• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Canceled Bradley Artist Application

Brqdley

Expert Stream Digger
Credits
XP
I joined MCME around late september. Jobs I participated in were many Da house / tower jobs. ( as seen in imgur). I also worked in Da sewers and river jobs with Patrick and DArki and bartel. I made some trees in the tree build area. I participated in the House of Kings theme build (as seen in imgur). I like building elven style and I like building terrain and organic stuff unrelated to LOTR. I am applying for artist because I really want to dedicate my time into helping the server progress because it is one of the best communities and I find it very fun to help out. I also love to show my support for the server by doing so. I think artist will help me expand my dedication by allowing me to build more complex things such as Gondor.

Thank you!
Brqdley

Artist App

EDIT: Made pictures clear.
UPDATE: theme build improvement
UPDATE: Theme build Added maze, terrain etc

Last edited:
Not a bad application, although there are a couple of things I might suggest about the screenshots themselves:
1- Take more screenshots in f1, they look much nicer and somewhat more- for a lack of a better word- 'formal' . Also, turn down the POV it's a little too much and its hard to see a lot of what is going on in the screenshots, which links into the next one:
2- Have more CLEAR screenshots in your app, there are some nice interiors but the album is lacking with clear exterior shots of different builds, only then will we be able to truly judge your builds.

You have, however, been somewhat active in jobs which is crucial for an aspiring artist like you.
Clear up a couple screenshots and this application is not half b

-Quanta

Not a bad application, although there are a couple of things I might suggest about the screenshots themselves:
1- Take more screenshots in f1, they look much nicer and somewhat more- for a lack of a better word- 'formal' . Also, turn down the POV it's a little too much and its hard to see a lot of what is going on in the screenshots, which links into the next one:
2- Have more CLEAR screenshots in your app, there are some nice interiors but the album is lacking with clear exterior shots of different builds, only then will we be able to truly judge your builds.

You have, however, been somewhat active in jobs which is crucial for an aspiring artist like you.
Clear up a couple screenshots and this application is not half b

-Quanta
Thanks for the feedback! I will certainly make them more clear and turn down pov.

Ey brad,

- Last tree days, u've participated in almost every job... Just continue this ammount of activity.
- (add river jobs with darki and bartel as well ;) )
- Try to do next themebuild as well to show some more of ur buildskills (in another style)
- I agree with quanta on his comments on ur screens, so take his advice and make us fall in love with some atractive pics...
- (set ur fov on 90 when takin screenies)
-Merlin-

Ey brad,

- Last tree days, u've participated in almost every job... Just continue this ammount of activity.
- (add river jobs with darki and bartel as well ;) )
- Try to do next themebuild as well to show some more of ur buildskills (in another style)
- I agree with quanta on his comments on ur screens, so take his advice and make us fall in love with some atractive pics...
- (set ur fov on 90 when takin screenies)
-Merlin-
yeah i just did that
i revised the pics

Hey Bradley,
Thank you for your application!

I like your farmhouse and garden. You put a lot of details in there. Some screenshots from a higher point of view (at different angles) to get an overview would be nice.
About your House of Kings Themed-build first I want to mention that
1. white towers
2. round towers
are among the most difficult builds.
You already use two main building materials which is good in general. But your choice of large and small white bricks might lack contrast. It's hard to make nice structures with only white blocks (though I've seen people succeed with that). Maybe try to add some other coloured material, but if you want to stick to white only you need more fancy details, have a closer look at the Citadel of Minas Tirith for example.
The main weak spot of your towers are the flat walls. At Most parts there are just straight vertical lines of blocks wich looks very boring. It's usually a good idea to make the walls multi-layered with pillars in front of the main wall and use some more slabs and stairs. It becomes easier if you scale up the towers a bit.
In the interior you seem to have a tunnel like structure I would have expeced something more like a hall. It seems weird to me to have such a large house and just a narrow tunnel in it. Also a hall inside would give you the possibility to make a more interesting interior.
My last point is that your Themed-build looks unfinished. There is no nice road towards the house and there is so much unused space around. It is very important to fill all your plot.

