• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Canceled Alvin035 - Artist App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin035

Is going on an adventure!
Credits
XP
I joined MCME 24th of February 2016. So I have been a member for 2 years now. The latest months I've not been active. Mostly why is because of my patience. I stopped applying for an artist rank and also stopped playing on the server. Now I have all the patience of the world and I'm back for more building!

When I'm online on the server I usually build on my themed builds. If a job starts I always join. So the jobs I have done is beyond count. I've not built a plotbuild.

This first album is a bridge I built in 2016. Of course, I'm better at building bridges today.
Imgur
This next one is a tower I made January 2017.
Imgur
A forest (I think it is the Elvish entrance to the Mirkwood road) built 2017.
Imgur
This is the great smials, built 2017.
Imgur
This is formenos, built early 2017 or earlier.
Imgur
This is my newest building. It is Amon Hen, built 2018.
Imgur

My favorite style of building in is gondorian. I really like building castles and monuments, but I also really enjoy building simple houses and such things.

I am a big fan of J.R.R Tolkien. I think that the work you do is amazing. I would LOVE to help. The thing I most enjoy about Minecraft is building and if you combine building in Minecraft with Tolkiens world I would sell my heart and soul for being in that community. And that is exactly what you have done, created this amazing opportunity for me. I hope that I'm good enough for this. Thank you.

Attachments

• KgrFbWH.png
    KgrFbWH.png
    736.7 KB · Views: 282
  • FseHqcG.png
    FseHqcG.png
    587.4 KB · Views: 274
  • OifQlmv.png
    OifQlmv.png
    592.2 KB · Views: 270
  • lieLf5I.png
    lieLf5I.png
    444.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 2JExLqD.png
    2JExLqD.png
    735.9 KB · Views: 277
  • ZgRzJx9.png
    ZgRzJx9.png
    670.3 KB · Views: 259
  • oIrktxE.png
    oIrktxE.png
    814.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 6gHNKbg.png
    6gHNKbg.png
    303.6 KB · Views: 245
  • haSQhfF.png
    haSQhfF.png
    823.7 KB · Views: 245
  • O9MEHBH.png
    O9MEHBH.png
    753.8 KB · Views: 243
  • sWi47Aa.png
    sWi47Aa.png
    778.8 KB · Views: 246
  • myageEu.png
    myageEu.png
    692.3 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Thanks for your application!

Here's some tips on what you could still improve in your building:
  • Most importantly it is the topic of material choices. It is already quite a challenge selecting a set of materials that fit together well, let's first have a look at how many different materials should be picked: In almost every building you will find on MCME you will find that it uses 2 or 3 different materials. If you choose more (as you did for the house inside the walls, you used acacia logs, white small bricks, light grey bricks, those blue-ish shingles, and cobblestone, so five different materials (not counting details like shutters and similar)) it overwhelms the eye a bit, it looks a bit unorganized, and, well, just a bit strange. On the other hand if you choose too few materials (e.g. as for the main part of your wall where you have only one material, mossy variant doesnt count) it looks too boring and uniform.
  • Secondly a note about which materials can be combined. Basically most combinations may work, but the most classical one that does not really is the combination of light and dark grey bricks (as in your towers), the base texture is the same and the colors are too similar to be clearly distinguished, which again results in a weird look.
  • You've got a very good eye for nice shapes though, especially the shapes of the wall (upper part) look very intricate and nice. If you now use more than one texture there you can make these shapes be even more prominent, now they disappear in the "eternal whiteness" a bit. What I think turned out to be a tad strange though. It is very top heavy and it seems to have no windows which makes the tower a bit useless I think!

Hey Alvin,
Could you add the new screenshots to this thread and delete your other application threads (ask an Enforcer, if you can't to it yourself). It's quite confusing to search through 3 threads for one person ;)
At your new Formenos screenshots, you improved some of the points Finrod mentioned above. The upper part of the wall is much better now, the grey and white bricks are a good combination which emphasises the nice shape. You can further improve by adding some decorational blocks like
The bastions made of cracked stone bricks only look very weird to me. Cracked stone bricks should be used very sparse only, otherwise it creates strange regular pattern of cracks. Also you kept the combination of three differnt shades of gray stone bricks, which Finrod already suggested not to use.
The tower is still very slender with a heavy upper part and you used too many different materials in the tower

Aside from themed builds you can improve your chances to get Artist by helping with >>jobs and plotbuilds<< as you already do. When you finished a task for a Designer, remember to ask the Designer to give points to your application as described >>here<<.

Alright, thanks for following some tips I gave!

The one thing that still bothers me now are the roofs and tower tops. Stone roofs are almost always a no-go, beside maybe some dwarven houses stone is not used for roofs, not only does it look kinda strange but also is it just hilariously and unnecessarily difficult to construct a roof thats not letting rain and stuff through and is not too heavy for the entire construction (Exception: flat tower tops, as in Dol Amroth). Please look at some towers and houses in Cair Andros and Minas Tirith for some examples of how a roof might look like. Also look at the other Formenos builds, there's a ton of great examples there, and don't hesitate to imitate on of these ideas, as that is how you learn to build them!

Alright, thanks for following some tips I gave!

The one thing that still bothers me now are the roofs and tower tops. Stone roofs are almost always a no-go, beside maybe some dwarven houses stone is not used for roofs, not only does it look kinda strange but also is it just hilariously and unnecessarily difficult to construct a roof thats not letting rain and stuff through and is not too heavy for the entire construction (Exception: flat tower tops, as in Dol Amroth). Please look at some towers and houses in Cair Andros and Minas Tirith for some examples of how a roof might look like. Also look at the other Formenos builds, there's a ton of great examples there, and don't hesitate to imitate on of these ideas, as that is how you learn to build them!
I'll change the shape of the roof?

Not necessarily, no, changing the roofs to a different material should already make a great difference!

For your Amon Hen i would want to some ruining done, with detail ruins. this is very important if you look at the history of Amon Hen the seat was built before the time of the stewards of gondor so its a minimum of 969 years old, show that in your ruin, much overgrowth, with ruined walls and stairs as it would have been eroded due to weather

Hey Alvin, thank you for your update!

Your Amon Hen Themed-build seems to be quite good, but hard to say for sure as you didn't post any overview screenshots. Additionally to the ruining ooits mentioned you should randomise materials a bit. Add some colored and mossy cobblestone at the floors, maybe even some other blocks.

-Eriol

EDIT:
I had a look at your Amon Hen ingame. You made nice custom trees and details along the paths, but would be cool if you would spend same attention to all parts of your plot. Some corners are very empty :p

Last edited:
Please update your application or the Artist Committee will not consider your application until we see an update and improvement to what was previously said by one of our artists/foreman/designer/head-designer.

This application has been denied due to no update or improvement to what was previously said by one of our designers. Please contact me directly if you feel you want to pursue this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.