• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Under review Dynmap Warp Icons

NelmanBlack

Guide
Guide
Supporter
Credits
XP
In my research for the MCME wiki I saw that the Westeroscarft Dynmap has seperate icons relating to regions and locations. Making the entire map look a bit cleaner and adds character in relation to the Game of Thrones Series. Similarly we could add banners in relation to what region each location is in. But this has definite issues...

For use on our map it would be nice but due to the fact that we have a tonne more markers than the other maps do which:​
  1. Allows for there map to has only region specific warps listed and altered without changing 287 seperate warps like we potentially would have to.
  2. Is half of the reason we have the ugly bright green flags, is to been visible.

As I said without changing close to 300 flags the limit would fall to each region, and keeping singular location warps (or lesser known/used warps) as the green flags, but we don't exactly have a clean and organised Dynmap (without even considering half the names being wrong or WIP).

Would be interesting to see and change flags to Gondorian Banners but with the number of seperate flags we have without changing the Dynmap in some way may be more confusing.​

I definitely think the Dynamp could be cleaned up a bit. There is also the option of making some markers invisible on the dynmap. I also think we could change them from green flags to something else. But all that is beside the point. I strongly support the idea of custom place markers. I think they would only be needed for the most iconic places so they stand out a bit. I also think they don't have to be too elaborate.

I made a quick oversimplified concept on my phone:
Screenshot_20210802-094213_Pixel Studio.jpg

I think something along these lines could work pretty well.

I'm not sure if MyWarp plugin allows to assign icons to individual warps. Maybe someone should check that first. I had a quick look, but didn't find anything: Home · MyWarp/MyWarp Wiki

I was mainly going off what I had seen on the Westeroscraft Dynmap but had a look and saw that there is the Marker Icon ID in the Dynmap Integration of the Bukkit pulgin (not entirely sure if that is linked to the MyWarp system) which allows for either the standard icons, that come with the Dynmap plugin, or our own PNG's.

Atleast from what I can tell under the Marker and Marker Icon sections the to addition should be quite simple but that is if that is indeed linked to what we use.

I feel it would be nice to make our own Minecrafted versions of the banners for each region depending on how far down the chain we intend to break regions down (Gondor - into its multiple participles). In my thought processes for the wiki and brandin I have been going on a bit bout whether the stuff we are using is 100% made by MCME and then expandi9ng on the IP of MCME, with say, a Shire region banner etc. to add some more depth and detail to the map/world/server.​

I'd just seen Toti's message too and I hadn't even thought of using a image of the city or iconic location, since I have been primarily been thinking about regions but that could definitely break up the map. From the side of simple markers I feel the banners work and cities may become a bit confusing or unrecognizable depending on how big the marker and image is. The ref you made reminds me of the markers that World Anvil have but they are already a bit lacking evenwhen they are not pixalated.

1627888780307.png

Hiding map markers to allow for a region, or main location specific warp (similar to what WC has on their map) allowing for a cleaner map and an easier region display to read, but whether that confuses people to what markers are not shown in a small unknown village far from the centre of a region or city.

I haven't been throw the depths of the plugin but there are a few things that we could possibly do in contrast to whatever pros and cons we come up with for each.

As I understand it the Marker ID in the Dynmap Integration section allows to change the global icon but not markers of individual warps.
Also I can't find any commands that would suport configuration of individual warp makers.
Same for regions. As far as I can see all MyWarp markers are placed in the same dynmap layer, so you can't make specific warps invisible at the dynmap.

Dynmap plugin has a great API for markers, so what you suggest is probably possible using the dynmap API. But it would require making a new Warp plugin or finding some plugin that supports these features.

I'm going to mention again, since the put so much thought and effort into there graphic design, Westeroscarft.

Mershy and I were discussing the use of layers to display the Fellowship Path (like the roads they have on there map) and the ability to clean up the map showing only the main warps instead of all the random and not relevant warp flags we may have on our map. In addition to just outlining which locations are not built yet with not showing the warp or having a seperate icon, as well as a build being under construction. Finally having each location either a seperate icon for the region it is in or just the type of building, or only saving it for the main buildings (Minas Tirith, Rivendell, Bag End) to have a seperate icon with the lesser builds just having a general icon like the green flag but less jarring.

In the attempt to not repeat stuff we have already said.....

Last edited: