• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Accepted DarkVargoth

Status
Not open for further replies.

antigonaee

Is going on an adventure!
Credits
XP
My artist application

I joined the server in summer 2015 (I don't know the exact date). I changed my name from 'Flashomatico' to 'DarkVargoth' in 2016.
I made 3 jobs so far under the leading of @Eriol_Eandur. It was little jobs, like building streets, making small streams and river beds and also placing bushes. I also made 2 themed builds so far, 'Carn Dûm' and the 'mordor siege tower'.

Here is the link to my Imgur account, there are pictures of 2 jobs i made, the 2 themed builds and 3 singleplayer builds---> Imgur

The building styles I like building the most are dwarven (I built a version of 'Moria' in Singleplayer, but i had to uninstall minecraft there, so therefore i have no pictures)and mordor (orcish and evil), but also medieval villages (rohirric?). I like building fortresses and castles or space ships like in 'Star Wars', in general i prefer building medieval. Modern style would work probably too, but i think it is not used on this server.

I want to become artist, because i think i'm creative and i know how to set details on buildings or to make them better. I am good at building in general and i have experience with it and in minecraft. I'm also a big fan of 'the lord of the rings' and i'm intrested in the world middleearth and all its creatures. I'm a fan since 2 years now and i watched the 'lotr' and 'th' movies and i've read the 'lotr' books.
I think i would fit in the MCME community. There are cool and nice people, interested in Tolkiens masterpieces and building a whole world and i would like to become a part of it.

Thank you for your application! I would like to give you some tips on what you can do to increase your chances to get accepted.

I already talked to you about your siege tower, so only two reminders: Try to add some more materials to the ground, also some shape details would be nice, holes from catapult stones for example, debris of war....
Also try improve the side walls of the tower. They are quite flat and unstructured.
With your Carn Dûm you did a very good job, many details and good plot organization. Some small issues you could try keep in mind for next build: First some walls are a bit repetitive, try to make more interesting structures. Second you did not spent much attention to the ground. Finrod gave you a prepared basic terrain, but you surely can improve this (some rocks, stone piles, a better road to the main gate...).

When you have new builds add more screenshots to your application above. Make a few of every build to show more details. Please also reply to this thread with something like 'update'. This will make us notice your new screenshots.

Aside from themed builds you can improve your chances to get Artist by helping with >>jobs and plotbuilds<< as you already did. Try to stay very active with jobs. When you finished a task for a Designer, remember to ask the Designer to give points to your application as described >>here<<.

Hey Dark!
Thanks a lot for your application!

On first sight your Carn Dûm build looks incredibly good, but after a closer look I found a few small things I'd like to point out:
  • That diagonal stair/ramp that leads up to the center place/plateau is way too thin and fragile. Such a construction would instantly break apart I guess. Same goes for the two stairs leading up the 2nd wall on the sides of the plot.
  • That Lava = Evil seems to be a really common stereotype when it comes to Middle-Earth ;-) But try to be realistic here, we're very high up in the north, surrounded by snow throughout the year. Lava seems a bit off there ;)
  • You started making the walls look a bit aged using the mossy stone blocks. We have a few other textures in our pack for that: the mossy and the aged (blackish) cobblestone. You could have also used these to make more parts look older.
  • Sometimes you built stony things right ontop of snow (especially outer wall), as you may guess snow doesnt make too good of a foundation ;)
Your build of course is overall very nice, many interesting shapes, well-chosen combinations of blocks and a high degree of details, but these are just a few things you may want to look out for in the future.

I really like your Siege Tower build! Especially the additional war machinery is a very nice addition. I'm a bit unsure what the terrain to the sides of your plot depict; at last the fields of Pelennor are pretty flat. The tower itself is very well structured and detailed, and ofc the trolls are also nicely done.

I'd like you participate in one more TB and show off your skills there. Next up will be the forge of Ost-in-Edhil where you can try to take the points I mentioned about stone thing above by finding a good balance between filigree but still stable structures.

Hello Finrod,
Thanks for your long and detailed reply, i've read it and i see my mistakes in the TB's. I think i know what you mean and i try to build my TB's with more attention in your listed points in the future. Ofcourse i saw that you like my TB's and the style i'm building :)
To the point with the terrain from the siege tower, i wasn't try to build the Pelennor fields, idk maybe just a part of the way to Minas Tirith? :) anyway, I think i get the points you've listed here and ofc i'm still interested to become Artist, so therefore i'll stay active and help with jobs in the future. Be sure to check out my Imgur website (Imgur) to see newest pictures from my TB's and other stuff.
Last but not least, i've built the forge of Ost-In-Edhil. The point is that i've reset the plot to build a new one (in progress) just because i liked to, ofc the pictures of the old one are on my Imgur account. So just to be sure that you know i've built 2 versions of the forge so far :)

Hi Eriol,
It's awesome that you and Finrod gave me such detailed answers, so thank you for that.
Ofc i've read your reply and you gave me some good tips i will try to implement these in the future.
I will stay active and help you and the other designer and sometimes artists, with jobs. I really hope i'll get artist.
But one question, is it ok to post my pictures of the TB's on Imgur or do i have to add them to the application?
Ofc i could do this, but i'm not sure.

Update:
-I did 2 Moria jobs with @Credoo (fixing pillars)
-2 road jobs with @kisos (building roads)
-3 root fixing jobs with @Eriol_Eandur
-1 job at the highmoors with @Ryiw (small streams, bushes, flowers etc.)
-another job at the highmoors with @Finrod_Amandil (placing grass, small streams to the main river)

New TB(s):2 versions of the forge in 'Ost-In-Edhil':
First version:

Second version:

Since you mentioned me in the post I felt the need to respond. You are productive in jobs and your build (as far as I can see) seems oke. However I do want to ask you the following: Do you actually play in those Field of View settings? Its a bit hard for me to actually look at those screenshots without straining my eyes and getting a headache. Bit of a personal thing so not sure how others think of that but i'd suggest making the screenshots with normal FoV (We are not playing Quake 3 deathmatch, just here to look at how you can build).

Also you might want to learn how to use the spoiler function so the post isn't so long or perhaps upload the images to an Imgur album so it's one window you can scroll through.

Since you mentioned me in the post I felt the need to respond. You are productive in jobs and your build (as far as I can see) seems oke. However I do want to ask you the following: Do you actually play in those Field of View settings? Its a bit hard for me to actually look at those screenshots without straining my eyes and getting a headache. Bit of a personal thing so not sure how others think of that but i'd suggest making the screenshots with normal FoV (We are not playing Quake 3 deathmatch, just here to look at how you can build).

Yes sorry for the high Field Of View settings, i'm used to play with, so it's a little bit weird when i set them down. But you are right, it's not very good on photos and i noticed that also, but there were already uploadet then, so i hope you could see anything:)

Status
Not open for further replies.