and so on. One building though has an extra letter assigned and it's called k12f. It's the psychiatric ward and research building but why didn't they just call it k12? Well there already is a k12. So why not k13?
Because 13 is an unlucky number.
To prevent anxiety and further problems they named the psych ward k12f. Seems ironic.

Apparently most hospitals avoid using the number 13 and they either skip the number or use an extra code for it. Try to find it for yourself in your next visit...
Seeing as I was doing research as basic forms of life in class, and found that Yale linked Wikipedia as a source, i'd consider it trustworthy.

Seeing as I was doing research as basic forms of life in class, and found that Yale linked Wikipedia as a source, i'd consider it trustworthy.
Wikipedia not being a reliable source is total BS from my experience. I always used it as a reference and a source of information for essays and projects, to great success. Wikipedia itself has hundreds of Administrators who check edits around the clock, and unless you have several sources supporting your changes, they will be undone. You can see in the footnotes of every page that there is a long list of reliable sources that the information on the Wikipedia page comes from. Even if you really don't trust Wikipedia's information, it's still a great tool to find original trustworthy sources.

Wikipedia not being a reliable source is total BS from my experience. I always used it as a reference and a source of information for essays and projects, to great success. Wikipedia itself has hundreds of Administrators who check edits around the clock, and unless you have several sources supporting your changes, they will be undone. You can see in the footnotes of every page that there is a long list of reliable sources that the information on the Wikipedia page comes from. Even if you really don't trust Wikipedia's information, it's still a great tool to find original trustworthy sources.
Think you linked the wrong person...

You might be able to use it for highschool essays but not for science guys, there is for instance a mistake on what the antagonist and agonist muscles are for the ear and eye movement. The reason why yale might link it, is for image sources or article sources, not information. I have a couple of professors use images from wikipedia but they are always heavely edited and it's a professor who does it. He knows more than the wiki page gives. If you search for info, 99,99% of the time you know very little about the thing.

I even found a mistake in the previous science post where they give a direct link to the article. Check the 'regrowing teeth with lasers'. How you say something has a great impact on information and wikis are very sensitive for that bias.
Now wiki's have a lot of things right too so it's best used as an orientation tool but not as an end point source. Especially for any grad level course.

i only ever use Wikipedia for image sources, i have to scour the web for reliable and obscure original stuff for my work at uni. tis a right pain!

You might be able to use it for highschool essays but not for science guys, there is for instance a mistake on what the antagonist and agonist muscles are for the ear and eye movement. The reason why yale might link it, is for image sources or article sources, not information. I have a couple of professors use images from wikipedia but they are always heavely edited and it's a professor who does it. He knows more than the wiki page gives. If you search for info, 99,99% of the time you know very little about the thing.

I even found a mistake in the previous science post where they give a direct link to the article. Check the 'regrowing teeth with lasers'. How you say something has a great impact on information and wikis are very sensitive for that bias.
Now wiki's have a lot of things right too so it's best used as an orientation tool but not as an end point source. Especially for any grad level course.
Ok thanks, didn't know this. :p

While wikipedia can be a reliable source of information, there are too many pages to be checked constantly. When I use wikipedia, I use it for images and for pieces of information that I know is true, but have to cite anyway. I've found multiple mistakes. Also, did you know that if you edit a whole page and replace every word with "derp" it doesn't let you save it? Someone tried to do it while at my church...lol

Since I am bored and wanted to talk science, I'm going to talk about diseases.

Recently I follow a lecture about the increasing resistence of bacteria against anitbiotics. Some interesting facts I heard then.

Apparently antibiotics aren't as new as people think. During evolution, some species developed ways of countering bacteria to survive and thrive in a hostile world. In a sample of permafrost they found DNA in a mammoth carcass that coded for resistence against modern day antibiotics. This means that bacteria already created counter meassures against the medication we have and against medication we still have to discover! This could lead to incureable diseases but more factors come into play, so don't worry yet.

The way we discover most of these illoustrous substances is pretty simple. You go to a forest, dig a hole, take the earth to a lab and see if something is immuum to an infection. No difficult chemistry or engineering of drugs. Just digging. That means that most of the antibiotics we have are already known to some bacteria and thus they know how to get around them.

To know how to get around what antibiotic, bacteria must encounter it first. This is why overuse is not a good idea to do, since the bacteria who are resistant will prosper and grow better. You might have heard of campaigns to limit the use of antibiotics in modern medicine but it goes further than that. Antibiotics are used everywhere, from food preparation in factories to putting them in plastic. There is a big chance that the chair you are sitting on is made with antibiotics because it kills the bacteria that break plastic, so your chair lasts longer.

A growing trend in most western hospitals is the increase of multiresistant diseases like MRSA or xmr tuberculosis. Those are incureable diseases which can only be treated with very strong medications and with luck. Think ebola times a 100. These aren't too easy to get though but if you're in a hospital, always wash your hands while entering and leaving with an alcoholic formula. I always do. Thankfully, using hygiene and certain protocols we can stabilise the trend but not completly stop it.

Should you worry about all this? Frankly not a lot because like dr malcolm of jurrassic park said: life always finds a way. Just wash yourself once in a while.

Last edited: