• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Under review Command Whitelist to Hide Permissions for Those Who Can't Use Them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruk

Is going on an adventure!
Credits
XP
Hey so, I had a suggestion and I wanted to share it with y'all! On the server when a regular player tries typing a command- a lot of commands they don't have permission to use show up for them. I had a similar issue on one of the servers I used to own. I found a plugin called Command Whitelist and it works wonders. It blacklists all commands for anyone not op, then in the config folder you can go in and whitelist the command for specific permission groups. This way players will only see commands that they themselves have permissions to use. It's not fullproof by any means because you can only whitelist the first word of the command, so there might be commands that are two words or more long they can see but not use. However, it would really really help new players learn what commands they have that they can use. Just a suggestion. The plugin is totally free and rather old as well. Just would love to see it used here!

https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/commandwhitelist.2452/

Always I love this server, definitely the best thing on Minecraft ever. You all are amazing and appreciated!

I haven't seen this as a problems so far.

I'm rather hesitant to spend time on this. First it seems to be a lot of work to whitelist all the command we use, must be some hundred or more. Second the plugin is very old, made for mc 1.8, latest update from 2015. While a plugin like this is probably not much affected by minecraft updates there is some doubts. Also first comment at the download page is that in Bungee networks the whitelist doesn't work. Thas would make the whole think pointless for us.

Edit:
I get your point though. A clean tab complete would be very nice.

Edit again:
Maybe you could submit it to my list Work for Eriol. I don't think I'll get to it soon but we'll see.

Last edited:
Yea, a clean tab has been super useful. It also means people can't get a list of plugins you use just by looking at the possible commands. On smaller servers that's a bigger issues because people can look at your anti-cheat and find ways around them. Probably not as big of an issue for your server though. But if you all use bungee and it doesn't work there then that's a flop. As for it being old, I have it running on a 1.17 server just fine. It's very lightweight so it really doesn't mess with much. The big issue I think will be whether or not it actually works on bungee networks. I have never worked on any of those.

I will send it to that list in case you ever get around to looking at it more!

I haven't seen this as a problems so far.

I'm rather hesitant to spend time on this. First it seems to be a lot of work to whitelist all the command we use, must be some hundred or more. Second the plugin is very old, made for mc 1.8, latest update from 2015. While a plugin like this is probably not much affected by minecraft updates there is some doubts. Also first comment at the download page is that in Bungee networks the whitelist doesn't work. Thas would make the whole think pointless for us.

Edit:
I get your point though. A clean tab complete would be very nice.

Edit again:
Maybe you could submit it to my list Work for Eriol. I don't think I'll get to it soon but we'll see.

Hey Eriol, happy for me resolve this and lock the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.