• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Guide Roles and Requirements

spike010

Worthy of Mordor
Credits
XP
I recently applied for Ranger as I don't have the skills for an Artist. I am not entirely sure what are the exact role of a Ranger. I already know that they hold tours and help new players. I would also like to know the requirements. I already am aware that one of the requirements is a good knowledge in Tolkien lore.
It would be nice if some Rangers could reply (@SugarKoala is the only Ranger I know :confused:)

Hey there spike! I'm glad I get thought of! Other rangers are @kyzcool @jakethegardian, @DarthRagnar, @Fornad, and @Indorilian.

Apart from the ability to hold tours and help new players, and knowing about both the lore and the map, one of the main parts of being a ranger is definitely being incredibly active on both the forums and TeamSpeak. The ranger rank is one that people get promoted into when more are necessary, for example if we had a large influx of new people. Now what I'm saying isn't necessarily true but is a rough guidance of at least how I personally feel the rank works in terms of promotions and how.

I'm sure the others that I've tagged can help by adding more and feel free to question me on this.

Would I be considered too young to be a Ranger; I am only 13 and don't turn 14 'till the end of the year.

Age doesn't really matter because we are of all ages. What truly matters is your maturity and friendliness. Also, another thing you should know is you should at least have an idea on how the server works (ranks, duties, etc.)

It's not so much about age as it is maturity. If you show you can be dependable and consistent you are on the right track. Shen beat me to it! Lol

I am mature and friendly (in my opinion), so that is fine. The only problem is that I am hardly ever on Teamspeak. I would be fine holding a tour. I am regularly on the forums, but I have limited access to the server due to school. I am doing Year 8 and 9 in one year (it is a program at my school), my homework load is massive; I need to do a years worth of work in one term. Here is my application:
http://www.mcmiddleearth.com/threads/ranger-spike010.109/
It would be nice if you guys could give me some feedback...

So to sum it all up:
Friendliness - You should be friendly to other players. Welcome new players to the server and show them the ropes.
Open to Growth - You should always take advice from other players and seek to improve your Ranger experience.
Some Knowledge of Tolkien's Universe - You are obviously going to be doing tours as a Ranger, but that doesn't mean you need to pile on the lore books. As long as you know you can handle yourself in lore, you're good.
Some Knowledge of the Server - Know how the server works. What I mean by that is know the requirements for ranks and what duties and responsibilities each rank has, should a new player ask about it.

I think that's all, off the top of my head.

Really, in my opinion, its not about "covering all areas" or striving for a rank, especially for ranger, but rather proving to the community that you are an extremely trustworthy player who should be given the responsibility of helping others and new players in introducing them to the community. The ranger rank really is a representation of MCME :p

Really, in my opinion, its not about "covering all areas" or striving for a rank, especially for ranger, but rather proving to the community that you are an extremely trustworthy player who should be given the responsibility of helping others and new players in introducing them to the community. The ranger rank really is a representation of MCME :p
It's true. The attributes I listed above aren't "areas you have to cover", rather they're the attributes of a trustworthy player who should be given the responsibility of helping others and new players.

So pretty much, I need to be a trustworthy player on the server.
Again, personally, I dont think "being trustworthy" is something to strive for. Much of the time it is innate, something you either are, or are not as I would not suggest putting on a mask of trust and fake helpfulness just to get a rank on a minecraft server as its not worth it. Especially on a server not about the individual rank. The rank will find you if you fit the rank, its how it goes.

Ok...this is starting to confuse me :confused:...
Am I correct here?
A Ranger is someone who helps new people by being friendly towards them and by knowing how the server works. They are, and alway have been well known people on the server, forum and Teamspeak.

Could I call them kind of the bond between the workings of the server and the 'common' people?

Active player would also be advised. I don't see you a lot in teamspeak and getting to know everybody gives you a lot of opportunities. I wouldn't be staff if it wasn't for teamspeak. Get on it and don't be afraid to talk and say something.

Ranger in my eyes, is more like that friendly dude(tte) that hangs around a lot and helps the newbies find the ropes. Sort of like tito from rocket power on nickelodeon. He's friendly, can give help and knows where everything is whether it is a location on our map or a guide on the forums. He can also guide people around and that's where teamspeak comes in, most guides don't want to typ that all out. Having teamspeak gives you the opportunity to be a bit more noticed as voice chat is a bit more noticeable than chat and to talk through the lengthy explanations. Like tito, you also know how to surf a bit and doesn't need the rank ranger to help a person. Most rangers get promoted because they already are a sort of ranger or have all the characteristics of one.
Knowing staff and staff knowing you also helps a lot, since we need to be able to put trust in you as you gain a bit or responsibility. To be honest, now I don't really know you or have met you as I know the other rangers or the majority of the active commoners. (again teamspeak helps, just getting to know each other).
For example:
Fornad has been online longer than most, he knows his lore, he knows the server, he can do some graphic design, he is somebody who takes initiative to start fun things like tours or videos and everyone knows he's a nice dude.
SugarKoala is a very nice person and will help you untill her hair falls out. She is very active and knows most of the time what's going on on mcme, so whenever you want to know something you can ask her and she'll respond in her ever friendly voice.
Darthragnar is a rock, he's always there and dependable and he'll drop whatever he's doing to help you out or give a tour. He's not the most talkative but every time I log in I can see darth helping another droog. He doesn't make drama and has been around for quite some time.
Indo is the same, he'll work to get his lore in order and will give a tour even if all odds are against it. He's fun to hang around with and doesn't cause any problems or confusions. And again, he's active whenever he can.
Kyz, he's always working harder and harder to be a better ranger. He will do whatever his friends ask as a favour and will help even the most annoying droog on the server. He's not a quitter, cause it took quite a while for him to get his rank but he still got it. Even if he's not that fluent in this or that task he'll try it anyway and give it his best.
If jake sees someone being sad or helpless, he'll take of his super-awesome-canadian-tough-guy's-hockey-mask and will help whatever you need.

