• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Accepted Artist Rank Application-samgamgee10

Status
Not open for further replies.

samgamgee10

Another Moria Worker
Credits
XP
  • My name is samgamgee10
  • Date: I joined MCME on February 21 of 2016
  • Jobs: I have participated in building some roads in Lamedon and Andrast. I have been decking out some farmsteads south of Sunderborough with walls, wells, crops, and other stuff. I ruined the walls and towers surrounding the gardens area of Fornost. I have helped @toeyoman and @Wroxxite with their farms in Anfalas and Andrast, and participated in a lot (too lazy to count how many) Themed-Builds so far. I have done many roads for @kisos and @Darki190 in Anfalas. @Wroxxite and @greglas2 have helped me build my first house on the server under supervision. I dug out almost all the roads for Tumladen for @Fireinferno13 and also finished two houses in the Tumladen plotbuild for him.
  • Screenshots:
  • I got rid of these just because there was some weird pictures disply problems for my computer.
  • New Formenos Screens, I added three new pics of the new walls. I am now starting the interiors, and redoing the area to the right of the great hall to make it into a more grassy area, and have random natural splotches of pavement for houses, shops, and other city/settlement attributes. I put black netherrack detailing into the walls, I think it contrasts better with the white than the smooth stone.

• I added some pictures of the interior of the first house.

• The completed interior of the Great Hall of Formenos. I know that I need to improve on the throne, but since all of the ones in MCME seemed to small for Fëanor, so I just made it a bit bigger.

• Interests: Very few of my singleplayer creations are based off of anything but LotR. In almost all of my worlds, you will find a dark hallway or a grand entranceway which was supposed to be a try at Erebor or Moria, leading either to a fully decked-out hall, or it just ends, incomplete, in stone. Since my trip to the UK, many of my builds are based off of English, Scottish, and Welsh castles, all with a medieval twist to them. I also like to build small walled towns with stacatto roofing, in many ways, like San Gimignano. (A walled town in Italy said to have adopted on a full scale the most modern tall buildings avaliable to them, which may modern skyscrapers are based off of) I have a specialty in Dwarven architecture, all the perfect angles on their hallways and bridges and halls I enjoy building.

• Why I Applied for This Rank (Motivation): I think for over three years now, I have been watching MCME tour videos and other similar videos. Finally, after all of that time, only about three an a half weeks ago, I joined. Through MCME I can finally beat my mom at LotR lore, become more of a LotR nerd, (I've got to be a LotR nerd by now if I have a map of moria as my background, and created almost three different languages all based of of Angerthas, Sindarin, and Black Speech) and and many other things besides. Becoming an Artist would let me feel the satisfacton of 'ranking up', and would let me make more extensive friendships with other artists. (I haven't been able to, since it's usually only me and the staff member talking on Teamspeak at all during jobs, and I hate using the chat) I would be very interested in helping in Erebor, and other things of that sort in the area of Rhovanion, like Beorn's House, Rhosgobel, Dol Gudur, The Halls of Thranduil, the villages of the Woodmen, and Laketown. I know though, that we are still working on Gondor, and that Moria will be coming up next, and I would still be delighted to work on anything that is available.

Last edited:
Thank you for your application! I would like to give you some tips on what you can do to increase your chances to get accepted.

Please don't post job pictures here. Instead ask the Desiger leading the job to give you applicatoin points. At your application you should post screenshots of builds which are made by you alone, best are Themed Builds like your Tirith Aear. Please post some more screenshots. Some overviews from different angles, some detail screenshots and don't forget to show the interior. Best would be to make imgur albums and embed them here as "Media".

Your Tirith Aear is a good start. You tried to make it interesting using horizontal and vertikal structures that is good. But it looks quite different from the style we use on MCME. Have a look at some towers in Dol Amroth at the main map. You can see there the "double wall" concept. Pillars which are connectet with arches in the first layer and the main wall filling the spaces between the pillars in the second layer behind. Alway use another material than the pillars. Try to use many half slab and stair blocks to make nice detail stuctures.
At the top of the tower I think the overhang is too large, it looks very fragile. At the lower part I don't like the large glass faces.
You also made some terrain around your tower, very well. For the path you mixed some materials. You could do that with the cliffs too. Mix in some coal, hardend clay stained clay blocks they will look less uniform then. Have a closer look at the cliffs at Dol Amroth to get the idea.
Try to add some details like grass and flowers. And don't forget about the sea bottom. Use a mixture of different blocks there too: Gravel, sand, hardend clay, dirt, coal....

