• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Accepted chuckie001 Artist Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckie001

Dirt Conaisseur
Credits
XP
Date joined:
Aug 23, 2018 (well, I did join some time in 2011 I think, built a house in Bree and helped in Moria a bit, but then I went away for years and server got reset, so I guess it doesn't count)

Jobs and Plotbuilds: (sorry, I don't have coordinates and exact foreman names for everything)
  • various Osgiliath riverbanks, vegetation, road repair, wall repair w/ Ooits, Nic, Barteld
  • river digging (Belfalas, multiple jobs, around 3260, 33, 4670) w/ Mr_Pants2000
  • ruining forges and bringing down bridges in Moria w/ Barteld
  • main bridge ruining/cleanup in Osgiliath w/ Dav3ck (eastern part, up until the wooden middle)
  • ruining/repairing houses (8545, 41, 3362; 8565, 39, 3340), adding vegetation in Osgiliatg w/ Barteld, Ooits
  • rampart and wall repairs in Osgiliath w/ Henry_Oakenshade
  • Moria waterworks house (-4311, 185, -6064) w/ Nic
  • Moria central dwelling house (I was imagining it as a small school/workshop for scribes, with lodgings) (-4222, 192, -7075) w/ Nic
  • Osgiliath vegetation and trees in a ruined house (8535, 34, 3650) w/ Oberanio

Themed-builds:
  • [FFA] ships (-57, 4, 34685; last update 2018-09-10):
    Vingilot, Eärendil's swan ship. I wanted to try something different than classical human "masts and square rigging", and instead of a ship only decorated to resemble a swan, make a ship that actually looks (and works a little) like one (except the neck length, that would be a bit too much for a ship). Still should be steerable: there are swan-feet paddles (controllable from inside) instead of a central rudder, and let's say that each wing can be turned independently in its socket (turned with… elf magic :) ). Interior should have a lot of storage space, and cabins for Eärendil & Elwing, plus a crew of 15, all beds above waterline. Hanging lanterns inspired by decorations in Lothlórien.

• Brandywine bridge (133, 24, 35186; last update 2018-09-16):
    The bridge is built at an angle of about 18 degrees (arctan(1/3)), since that's the way it would be built there, the shortest way across that piece of river (whoever came up with that particular angle of the river, I'm hating you with passion). I'd also happily build it in a shallower part, but then it would be too close to the edge of the plot. ;-) Width was set so that two ox carts can pass, which sounds reasonable for a bridge on the Great Eastern Road built by the Kings of Arnor. Includes complete scenery with a furnished bounder's house, ramps protecting against floating ice, various trees, and the Buckland Gate.

• Beorn's hall (-260, 5, 35500; last update 2018-09-22):
    The hall itself was made according to the book and this Tolkien's picture, the surrounding area inspired by this map from The Atlas of Middle-Earth. I tried to make a house that would make sense, and would actually work and have everything the book implies (such as a place to bake bread, and so on). Individual detailed comments are in the imgur album, I won't be copying them all here. ;)

Additional Builds:
  • Shelob's Lair (Freebuild; Shelob: 2113, 4, -71; tunnel concept: 2140, 4, -73; last update 2018-09-10):
    Tried to play with the unfinished Mordor pack, and setting up lighting.

• 21st Hall wall: Durin's Crown (Freebuild; 2221, 15, -8; last update 2018-09-10, but later moved a bit to the east)
    Durin's crown with the Seven stars above, then hammer and anvil (his emblems). Inspired by Doors of Durin. I think Nap copied this one into the 21st already.
  • 21st Hall wall: Mirrormere (Freebuild; 2251, 23, -20; last update 2018-09-10, but later moved a bit to the east)
    Three peaks over Kazad-dûm (west to east: Celebdil, Caradhras, Fanuidhol) reflecting in Mirrormere together with Durin's Seven stars.
  • 21st Hall wall: Aulë Prepares to Destroy His Children (Freebuild; 2282, 23, -8; last update 2018-09-10, but later moved a bit to the east; Nap adjusted the hair and beard)
    Inspired by Ted Nasmith's painting: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/File:Ted_Nasmith_-_Aulë_the_Destroyer.jpg
    I wanted to make it as a stone-color(less) relief from the beginning, but also, trying to add color to any of the two-block dwarves looks terrible

• Fortified bridge mill (Freebuild; 2251, 4, -79; last update 2018-10-05):
    BWOT asked me to make a showcase build based on real life architecture, so I picked a building from Timeline by M. Crichton. It's a 14th-century fortified bridge mill on Dordogne river, France. The book describes it quite well, and there's a small picture in it which I used as a reference. The main features of the bridge were a large water-powered forge and a grain mill, with the "bridge" aspect only secondary, for foot traffic (no wagons).
    Individual detailed comments are in the imgur album.

Some additional details:

The scale should be fairly accurate. I checked Google maps, and the river is around 50 meters wide in that area.

No candles or torches inside the grain mill. That was actually a good rule of thumb in medieval mills, because fine flour dust mixed with air can explode when ignited (Ark as a fire-juggler may be familiar with it, but for those interested, see Wiki: Dust explosion, Washburn A Mill, or read Timeline. ;-) ).

The forge is made of stone whitewashed with lime, which protects it from the water.

