• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Dol Amroth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only now noticed that the floor of the dry docks of New Town are ABOVE sea level. That seems quite pointless to me :p
Could be that they roll the ship down on logs once it's finished? Huh, for all my nautical knowledge I actually don't know how dry docks works.

300px-Pizarroshipbuilding.jpg

The drydocks I made are semi-above water level, there is a portion which is yes is above and a portion which is beneath and can be filled when the gates open. Ryt is right, they made the ships usually on land and when there would assemble the full skeleton on the "rollers" so that it could be rolled down to the water. Sometimes there wasn't any portion of the dry dock / shipwright which was below the sea level. So, they are anything but pointless ;)

The one problem I see is that the dry docks would be practically useless for repairing a ship, as it would be much harder to get ships up from sea level, (which is a given), than it would be if it were below sea level, (also a given). I would think that they would make them so that the dry docks could serve the dual role of repairing as well as making the ship, rather than just being able to make the ship in the dry dock. Of course, if the dry dock were just used for making ships, this would make perfect sense using the method that Ryt brought up. However, as I previously stated, I think they would make them dual purpose so that they are working smarter, (making dual purpose dry docks), rather than harder, (making double the amount of dry docks, with half being for building, and half for repairing.)

Well as I said the dry dock is not completely out of the water, if the gates were opened the water would go to about half way, this would probs be enough to make repairs.

However, looking at what I now believe to be the dry docks, I see something else. Oak stairs.

Due to the fact that the surrounding area is made out of stone, I would expect stone stairs, as you will see in the picture (you can also tell from sketches of the Charlestown Navy Yard dry docks made in the early 1800s that they carved stone steps out of the surrounding rock.)

The stone stairs would also require less maintenance, like having to gradually replace the rotting wood (I know it doesn't happen quickly, but it still would happen. The process would also be slightly sped up due to the fact that is in a shaded area all of the time.) This would also be a much more stable structure, as you would have many thousands of gallons (or litres for you crazy people that use the metric system;)) crashing down into the stairs. This would most likely make the stairs get pushed into the wall and fall apart, which would result in more work than having stone stairs that are a part of the surrounding rock, therefore being much more solid.

Also, looking at the wooden stairs, they have do not have supports to hold them up from the bottom (except at the very end), but they are built right next to the wall. This could mean two things: Either A.) The stairs are built into the stone wall, or
B.) The stairs aren't affected by gravity (which probably isn't the case ;) )

I also know I probably shouldn't really care about the fact that the stairs are wood and not stone.
I actually don't really care-I just have nothing else to do :p
navy yard.jpg

At the current docks in Dol Amroth the doors are completely pointless. The floor direcly behind the doors is NOT lower than water level. So if you open the doors it will not flow in at all.

It's right that most ships were made on land, not in dry docks. Dry docks are for repairs or ships that are not sturdy enough to stand the rolling down into water.
What use would a dry dock with is only half below water level have. With the water flowing in only half the way you can't bring a ship in and close the door! You would need to pull up the ship which is very hard.
And if you would decide to build some mechanics to pull up a ship you can pull it up all the way out of the water without much extra construction efford (you would just need longer ropes). In this case why do the additional (quite large) efford to build gates.

Last edited:
I like the idea of an underground criminal town in the sewers. Maybe have it beneath one of the more dodgy areas of the city though and not right bellow the entrance to rich town like in Eaglz' version.

Status
Not open for further replies.