• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Accepted didi45's VoxelSniper Badge [V] Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

didi45

Moria Hall Professional
Commoner
Credits
XP
Badge requirements:
  • Be at least Artist or Guide ✔️
  • Have experience in Voxel ✔️
  • Have knowledge in making Terrain ✔️
  • Is responsible and mature enough to use the tool in an effective manner ✔️
Application:
  • When did you join?
  • I joined at July 28th 2017
  • What rank are you currently and approximately how long have you had that rank?
  • Artist, I got promoted to Artist at September 14th 2017
  • How experienced are you in Voxel and making Terrain?
  • Quite skilled id say, I know the commands and I have been using VoxelSniper and making terrain with it and by hand for over two years
  • Will you need instruction in using Voxel once you acquire the badge?
  • Nope
  • Why do you need this badge?
  • I want to help with terraforming, I always loved terraforming and now that Mordor is coming near we have a lot of terrain work to do so I would like to help, never the less Voxel is an extremely useful tool for your tool set
  • What to you is a responsible and mature player?
  • What is a mature player? A mature player in my eyes would be someone (in our case for the server) who thinks of the server in long term and how it can benefit from his works in the near future and not only now and what it can and will do for him or her, A responsible player who gets perms like these should know how to use them and not abuse the perms by doing huge operations and crashing the server or wasting it on things which there is no need for them, a mature player is someone who you can approach if you need something which you feel is important and not just a tell me if this is good, but a player who will tell you how to improve and even help you improve! someone who you are comfortable talking to about serious things and about the server's future and what you should do and what can we all do. Someone who can admit their mistakes or their faults and knows how to give positive feedback.

• How experienced are you in Voxel and making Terrain?
  • Quite skilled id say, I know the commands and I have been using VoxelSniper and making terrain with it and by hand for over two years
  • Will you need instruction in using Voxel once you acquire the badge?
  • Nope

Can I see a portfolio? What areas do you plan on working in?

I plan on finishing up belfelas/helping and helping with the terrain of Mordor, I shall send a portfolio later

Any progress? If you need help I recommend BuildCon 2017 Terrain Masterclass Video

After long thoughts with myself, I have decided that I will in fact get back to my voxel sniper application so expect updates

As suggested by @ooitsbirdo I made a ravine on Builders Refuge:

Update!
I want to have the Voxel sniper badge for planning In Moria, seeing as Despot will not longer be planning and the new planning team will be of Moria builders I want to be part of it, and I was suggested that having Voxel Sniper perms is very very useful for planning in Moria.

The hillsiddes are very uniform. You should try to add details of various size (rocks, cliffs, ravines, fissures, cracks...) I'd use alternating melt and blend ball brush with decreasing brush size.

Your materials are looking very random. There are mainly single blocks which doesn't look realistic. I believe you used splatter ball brush for adding materials. If you do so use growth parameter with several recursions like /b sb cm s500 g3000 r8
For more control blob brush is better like /b blob cm g2000 (with /b 10).

Also try to think about vegetation the hillsides don't seem too steep for plants. Your bushes looks a bit like hedges :p

Is this a stream down in the ravine? If so you should make the water flowing down an inclination and the ravine should be less straight.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment! I will take it into mind!
The thing is that I do not think Vegetation is so needed as I want to use the Voxel in Moria but I shall do that aswell!
I did use the melt command (Love it) the blocks I used were really inspired by that image but I will take that into mind.

While I am at it, are you suggesting me to edit the current project or to start a new one?

The feeling in the ravine on the picture is very different from your ravine. You need to make your ravine much more narrow. Try to make people feel boxed in.

So you should make rocky cliffs instead of smooth hillsides. Also you need much more vegetation (especially trees) on the cliffs. The stream is quite narrow (4-5 m) and running quickly. For the the bottom of the ravine I'd suggest an inclination of about 1 block per ten blocks.

Probably a new project would be easier.

New Project (Ravine based on the image from earlier but with changes) Using Eriol's suggestions!

Hope you enjoy (Do forgive me for color screw ups if there are any, I am color blind so it is hard to tell between some of the colors :p)

Mossy cobblestone? That's a weird material for cliffs. Also the granite texture is meant to be loose coarse gravel.
Stream and cliff shapes are still very uniform. And what about vegetation?

The moss is only in the lower part, you can see in the pic it has the same thing. I am not sure what you mean by Uniform? No vegetation because as I said I want this badge for Moria use and there is no vegetation there. And I had no idea it is meant to be gravel, looks to me like a dark stone block

The moss is only in the lower part, you can see in the pic it has the same thing. I am not sure what you mean by Uniform? No vegetation because as I said I want this badge for Moria use and there is no vegetation there. And I had no idea it is meant to be gravel, looks to me like a dark stone block
So as a non builder the main bits I noticed where in regards to the shape, the floor looks quite flat, similar to what you would expect from a canal and the walls are also for the most part fairly straight up rather than all being at different widths, going up at different angles etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.