• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Dol Amroth

Status
Not open for further replies.
~ |Dol Amroth| ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Project Leader:
Thijs1801
Leaders hand:
Eriol_Eandur

~~~~~~~~~~
Project Staff:
Kjolsen
Thomas
Patrick
BWOT (not officially but should be)
LATEST UPDATE:

All work in Middle Town and Cliff Town will come to a halt until the houses are completed in Gate Town and Port Town and then are put to a high enough standard where we can move on.
And porttown has to be unlagged, lindo can take care of that ;)

And porttown has to be unlagged, lindo can take care of that ;)
Yes, it does need to be un-lagged. However, he can't start cause it's so bad. So here are some pointers for interior detailing which doesn't involve creating a very laggy environment. I mean i don't agree with no itemblocks because at the moment they provide great detail. However, there is a balance so follow this guide to make lag free houses:

-Stairs on the side in houses don't need sides (retextured trapdoors) They are good for balacanies and some other special uses but we don't need them everywhere.
-Doors instead of shutters: the new shutter you can get by using f are great however, they are supremely laggy, don't use them without perms
-Windows; there are awesome but think Can these lower windows (or attic) be replaced with fence or iron fence to prevent as much lag?
-Do I really need that itemblock cup/whatever else or is there a perfectly good one in the /inv head which can be used.
-Do I need curtains on every window?: the answer is no :p
-Why am I using seventeen barrels of items which I can just use the crates and other blocks?
-Do I need a line of clothes streching nine blocks wide?: the answer is also no by the way ;)
Do the forks, plate and everything have to be left on the table?

Well these are questions to ask yourself so you can reduce the lag effect while building. Good luck all.

Just want to mention that the grey window panes are NOT item frames.The coloured glass panes are item frames and intended for special buildings like an inn only.

Just want to mention that the grey window panes are NOT item frames.The coloured glass panes are item frames and intended for special buildings like an inn only.
Yes I agree with this post but the blue glass also looks nice in regular buildings, however until this is fixed Eriol is correct, please use grey-normal glass- iron grates or wooden fences for windows in common buildings unless specified else or if its a nicer/moreimportant building.

Also, some of the trapdoor based side-blocks aren't itemblocks either. Most of them are but some aren't so check if the block you want to use says ITEMBLOCK or not. If it doesn't it's fine to use. And this goes for all of the new blocks ofcourse. If it doesn't say ITEMBLOCK it's ok to use.

Also, some of the trapdoor based side-blocks aren't itemblocks either. Most of them are but some aren't so check if the block you want to use says ITEMBLOCK or not. If it doesn't it's fine to use. And this goes for all of the new blocks ofcourse. If it doesn't say ITEMBLOCK it's ok to use.
However they are still laggy

However they are still laggy
Not laggier than other quite common blocks such as droppers, dispensors, furnaces, chests, pumpkins, glowstone blocks, glass panes, glass blocks, leaves and water. Meny of the above actually causes far more lag than trapdoors do.

If you are removing the trapdoors to reduce lag you should first remove all of the flowing water in te sewers which is causing far more (but still negligible) amounts of lag.

From what I've seen so far, only item blocks are problematic. The bigger the number the more load they put on your CPU, which then leads to lower frame rate becuase you graphics card is constantly waiting for your CPU. Since I've bought Minecraft back in 2010, I think DA is the first "laggy" city I ever experienced so far anywhere on any server I ever played on. There were some laggy spawns I remember on other servers but nowhere near DA.

Also Eriol mentioned there will be rp update soon, so It's better to wait untill then before we start cleaning up. But yeah, like BWOT said, we must be carefull which blocks we use now. We could use those extra textures when we also get more "normal" blocks in the future.

My cpu for example, can handle maybe around 100-200 entities. At 200 it's pretty much overloaded 99% an annoyingly noisy, especilly now during the summer.

Last edited:
Yes @Finrod_Amandil and I still have some ideas to reduce the amount of item blocks. Working on the rp. By far the most used item block is the birch plank trap door. I think we will be able to move it to a normal half door block.
Another idea is to use mob spawner blocks. They cause lag too, but less than armor stands we use for item blocks currently.
But using item blocks with care will still be important.

Dol Amroth Islands Plotbuild

I started a plotbuild to shape the islands west of the Dol Amroth Peninsula.
upload_2017-9-2_11-25-43.png
It's again a private plotbuild so if you want to do an island you have to either speak to @Daddlio or me in game or discord.
The plotbuild is private as it needs some experience with terraforming:
  • The upper side of the large islands should be smooth like the terrain of the Dol Amroth Peninsular.
  • The cliffs in contrast should be very irregular and ragged with many single block structures.
For example please use the cliffs of the peninsula and also have a look at the example plot (blue border. At the lower side of the cliffs I added a small platform around each island, please don't change these. Also don't use other materials than sand.
full

Eriol are all the islands going to be uninhabited or undeveloped? Or are there actually going to be some like fisherman's huts and nets and stuff

Can I also just say I need artists to work on Port Town first then Cliff Town, sorry Pat but I'm tired of this town and I want it done and I can't keep on having all the artists work in Cliff Town.
Things that can be done:
-Interiors, check them if they have anything but blue over them (blue means done)
-Exterior detailing, yeah make it fancy, stalls, fountains, trees, gardens, leaves I don't care, make it look good, lanterns
-The markets in front of the port -with out a million entities
-Sewer Pipes marked by orange dots
-Reducing lag idc either how you do it, but just make sure it still looks good and detailed.
Do this before you do Cliff Town, cause regarding the very important message it should not really be worked on yet. But at this moment I see 5 people in it and after many times trying to move them, I give up cause nobody listens. I mean if another foreman wants to run a job there that would be great. So shout out to artists and foremen. Get Pt done and I will be happy.

Can I also just say I need artists to work on Port Town first then Cliff Town, sorry Pat but I'm tired of this town and I want it done and I can't keep on having all the artists work in Cliff Town.
Things that can be done:
-Interiors, check them if they have anything but blue over them (blue means done)
-Exterior detailing, yeah make it fancy, stalls, fountains, trees, gardens, leaves I don't care, make it look good, lanterns
-The markets in front of the port -with out a million entities
-Sewer Pipes marked by orange dots
-Reducing lag idc either how you do it, but just make sure it still looks good and detailed.
Do this before you do Cliff Town, cause regarding the very important message it should not really be worked on yet. But at this moment I see 5 people in it and after many times trying to move them, I give up cause nobody listens. I mean if another foreman wants to run a job there that would be great. So shout out to artists and foremen. Get Pt done and I will be happy.
I'm not an artist, but i'll help :)

Also, let me say that colorcodes have changed: green is now done.
(Information can be found on the small bord flyin arround)

And whilst reducin lag, note that curtains r used frenquently and they r now completely forbidden so all of them should be removed.

A lot of progress at the coastline of Dol Amroth. Some players smoothed islands and shaped cliffs, thanks to @Merlinc01, @barteldvn, @Robz and @Lindolas (did I forget someone?). I a lot of time voxelling the rubble at the coastline and the seafloor. It's still a bit to go, but I start to believe we can do it.
full

Status
Not open for further replies.