I think if you would put some more work into this Themed-build it will look great. Just add screenshots of your finished build at your application post and reply to this thread with something like "updated".

Hey Bradley,
Thank you for your application!

I like your farmhouse and garden. You put a lot of details in there. Some screenshots from a higher point of view (at different angles) to get an overview would be nice.
About your House of Kings Themed-build first I want to mention that
1. white towers
2. round towers
are among the most difficult builds.
You already use two main building materials which is good in general. But your choice of large and small white bricks might lack contrast. It's hard to make nice structures with only white blocks (though I've seen people succeed with that). Maybe try to add some other coloured material, but if you want to stick to white only you need more fancy details, have a closer look at the Citadel of Minas Tirith for example.
The main weak spot of your towers are the flat walls. At Most parts there are just straight vertical lines of blocks wich looks very boring. It's usually a good idea to make the walls multi-layered with pillars in front of the main wall and use some more slabs and stairs. It becomes easier if you scale up the towers a bit.
In the interior you seem to have a tunnel like structure I would have expeced something more like a hall. It seems weird to me to have such a large house and just a narrow tunnel in it. Also a hall inside would give you the possibility to make a more interesting interior.
My last point is that your Themed-build looks unfinished. There is no nice road towards the house and there is so much unused space around. It is very important to fill all your plot.

I think if you would put some more work into this Themed-build it will look great. Just add screenshots of your finished build at your application post and reply to this thread with something like "updated".
Yeah I rushed the theme build. I will for sure add more detail until I think it looks finished. I just wanted to get this app out there for feedback. I’ll update the theme build soon.

I must say, this is one of the better written applications I've seen in a while. It's structured and straight to the point whilst still feeling personal. I like it.

About your buildings I must agree with Eriol regarding your theme build. It's plain, undetailed and looks rather unfinished. However seeing how good your other builds look I have no doubt that you can make your tb look just great as well.

As for your freebuild farm that's definitely on an Artist level already if it weren't for a few minor but important details: the crossbeams in tudor structures are for structural support and therefore have to be positioned with physics in mind. Just placing them randomly like you have defeats their purpose entirely. Look at real life examples of tudor buildings for reference. Secondly the thatched roof of the stable is supported by thin air. This is a big no no as the thatch must be supported from below by something sturdy like wood or else it would just fall apart. In real life it merely have to be supported by a framework of wood (unless you want it waterproof in which case it needs to be fully covered) but as you can't build that small in minecraft we've decided that thatch always have to be fully covered from beneath by wood on MCME. And finally the half-slab benches in your kitchen should be changed out by upside-down stairs so that they look supported as right now they seem to be floating. Oh and may I suggest adding a door in the doorway to the balcony? It would be quite drafty inside otherwise.
(Ps. The top portion of the farm house looks disproportionately tall compared to the rest of the house in my opinion. Maybe test and see if it looks better if you lower the roof by a block?)

Your DA bait shop looks fine, maybe a bit plain on the outside but not obtrusively so so it's not a problem. Just add a door to that balcony please. At least one more screenshot of the outside from another angle would have been nice though.

As for the thatched tower I'm wondering if you're ashamed of it or something as you really don't seem to want to show it of in your screenshots at all ;). Can't really say much about it from what I see as I hardly see anything of it but it looks quite plain and square on the outside which is rather boring.

Your DA poor house looks good as well. There's just a few details I'd like to point out; glass is expensive, especially such a intricate design like the one in the windows you used here. I'd suggest using either wooden fences or the simple wooden-framed windows for your poor house. Books are also very expensive as is the gold in the lock for the small chest above the door, I'd suggest replacing them with something cheaper looking. Depending on exactly how poor this family is you may also want to consider changing the beds to fur or even straw beds.

Dear @Brqdley
I have a few comments about your builds
Firstly good application but it's missing a couple things, I would edit your post and write why do you think you would be valuable for the artist team tell us why you can be good for the team how would you improve the team... And maybe some more details about you but that's not as needed...

