• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Full Middle-earth armory using data values?

ryttyr

One Of Us, One of Us
Supporter
Credits
XP
The title says it all really. I was thinking, would it be possible to use data values or damage values or whatever to make all kinds of weapons and armors available in all resource packs?

Since this is a buildserver weapon and armor deterioration wouldn't be a problem because they aren't usually used for combat anyways. So I was thinking that, for instance; instead of having one armor for each of the major factions by using different armor types we could use armors with different data values and thus have tons of different armors for each faction as well as armors for factions that we currently don't have any armors for. The same goes for weapons and tools. We could have the current textures being that of the base value and then have the new ones be the different data values.

The reason I bring this up is because I find it a bit limiting to only be able to decorate armorstands with only one of five very iconic faction armors. What if the owner of the armor is a lord of his own faction or if he is just a simple town guard for a small village? They wouldn't use the armor of a different faction or full on plate-mail respectively. There could also be lighter as well as fancier versions of the current armors as well, like scout armors and royal armors. It would also stop the armor of whatever faction you're wearing to turn into dwarven armor whenever you enter Moria (for roleplay purposes).

The same goes for weapons too. Instead of having the most iconic weapon from each faction there could be variations. Like for instance; the bow could be both a regular bow, an elven bow, an orch bow and a dwarven crossbow at once and swords could be anything from clubs, staves and knives to longswords, warhammers and pikes; all ow which could have different appearances for each faction as well. Even tools could be made to look faction specific. For instance, where a human might use a woodcutter's axe an orc would use an orcish axe and a dwarf migh use a great dwarven axe or why not use a saw?

These are all just ideas for a concept though. I have no idea how or even if it could be implemented practically or not. It's just an idea I had that I felt like sharing with you all.

Last edited:
For weapons and tools this is already implemented in Architect plugin. There is a custom item inventory similar to the custom block inventory we are using for new Gondor pack. All that is needed are the textures :p
Gondor calls for items!
When I wrote this I was thinking about house interiors mainly but ofc you can hold the items in hand too. There are about 4000 possibilities for items.

For armors it is not possible as far as I know. I tried last year but failed. You can use item durability to change the texture of the armor in inventory and held in hand. But the texture of an armor you wear is not affected by durability :(

For weapons and tools this is already implemented in Architect plugin. There is a custom item inventory similar to the custom block inventory we are using for new Gondor pack. All that is needed are the textures :p
Gondor calls for items!
When I wrote this I was thinking about house interiors mainly but ofc you can hold the items in hand too. There are about 4000 possibilities for items.
Neat. I thought the new Gondor RP was complete but I guess not. I might be good at editing textures but I lack the skill, time and patience required to make them from scratch. Sorry.
Oh wait... that means that even if someone made cool new textures for weapons and tools for every faction it would still only be available in the regions using the new kind of recoursepack which at the moment only includes Dol Amroth.

For armors it is not possible as far as I know. I tried last year but failed. You can use item durability to change the texture of the armor in inventory and held in hand. But the texture of an armor you wear is not affected by durability :(
Oh... dang it. That's what I wanted the most. Why does Minecraft have to be so cruel sometimes? Oh well...
The only solution that I can think of then would be to mod more armors into the game which I guess isn't really an option.