Seeing these examples might give you a better idea of what a ranger has under his belt as characteristics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Active player would also be advised. I don't see you a lot in teamspeak and getting to know everybody gives you a lot of opportunities. I wouldn't be staff if it wasn't for teamspeak. Get on it and don't be afraid to talk and say something.

Ranger in my eyes, is more like that friendly dude(tte) that hangs around a lot and helps the newbies find the ropes. Sort of like tito from rocket power on nickelodeon. He's friendly, can give help and knows where everything is whether it is a location on our map or a guide on the forums. He can also guide people around and that's where teamspeak comes in, most guides don't want to typ that all out. Having teamspeak gives you the opportunity to be a bit more noticed as voice chat is a bit more noticeable than chat and to talk through the lengthy explanations. Like tito, you also know how to surf a bit and doesn't need the rank ranger to help a person. Most rangers get promoted because they already are a sort of ranger or have all the characteristics of one.
Knowing staff and staff knowing you also helps a lot, since we need to be able to put trust in you as you gain a bit or responsibility. To be honest, now I don't really know you or have met you as I know the other rangers or the majority of the active commoners. (again teamspeak helps, just getting to know each other).
For example:
Fornad has been online longer than most, he knows his lore, he knows the server, he can do some graphic design, he is somebody who takes initiative to start fun things like tours or videos and everyone knows he's a nice dude.
SugarKoala is a very nice person and will help you untill her hair falls out. She is very active and knows most of the time what's going on on mcme, so whenever you want to know something you can ask her and she'll respond in her ever friendly voice.
Darthragnar is a rock, he's always there and dependable and he'll drop whatever he's doing to help you out or give a tour. He's not the most talkative but every time I log in I can see darth helping another droog. He doesn't make drama and has been around for quite some time.
Indo is the same, he'll work to get his lore in order and will give a tour even if all odds are against it. He's fun to hang around with and doesn't cause any problems or confusions. And again, he's active whenever he can.
Kyz, he's always working harder and harder to be a better ranger. He will do whatever his friends ask as a favour and will help even the most annoying droog on the server. He's not a quitter, cause it took quite a while for him to get his rank but he still got it. Even if he's not that fluent in this or that task he'll try it anyway and give it his best.
If jake sees someone being sad or helpless, he'll take of his super-awesome-canadian-tough-guy's-hockey-mask and will help whatever you need.

Seeing these examples might give you a better idea of what a ranger has under his belt as characteristics.
oh__stop_it__you__by_rober_raik-d4cwd9f.png

It's really no problem at all! If you have any other questions related to anything at all really, feel free to send me a message and I'll be happy to help! I'm sure the same can be said with the others c:

Allo,
When applying for Ranger something important to keep in mind is that you don't need to be a Lore god, I'm well known within the community for having a strong knowledge of Lore but when I was first promoted way back in early 2012 (Marchish) my Lore was fairly common. I learnt a lot and expanded my knowledge as a Ranger, partaking in others tours and consolidating my knowledge by feeding it back to others. There's also been several rangers who even in their very late days were not/ are not proficient in Lore.

A strong example I like to use is Cef. Cef somewhat famously knows an average amount of Lore, but despite this has has proven himself to be a very strong ranger for his expanse knowledge of the server, Cef knows things that even someone people who were there don't remember. What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to be the most Knowledgable person to be a Strong ranger, you can be proficient in your own ways.

In terms of activity as most have mentioned, as a Ranger of a Bounder, it's very important to be around in TeamSpeak and the MC servers. People rely on Rangers for support and information, and if you're not around, you cant help people. If you want to achieve any rank above Artist, I would strongly advise being "around" in TeamSpeak.

Age, I think Age is a factor that is taken into account to some extent, but there's a Threshhold, if there was a 6 year old witht he Maturity of Morgan Freeman on the sever, I don't think he'd get Ranger. But 14 is certainly over the threshhold. I was 14 when I was promoted to Ranger, and I think Cef had just turned 15 a few months before. The Youngest person to get Staff was I believe 14, maybe late 13. But I'm not going to say their name here as they may want to remain anonymous.

As a previous ranger of a Year and a Half, I looked forward to seeing new recruits that are determined and Enthusiastic about the rank, something to keep in mind though, if you want Ranger for the sake of having a rank, Ranger isn't the rank for you. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing you around.

-Jord