About your builds:
They are a fine shape BUT the theme build for example is extremely plain, the walls and terrain you must focus on everything not only the building itself add trees hills sinkholes etc...
Your style is interesting but you need to ask yourself 2 things when ur building something
1. Does this make sense?
2. Would this work? Is it realistic?
Those are very important and you must focus on all the aspects of being an artist...
Good luck and show us your improvement

-Didi

Pst, @superlolster360 he added screenshots to the imgur album. ;)

@Brqdley would probably be better to make separate albums for each build and make changes more visible ("new!") in the edited application post.
Your towers are not flat anymore but they still look a bit unstructured. As I said, white and round sind two difficult things, both at once is really hard :p
At some places you use small white bricks for wall filling and large bricks for pillars at other places you switch the materials. Maybe try to use one material for one purpose consitently.
Also your surroundings of the House can be improved further. Try to make some big trees with real branches and a nice canopy. The flat area with the flowers looks still quite boring. Maybe add some bushes, make the terrain a bit ascending, add a path and some benches. Try to add more details in any way. The low cliffs are a good idea, but the transition to the flat terrain is a bit sudden. Make a bit ascending terrain below the cliff also add some more materials at the cliff stained clay (some of which have the stone texture but a slightly different colour). And you can place water with stone sword. ;)

Pst, @superlolster360 he added screenshots to the imgur album. ;)

@Brqdley would probably be better to make separate albums for each build and make changes more visible ("new!") in the edited application post.
Your towers are not flat anymore but they still look a bit unstructured. As I said, white and round sind two difficult things, both at once is really hard :p
At some places you use small white bricks for wall filling and large bricks for pillars at other places you switch the materials. Maybe try to use one material for one purpose consitently.
Also your surroundings of the House can be improved further. Try to make some big trees with real branches and a nice canopy. The flat area with the flowers looks still quite boring. Maybe add some bushes, make the terrain a bit ascending, add a path and some benches. Try to add more details in any way. The low cliffs are a good idea, but the transition to the flat terrain is a bit sudden. Make a bit ascending terrain below the cliff also add some more materials at the cliff stained clay (some of which have the stone texture but a slightly different colour). And you can place water with stone sword. ;)
Rlly need to make a guide on how to add media to an album and put the album link in ur app...

Dear @Brqdley
I've taken a look at your updated application i still have some issues but you did improve.
firstly why is there a maze on the theme build? it shouldn't be there read my older post about "does it make sense? is it realistic? would it fit? etc..." if you are trying to fill up room don't do things that shouldn't be there, make nature,rubble,paths,seating,water fountain etc...
secondly i would like to see as i said before why do you think you would do good for the team? how would you server with others? are you a team player? do you take upon you the responsibility of being an artist? why should you be expected instead others who want to be artist? what makes you special? what is your building theme favorite? and finally why do you deserve the artist rank and why do you want it?
best of luck keep on improving and make sure to read the notes you tend to ignore some of the older comments

Dear @Brqdley
I've taken a look at your updated application i still have some issues but you did improve.
firstly why is there a maze on the theme build? it shouldn't be there read my older post about "does it make sense? is it realistic? would it fit? etc..." if you are trying to fill up room don't do things that shouldn't be there, make nature,rubble,paths,seating,water fountain etc...
secondly i would like to see as i said before why do you think you would do good for the team? how would you server with others? are you a team player? do you take upon you the responsibility of being an artist? why should you be expected instead others who want to be artist? what makes you special? what is your building theme favorite? and finally why do you deserve the artist rank and why do you want it?
best of luck keep on improving and make sure to read the notes you tend to ignore some of the older comments
tbh some of that stuff isn't required and some of us (cough cough me and didi) went a bit ott when it came to the application process but i agree tell us what u love to build and i see u are faced with the same question as me. Does it make sense. I wish u luck on ur artist app and i do believe u have loads of potential :)
-super

Eh I’m giving up on this. Taking to long to get some feedback from fin
I waited a year before I got any response on my artist application ;) Finrod is busy he will answer someday. I don't think it'll take much longer too.