• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Inconsistencies between the buildserver and the books

And the terrain is chalkstone; the Willywitthel spring was near Bombadil's house and it was described as a bubbling milk stream.

One more inconsistency I've found whilst reading the book is that in the book when being led through Lothlorien by the Galadhrim Frodo and co are shown Cerin Amroth by Haldir who even takes Frodo and Sam all the way up to the top. Whilst on the server the path goes straight past Cerin Amroth without stopping. Also, on the server the path keeps following the road whilst in the book they continue through thickets in the dark and reaches Caras Galadhon from the north where they walk along a paved road along the west side of the city until they reach the city gates in the south.
One other thing is that the path never leaves the road to go to the flets where the company spends the night hiding from the orcs of Moria.

I'll make a map like I did for the Barrow Downs as soon as I get access to my PC again.

Last edited:
Hmm it has been a while since I put the footprints down in Loth but if I recall correctly I did choose a flet to be the one from the books and added footprints to it, and I am also fairly sure that I remembered to add the detour to Cerin Amroth

Hmm it has been a while since I put the footprints down in Loth but if I recall correctly I did choose a flet to be the one from the books and added footprints to it, and I am also fairly sure that I remembered to add the detour to Cerin Amroth
I found the flet they slept in. The reason I missed it was because I didn't start looking for it until after I had crossed the Nimrodel as it was soon after they crossed the river that they left the road to seek shelter in the book but on the server that flet is located a while before the Nimrodel. Also I didn't look for a second flet on the server but in the book they sleep on two different flets, one for the hobbits and a coupple galadhrim and another for the rest of the company and assumingly some more galadhrim a little further in.

And I can assure you that the current path on the server passes by Ceren Amroth and does not go up to it.

I'm in the progress of making a map but due to all the trees it's really hard to map it out.

Last edited:
I feel like we should, at some point, read through the entire lotr saga and go over all the places described in the book and make sure our builds are as accurate as can be. I'm not talking about big revamps, just small touch-ups where needed. Like making sure some builds looks more like how they're described in the book (like adding a bunch of candles to Bombadil's house for instance), making sure the path of the fellowship is correct, adding small locations that we might have missed (like campsites and the like) and making sure the nature described in the book is presented on the server (for instance when leaving Lothlorien the forest continues for a bit along the river but on the server it's just a line of trees along the river's west bank).

Last edited:
If your speaking on campsites established by the company on the way, that is incongruous to the server being set on a singular time frame. Everything is built as the world is at that time (the night of Bilbo's birthday disappearance correct?) so not to have build like Isengard confusing as it changes considerably over time.

Regardless, no doubt some of the areas you discuss will be changing in the future regardless as different pieces of the map are brought to the current build depth and skill level. perhaps if they are small enough they could be corrected through the Report Derp/Bug Thread. If it is bigger than that, but not a complete revamp, you could speak with a designer about jobbing it. The Lothlorian forest thing in particular might be a good candidate after Summer Events dies down and commoners start pining for work to do again.

I feel like we should, at some point, read through the entire lotr saga and go over all the places described in the book and make sure our builds are as accurate as can be. I'm not talking about big revamps, just small touch-ups where needed. Like making sure some builds looks more like how they're described in the book (like adding a bunch of candles to Bombadil's house for instance), making sure the path of the fellowship is correct, adding small locations that we might have missed (like campsites and the like) and making sure the nature described in the book is presented on the server (for instance when leaving Lothlorien the forest continues for a bitbalomg the river but on the server it's just a line of trees alongbthe river's west bank).
Sooo does this mean #mcmerevamp make lore great again, make minas tirith outer gate black, make arnor more ruined, make borrowdowns more barrony, make osgo again cause its fun, make mordor terrain again cause tyran needs something to do, make helms deep pink, make bag end more bagend like... Im running out of pointless things to say

Sooo does this mean #mcmerevamp make lore great again, make minas tirith outer gate black, make arnor more ruined, make borrowdowns more barrony, make osgo again cause its fun, make mordor terrain again cause tyran needs something to do, make helms deep pink, make bag end more bagend like... Im running out of pointless things to say
Then why say those pointless things?

Actually... why is the grass of Rohan yellowish when it is described as "the best grass in middle earth", "swelling like a green sea" and "They seemed to have left winter clinging to the hills behind [...] as if spring was already stirring and the sap was flowing again in herb and leaf."
That does NOT sound like the dying yellow grass one sees on the server.

Actually... why is the grass of Rohan yellowish when it is described as "the best grass in middle earth", "swelling like a green sea" and "They seemed to have left winter clinging to the hills behind [...] as if spring was already stirring and the sap was flowing again in herb and leaf."
Because a lot of members have only seen the films and this way Rohan is easily differentiated for new players.

One other inconsistency I just found is that Théoden states that the vale between the fords of Isen and Helms Gate was a rich vale with many homesteads before the orc hosts of Isengard burned the land on their way to Helms Deep. Which means that the land should be rich and prosperous for another seventeen years on our server yet there's not a single building between the fords of Isen and Helms Gate on the server.

Also, the banks of the Snowbourn is described as being lined with many reddening willow trees and the banks of the Entwash nerby is described as being reed-choked.

And I think we should add patches of doubble-tall grass here and there in Rohan as it says that "Often the grass was so high that it reached above the knees of the riders and their steeds seemed to be swimming in a green sea."

Last edited:
Bilbo's 111th birthday was in August, 3001, T.A., Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli arrive in Rohan on the 27th of February, 3019, T.A. In spring. So of course the grass is greener when the location appears in the storyline, but grass doesn't stay green all year round, and by August, it probably has browned a bit. Most of the wild grasses will have died by that point. For example, most of the prairie grasses in the Great Plains region of America turn brown and die in late August into September. Though to be honest, it probably should be a bit greener,

I agree about the mainly dry grass in September. The colour may be not optimal at them moment. In my experience dry grass is much lighter than the grass in Rohan. If you want to do some experiments with grass colour, the needed file is:

assets\minecraft\textures\colormap\grass.png

Grass here stays green pretty much from spring up to the winter. But if there's a long drought during the summer, short grass might turn light brown.

Last edited:
Grass here stays green pretty much from spring up to the winter. But if there's a long drought during the summer, short grass might turn light brown.
Yes, grass colour at the end of summer depends on the amont of humidity very much. Here in Germany most grass is still green now. But at the place in France where I spend my holidays most grass were dry and pale yellow-greenish looking.
For Rohan, which is far from the sea and sheltered by mountains agains rain clouds from the sea I would expect very dry grass. Maybe a colour like this:
p1010966a.jpg

Yes, grass colour at the end of summer depends on the amont of humidity very much. Here in Germany most grass is still green now. But at the place in France where I spend my holidays most grass were dry and pale yellow-greenish looking.
For Rohan, which is far from the sea and sheltered by mountains agains rain clouds from the sea I would expect very dry grass. Maybe a colour like this:
p1010966a.jpg
Yes. Whilst that would be realistic we know that in the lore it is said to be the best grass in all of middle earth and I feel that, even though it's autumn It does the Rohan grass a great disgrace by having it be such a lifeless yellow as it currently is.