I would suggest that you participate in a few more Themed builds to impove these points.

Aside from themed builds you can improve your chances to get Artist by helping with >>jobs and plotbuilds<< as you already did. Try to stay very active with jobs. When you finished a task for a Designer, remember to ask the Designer to give points to your application as described >>here<<.

Finrod, is this what you were talking about when you said to put a new post in the application thread?

Yes Sam, this is ok.

The large scale structures of your Erebor throne room look great!

Don't forget to use more individual materials and add a lot of small details ...

Last edited:
My application has been updated to include my latest Themed-Build. And to add on to this, how do you embed Imgur albums as media as you said earlier Eriol?

Upload all your images at once, make sure "create album" is ticked. then copy the URL of the page you get to, click in here the "Media" icon (the movie button, not the picture button) and paste your URL in there.

Is this easier on your computer Eriol? I think i got it in jpeg. also added another singleplayer screenshot (first picture)

Hey sam,
you obviously put a lot of work in your themed builds, and you improved some things I mentioned above (e.g. details on Almaren, double walls at the Havens of Sirion)
There are still some more things you can do better:
  • The wall of the Havens looks very repetitive. Try not to repeat only one structure again and again, make two or better three different structures and combine them to make a wall.
  • Some areas look to uniform: Roads and places at Havens of Sirion, roof of Great House. Alaways mix in some other materials (cracked / mossy stone bricks, cobble stone, smooth stone,....) or add some more fancy decorational struktures. The inside of the Great House could be improved with some pillars and beams to support the roof, too.
  • There are still quite a lot areas at your builds which look very empty: interior of Great House, Roads at Havens of Sirion
    Details, details, details!!! Try to imagine what items could be there. Use paintings, and banners too (don't overuse).
  • You made some piles of crates at the Havens, but looks a bit weird to see a stack of only one kind of crate, better mix them.
  • Also keep in mind the style on the main map. Great House is too high, I believe its higher than the Great Hall at the citadel of Minas Tirith.
Good luck.

Ya, sorry about having the interiors being quite empty, I just rarely have enough time to fill them. In Formenos, since it's a project build, I will try to do full interiors. I should have put signs on the areas that I had not finished yet.

Updated App.
Whoever changed the fact that you can continue to work on your TBs after the time limit is ETERNALLY AWESOME!!!!! That has helped me so much, you will now hopefully see my horrible elven architecture on my Formenos TB sometime in the near future.

I asked q to change that, thanks for noting that it has worked out :D We used to argue at some point that a part of building is "getting something done at some point" instead of working on something forever, but really, if you can construct something slowly, you can also do it a bit quicker I think. That's why I thought this restriction is no longer appropriate ;).

Wow your Formenos is taking a really nice shape!

The towers you made have a very nice shape and in combination with the red roofs also the coloring is coming along well. The one tip I would like to give you for your walls and maybe also for your towers is to use one more material to make it look less uniform. I would suggest experimenting a bit and checking out some walls on the MCME map to see some ideas how two materials can be combined in a wall. Personally I'd try making the core of the wall out of smooth stone and leaving the ornaments outside out of white bricks.

The idea to combine the floor pattern blocks in this way to make it look ruined is very interesting. Looks really good!

The red tree has indeed a bit a funky shape, the other one is perfectly fine though from what I can see. I suggest you go to plotworld and type /warp stencillists to see a large amount of trees you can take as inspiration.

Congrats on watchlist :)

You did really nice river job on Saturday.

Thanks Finrod and Eriol, and I will look on the plotworld when I have a chance, but I have a slight cold, so I may not get on today.

Updated, new walls are implemented. I tried to fix the red tree, but not to much avail. I make a new spruce next to the great hall. Thanks for telling me about the stencillists warp, I got some new tree styles from it.

Nice interiors Sam, but at some places you used paintings in an unrealistic way:
  • Bookshelf and cupboard on two faces of the same block
  • Bockshelf on two faces of the same block.
Also that room is very small. I would like to see an interior of a large room, like the main hall of your Formenos build.

Status
Not open for further replies.