• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

In Progress Wheat for it..

How tall should the "mature" wheat be?

• 1 block tall

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • ~1.2 blocks tall

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • ~1.5 blocks tall

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

Fireinferno13

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
6wG91cT.png
See what I did there?

Anyways, working on improved wheat textures (100% original) to finally get rid of our current, chunky textures and replace such with more realistic ones. Below I included a draft of my "mature" crop texture as well as an in field view. Something seems a little off (though it might just be me) and I would appreciate any feedback people have. I will continue to post textures as they are made!

Updated: 12/17
Progress:
- Outline: Done
- Texturing: WIP
- Stage 7: Finishing
- Stage 1-6: WIP
- Future: Hold
- Wheat Variants
- Grain Variants
Current Texture Files:
C8SoK2k.png
it5w36H.png
d5408Qk.png
3Zsakv6.png
czfEVG8.png
DLtiXfC.png
7wWpBKK.png
7bpdQDy.png

Last edited:
How are the color variations on the wheat? Cause in that screen we can only see the mature?

How are the color variations on the wheat? Cause in that screen we can only see the mature?
The feedback was meant as improving the single texture's color variation so that its not just two very similar shades.

Okay here is an updated variant, thoughts?
KIwSnVO.png

Current Feedback:
- Make top more distinct in terms of color difference

XVWWLtI.png

Last edited:
The feedback was meant as improving the single texture's color variation so that its not just two very similar shades.

Okay here is an updated variant, thoughts?
KIwSnVO.png

Current Feedback:
- Make top more distinct in terms of color difference​

XVWWLtI.png
Looks very nice! One question tho, is it possible to make the texture a bit bigger then just one block hight? Would make it more realistic.

That is no problem, I can change the block model very easily (how much bigger? up to one block higher is possible). The texture will simply be scaled up.

Some alternate textures for crops would be great too, this would avoid the look of straight lines on a field.

Last edited:
It depends on the type of the wheat:
the triticum turgidum durum (aka the wheat you use for make pasta, grows in the mediterranean area) has a maximum height of 70/80cm
the triticum aestivum (known as common wheat, is the one you can find in central-north europe, america, china) has an height that variates from 60/70 cm to 160/180 cm

It depends on the type of the wheat:
the triticum turgidum durum (aka the wheat you use for make pasta, grows in the mediterranean area) has a maximum height of 70/80cm
the triticum aestivum (known as common wheat, is the one you can find in central-north europe, america, china) has an height that variates from 60/70 cm to 160/180 cm
Shouldnt we compare the wheats of middle earth to ancient grains like sorghum rather than modern wheat?

Edit:
If we want variations of different grains, we could do Spelt, Barley, Oats, Sorghum, Farro, Emmer and Einkorn

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who has posted feedback, I have included a poll at the top of the page in order to get some opinions on how tall these wheat crops should be.

That is no problem, I can change the block model very easily (how much bigger? up to one block higher is possible). The texture will simply be scaled up.
Can you post a test of this at 1.2-1.5 blocks high? The other option is that I could design a new texture that is slightly taller or even two blocks put together (like "tall plants"). Let me know what would be easier with your block model.

Some alternate textures for crops would be great too, this would avoid the look of straight lines on a field.
If we want variations of different grains, we could do Spelt, Barley, Oats, Sorghum, Farro, Emmer and Einkorn
Once the basic 7-stage wheat is complete, I can work on a handful of alternative textures. This can include both variation in the wheat crops to avoid the "row" effect, as well as some alternative grains which I also discussed a little with Eaglz. One thing at a time though.

Side question: how possible is it that these block models will break in the future? I know minecraft tends to upgrade in crazy ways relatively frequently and I want to ensure that we do not overstep our abilities and end up screwed in the future or if you ever leave the server...

Last edited:
Shouldnt we compare the wheats of middle earth to ancient grains like sorghum rather than modern wheat?

Edit:
Most of the variations looks almost identical to each other

Block model file to change for wheat height:
{
"ambientocclusion": false,
"textures": {
"particle": "#crop"
},
"elements": [
{ "from": [ 4, -1, 0 ],
"to": [ 4, 20, 16 ],
"shade": false,
"faces": {
"west": { "uv": [ 0, 0, 16, 16 ], "texture": "#crop" },
"east": { "uv": [ 0, 0, 16, 16 ], "texture": "#crop" }
}
},
{ "from": [ 12, -1, 0 ],
"to": [ 12, 20, 16 ],
"west": { "uv": [ 0, 0, 16, 16 ], "texture": "#crop" },
"east": { "uv": [ 0, 0, 16, 16 ], "texture": "#crop" }
}
},
{ "from": [ 0, -1, 4 ],
"to": [ 16, 20, 4 ],
"north": { "uv": [ 0, 0, 16, 16 ], "texture": "#crop" },
"south": { "uv": [ 0, 0, 16, 16 ], "texture": "#crop" }
}
},
{ "from": [ 0, -1, 12 ],
"to": [ 16, 20, 12 ],
"north": { "uv": [ 0, 0, 16, 16 ], "texture": "#crop" },
"south": { "uv": [ 0, 0, 16, 16 ], "texture": "#crop" }
}
}
]
}
The bold numbers define the height (all stages are scaled). 15 is the default value. 16 would make them one block high. 32 for two blocks.

6wG91cT.png
See what I did there?

Anyways, working on improved wheat textures (100% original) to finally get rid of our current, chunky textures and replace such with more realistic ones. Below I included a draft of my "mature" crop texture as well as an in field view. Something seems a little off (though it might just be me) and I would appreciate any feedback people have. I will continue to post textures as they are made!

Updated: 12/17
Progress:
- Outline: Done
- Texturing: WIP
- Stage 7: Finishing
- Stage 1-6: WIP
- Future: Hold
- Wheat Variants
- Grain Variants
Current Texture Files:
C8SoK2k.png
it5w36H.png
d5408Qk.png
3Zsakv6.png
czfEVG8.png
DLtiXfC.png
7wWpBKK.png
7bpdQDy.png
UPDATE: Full set complete!

I have uploaded both a screenshot and the individual textures to my main post as shown. Feel free to download the textures yourself and test it (though keep in mind you will not see the 1.33x tall version unless you download the model file).

Please post any feedback/thoughts and I will do my best to turn the textures around in a timely fashion.
(@Eriol_Eandur , @Finrod_Amandil , @Tyranystrasz , @Eaglz24 )

the young one is supposed to be greenish right? so i think its fine! :)
for the older stages i could turn to yellow-golden more quickly maybe ... for the looks ;)

According to google images fields are supposed to look rather uniform, so either all green or all yellow; guess your textures are fine, we'd rather have to only use very few various growth stages in one field at once.

According to google images fields are supposed to look rather uniform, so either all green or all yellow; guess your textures are fine, we'd rather have to only use very few various growth stages in one field at once.
I am working with Eriol to create 3 or so variants for at least the mature crop stages (and maybe even for the other crops such as beets/carrots/potatoes). This does not mean color variants but rather variations in size/rows so that crops do not look as repeated.