The riverbed is flat and shallow mostly to save work, but it would actually be kept that way, to get as much driving force to the water wheels as possible. The mechanisms are modeled, and yes, all the gears turn the right way. ;-)

For an added gameplay element, there's a not-entirely-easy parkour route from outside the northern side of the gate to the central uncovered part of the bridge, without swimming, ever going through the gate, or the inside of any of the buildings (which would be guarded). Can you find the route? :) (I guess with a few more additions, the parkour route could go all the way to the west bank.)

Additional inspiration: Old London Bridge (1), (2), medieval water-powered forges (1), (2).

Interests:
I like various styles. Most of all, I like putting a lot of thought and planning into building, making things that make sense. And where appropriate, I like detail, subtlety, and not overdoing things.
Besides MCME, I don't really build anywhere else (I never played Creative outside MCME, and I joined in part to see if I can build at all).

Motivation:
I've been reading Tolkien for the past 20 years, and probably like everyone else here, I like the server, and would love to contribute also on a level other than just jobs. :) Being able to work more freely would definitely help. :)

Last edited:
I personally vouch for Chuckie, since he has been a great help ever since he joined, and he can build quite well! (I know it does not really matter that much)

I like most of what I see here, your lore knowledge is good and from what I hear you take realism into account. However, I need to see maybe something more simple but good from you. Idk what the next themebuild is but try to make something (of your choice) to impress me, it doesn’t need to be of theme.

UPDATE 2018-09-22: I'm not sure if it counts as “simple”, but I've added a large album for the Beorn's Hall themebuild. There are several buildings, so perhaps it can count as several simple things instead of one big. ;)

UPDATE 2018-09-23: Added Moria central dwelling plotbuild, with screenshots.
(You may need to refresh the page view or click the "Jobs and Plotbuilds" album to look inside; it should contain 31 images now.)

UPDATE 2018-10-05: Added a fortified bridge mill (album and detailed comments). BWOT asked me to make specifically something based off real life architecture. Not sure if this is what trial builds are, but I hope everyone's satisfied. At least it looks like the picture it was based on. :p

Added another plotbuild a few days ago… uh… do I keep adding more to the app, or is it unnecessary at this point?

(I was told something about a watchlist over Discord voice a few days ago, but apparently, that's not a thing, and I can't stay logged in 24/7 waiting for someone to just happen to confirm or deny whether it was a joke. If a Beorn's Hall theme, a three-storey Moria house, Osgiliath trees and vegetation, and a bridge with a mill, a forge, two guard towers and a gatehouse aren't enough to count as “something more simple but good from you” and break the 3-week silence in this thread, then I'm really afraid I gave you a wrong impression about how much free time I have to spend here. Or was that bridge mill the trial build, and now it's just waiting for some sort of paperwork to go through? That'd be awesome. It's just that from other apps, I kinda got the impression that it's not uncommon for the whole app to be done in two weeks total, and on the other hand, three weeks of silence mean it's basically dead.)

“I don't want to be in a battle. But waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse.”

Added another plotbuild a few days ago… uh… do I keep adding more to the app, or is it unnecessary at this point?

(I was told something about a watchlist over Discord voice a few days ago, but apparently, that's not a thing, and I can't stay logged in 24/7 waiting for someone to just happen to confirm or deny whether it was a joke. If a Beorn's Hall theme, a three-storey Moria house, Osgiliath trees and vegetation, and a bridge with a mill, a forge, two guard towers and a gatehouse aren't enough to count as “something more simple but good from you” and break the 3-week silence in this thread, then I'm really afraid I gave you a wrong impression about how much free time I have to spend here. Or was that bridge mill the trial build, and now it's just waiting for some sort of paperwork to go through? That'd be awesome. It's just that from other apps, I kinda got the impression that it's not uncommon for the whole app to be done in two weeks total, and on the other hand, three weeks of silence mean it's basically dead.)
There is something called watchlist, you get on watchlist when they feel you are ready to become artist and then they will contact you to do your trial build(s). If your trial build is good enough you will then get promoted. To get on watchlist I would recommend doing more theme builds and/or trying new styles and builds to challenge yourself and improve.

There is something called watchlist, you get on watchlist when they feel you are ready to become artist and then they will contact you to do your trial build(s). If your trial build is good enough you will then get promoted. To get on watchlist I would recommend doing more theme builds and/or trying new styles and builds to challenge yourself and improve.

to clarify: I was told about being on the watchlist, IIRC. And I still don't know whether that build BWOT asked me to make was supposed to work as a trial build or not.

Your artist application is now under Watchlist, congratulations, you will be contacted privately by one of the Artist Committee on what you must do for your final challenge. Congrats @chuckie001!

(Ah, so it wasn't a trial build. Oh, well.) Thanks. Will the contact come over the private section of the forums, Discord, or do I have to stay logged in and hope to meet somebody when they happen to be online?

(Ah, so it wasn't a trial build. Oh, well.) Thanks. Will the contact come over the private section of the forums, Discord, or do I have to stay logged in and hope to meet somebody when they happen to be online?

Over the forum, discord or in the game if you happen to be on at that time.

Hello @chuckie001 ,

Your application has been accepted! Congratulations to the Purple Legion! Lead Builders and I both approve of your plots. Lindolas will help you get started if you need it as long as you ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.