• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Commoner?

Unicode_

Is going on an adventure!
Credits
XP
Hey just a quick question can someone explain how you get commoner rank I heard about some xp bar thing? Ya ok Thanks, UnicodeMC

Dear unicode,

You get commoner by gettin voted for by Artists+ .(artist/foreman/designer/enforcer/vala)
They'll give u there vote when u:
- participate in jobs and/or themebuilds
- are just a friendly person that contributes to the community in a positive way
- stick arround on the server for some time (be active, and stay active)
-Greetings Merlin-

Dear unicode,

You get commoner by gettin voted for by Artists+ .(artist/foreman/designer/enforcer/vala)
- are just a friendly person that contributes to the community in a positive way
-Greetings Merlin-
You forgot guides. They can vote too

then it should be guide+, cause artist is clearly above guide... ^^
No, it would be Guide/Artist+ because Guides and Artists are equals on the server. The rank order goes Oathbreaker, Adventurer, Commoner, Artist/Guide, Foreman, Designer, Enforcer, Vala, Head, Eru Ilúvatar.

No, it would be Guide/Artist+ because Guides and Artists are equals on the server. The rank order goes Oathbreaker, Adventurer, Commoner, Artist/Guide, Foreman, Designer, Enforcer, Vala, Head, Eru Ilúvatar.
shhhhh, actually it goes:
guide > 2nd degr. Oathbreaker > 1st degr. Oathbreaker > Adventurer > Commoner > Foreman > Designer > Enforcer > Artist > Vala > Q

:p

Maybe in your dreams Merl, maybe in your dreams.
Hey just a quick question can someone explain how you get commoner rank I heard about some xp bar thing? Ya ok Thanks, UnicodeMC

Aight,

So you get commoner by gettin voted for by Artists/Guides + (Artist / Guide > Foreman > Designer > Enforcer > Vala > Eru)

-Greetings Merlin-

Hey @UnicodeMC,
Yes you get votes as @Merlinc01 explained. The xp bar shows how many votes you already got. Once you xp bar is full you get promoted to Commoner.

@Merlin, @ryttyr I know you are just joking, but ...
This is quite important to me:
We don't have ranks to display any kind of hierachy. Ranks are not to honour a player or indicate they are better than others.
Ranks (except Adventurer and Commoner) are like tasks you are assigned to: Artists build. Designers plan projects and do terraforming. Formen run jobs and plotbuilds. Enforcers ensure a friendly community and and protect our buildings. Guides help playes and run tours and minigames. Oathbreakers need to reach their destination.
Adventurers and Commoners are the lucky ones who are free of assigned tasks :D
Commoner rank was introduced to show someone is at the server for a (short) while and contributed a bit (to building or community).

Hey @UnicodeMC,
Yes you get votes as @Merlinc01 explained. The xp bar shows how many votes you already got. Once you xp bar is full you get promoted to Commoner.

@Merlin, @ryttyr I know you are just joking, but ...
This is quite important to me:
We don't have ranks to display any kind of hierachy. Ranks are not to honour a player or indicate they are better than others.
Ranks (except Adventurer and Commoner) are like tasks you are assigned to: Artists build. Designers plan projects and do terraforming. Formen run jobs and plotbuilds. Enforcers ensure a friendly community and and protect our buildings. Guides help playes and run tours and minigames. Oathbreakers need to reach their destination.
Adventurers and Commoners are the lucky ones who are free of assigned tasks :D
Commoner rank was introduced to show someone is at the server for a (short) while and contributed a bit (to building or community).
Then why does it seem so hierarchical?
Foremen decide whether an artist/commoner/adventurer have done a good enough job or not and if not he might just let someone rebuild it all. Designers do the same against foremen and artists except much more abruptly, if they don't like your work they may just delete it without a word. Build styles are planned and made by Designers who need to have those styles accepted by the Head Designer after wich Foremen carries out this style as best they can to their workforce of Artists, Commoners and Adventurers who builds it. And Artists are expected to step in and 'help' Commoners and Adventurers when they "didn't do good enough". Foremen have access to the same commands as Artists and Guides as well as their Foreman commands and Designers have access to both Artist and Foreman commands as well as their Designer commands as well as access to World Edit and Voxel. If their job is merely to plan then how do their job require WE and Voxel whilst an Artist whoms job it is to build the world doesn't have access to these tools?
It clearly is a hierarchical system however I'm not saying that's a bad thing. In fact I think it is the best form of leadership MCME could have. The definition of who is and isn't a member is too fuzzy to have MCME be a functional democracy and whilst there occasionally is public staff meetings it's not like those attending can greatly influence the server so it's not a republic either. And in either case voting would have to be implemented which would slow down our entire process even more. And if MCME was an dictatorship or an anarchy it just wouldn't survive, our comunity would either leave or fall into chaos and then leave. So I think a hierarchy is good for MCME.
However the "I'm obviously better than you because I have a higher rank than you and therefore I'm gonna rub it all in your face" attitude which some players (mostly [but not only] foremen) showcase I think we could do without.

Last edited:
You are right that decicions about builds are organized in a hierachical system. In the end the Forman, Designer, Project Leader or Head Designer has the last word, that's their task and they are responsible for the results.

But if they want to do a good job they better listen to the builders and consider their ideas. An opinion about a build or an idea of an worth to be considered no matter if it is voiced by an Adventurer or HeadDesigner.

You are right that decicions about builds are organized in a hierachical system. In the end the Forman, Designer, Project Leader or Head Designer has the last word, that's their task and they are responsible for the results.

But if they want to do a good job they better listen to the builders and consider their ideas. An opinion about a build or an idea of an worth to be considered no matter if it is voiced by an Adventurer or HeadDesigner.
Then how can you say it isn't a hierarchy?

Also as a side note, if the Designers job is to plan then why do they need World Edit and Voxel? And if everyone is equal then why doesn't Artists, whoms job it is to build the world get access to these tools?
Answer: they arent trusted enough to use such tools, Designers are.

Designers job is to plan then why do they need World Edit and Voxel?
A designer's job is also to make terrain and lead a project. Not just to plan. So, these tools are essential to them.

Also, don't get too off-topic from the original "how to get commoner" please.

Then how can you say it isn't a hierarchy?
My point is that one rank is not in general higher than another one. In a building project there are hierarchical desisions, but only related to this task.
Also as a side note, if the Designers job is to plan then why do they need World Edit and Voxel? And if everyone is equal then why doesn't Artists, whoms job it is to build the world get access to these tools?
Designers need voxel for terraforming. World Edit is mainly used for copy-pasting, this is indeed related to both Artist's and Designer's tasks. World Edit is a potentially very destructive tool and thus trust is a point here (sadly, but you probably remember last week). So access to WE is limited to a few players (Designers) and Artists have to ask them if needed.

Also I might add that it isn't unheard of to have a server crash from a Voxel or WE derp (even accidently by a typo on a radius/area). So we limit who has access for these reasons. If it's a "mild" crash the server can recover/reboot however if it's a "hard" one someone must contact @q220 (like @Finrod_Amandil , @Eriol_Eandur , or myself) to get it back up and running. In real life duties can mean the server might be down for minutes/hours/days.