• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Unrealistic Overuse of Animations

Ardelenia

One Of Us, One of Us
Supporter
Credits
XP
The animations plugin is awesome. I have loved them ever since I was a wee droog visiting Bree and Moria. However, now that people are adding a lot more of them, I want to share my concern about their overuse.

Specifically, I am concerned about gates, drawbridges, and portcullises. In times of peace, which I would argue most of Middle-Earth is in during 3001, cities kept their gates open -- if not always, then at least during the day until a certain curfew. If you're not satisfied with the historical precedent, consider that any of these structures worth having for defensive purposes would be heavy and sturdy, and probably take a fair amount of time and effort to move. With people entering and exiting cities all the time, be they merchants or travelers or what have you, it seems terribly inconvenient (and unfriendly/unwelcoming) for the guards to have to open them every time someone comes up.

I would suggest that city gate animations be removed -- Bree could perhaps stay animated since that is a more suspicious, less peaceful region. Or, at the very least, switch them from proximity triggered to a toggle like the bucklebury ferry so they could default to open unless someone wants to change it. (Seems like those might be a little buggy though?) Also, while I'm expressing displeasure with animations, the not-yet-implemented drawbridge connecting the castle halves of Minas Aduial (on plotworld) is very impractical and inefficient to raise and lower outside of a siege

In conclusion, this is yet another iteration of the realistic vs aesthetic debate which pops up often on this server. Thank you for reading.

For the sake of clarity let me state explicitly, military structures and castles should remain animated. E.g. Helm's Deep, Osgiliath, DA Palace, the outer gate of Minas Aduial Castle, the currently-unanimated top level of MT (unsubtle suggestion), ...

d518802fbfe0180d5c818f388e5979a8.png

But in all seriousness, what even is the point in the plugin if you dont use it? + you can see the gate closed when Gandalf and Pippin arrive to Minas Tirith. Or when Faramir is leaving to retake Osgiliath. And also another point that need to be pointed out... Gondor is AT WAR with Mordor! Ofcourse they are gonna spend some time opening and closing the gates than risk letting anyone unwanted in. Especially with frontier cities like Dol Amroth, or Pelargir, etc. + the animations look cool and that is what matters

Last edited:
Especially with frontier cities like Dol Amroth, or Pelargir, etc
Interesting definition of frontier?
But in all seriousness, what even is the point in the plugin if you dont use it?
+ the animations look cool and that is what matters
Yes, this is the response I anticipated with the last sentence of my original post. I just wanted to voice my opinion, more so than expecting y'all to do anything about it.