• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Ithilien Texture Request

Fireinferno13

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
Hi guys,

I am posting here because I need some textures for the upcoming project of Ithilien as having some unique vegetation is key to making this terrain have that extra "pop" that makes it stand out from everything else.

According to Thainsbook, the following were common in Ithilien

"It was a land of lush vegetation, much of which had been planted by the Men of Gondor but had grown wild over time. There were groves of ash, bay, cedar, cypress, fir, juniper, myrtle, oak, and olive trees. The ground cover included heather, ferns, moss, and briars. Among the many flowers that bloomed in Ithilien were anemones, celandines, hyacinths, irises, lilies, and wild roses. Herbs such as marjoram, parsley, sage, and thyme grew there as well."

Ground Cover:
  • Heather (got it!)
  • Ferns (got it!)
  • Moss (mossy stone texture?)
  • Briars
Flowers:
  • Anemones
  • Celandines
  • Hyacinths
  • Irisis
  • Lilies
  • Wild Roses (got it!)
Herbs:
  • Marjoram
  • Parsley
  • Sage
  • Thyme
  • Athelas

Would be really interested to see what you guys can come up with! Thanks!

Last edited:
This is what we want to see. =D Thank you for the communication.

What timeframe do we have? It takes me ~1.5hrs to make a texture (not including taking in suggestions after it is finished) and all the free time I have is either on Thursday or Friday.

I will make at least two of the plants on the list for you.

I've been asking for this for a while, but can we get some Athelas for Eriador and Gondor. Though it wasn't used for it's medicinal properties during the war of the ring, it used to be so it was almost certainly present. And Ithilien is one of the places I would expect to find it.

Updated the post with Thainsbook information (more reliable)

This is what we want to see. =D Thank you for the communication.

What timeframe do we have? It takes me ~1.5hrs to make a texture (not including taking in suggestions after it is finished) and all the free time I have is either on Thursday or Friday.

I will make at least two of the plants on the list for you.
Thank you Matt,

There is no "strict" time frame for this. I plan on doing concept designs this weekend but can use place holders instead of the actual plants. Would it be okay to ask for these by not this weekend but next weekend? It would be great to do a flower texture or two and maybe an herb :)
I'll give a go on Irises, according to google they look like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/Iris_reticulata.jpg
Will update if I Fail
Keep us posted
I've been asking for this for a while, but can we get some Athelas for Eriador and Gondor. Though it wasn't used for it's medicinal properties during the war of the ring, it used to be so it was almost certainly present. And Ithilien is one of the places I would expect to find it.
Create another texture request thread :)

Don't mind if I make it look more exotic than in the film, do you? =p
How Exotic exactly do you intend to make it?
Don't forget it was native to Beleriand and Numenor, so that's N. America and Europe sort of climates. Don't go making it look like some crazy plant from the depths of the Amazon forest or anything like that. You don't wanna go to much more exotic than this:
John_Howe_-_Athelas.jpg

How Exotic exactly do you intend to make it?
Don't forget it was native to Beleriand and Numenor, so that's N. America and Europe sort of climates. Don't go making it look like some crazy plant from the depths of the Amazon forest or anything like that. You don't wanna go to much more exotic than this:
John_Howe_-_Athelas.jpg

And that right there is perfect. Thank you for the image - I will work on bringing it close to this design. =D

um, briars are " a common name for a number of unrelated thicket-forming thorny plants", so what colour are looking for on the brown-green scale?

One of the most important textures is going to be the double tall grass, this one is not terribly interesting/creative, but important in that it should match the current grass to a degree

@findekano try to stay away from the edges of the space you have, it makes the shrub look like it's been kept in a box or something square for a while. The green that you are using may not match Gondor Green Also, how do you get that 3d picture of how it would look like in game - I would benefit from something like that as I wouldn't have to go into Minecraft to see the shape of the flower.

This is my update for Athelas.
Things to do and some questions:
  • Add white flowers (I am still designing the shape)
  • Should it be lower and closer to the ground? (Which is pretty simple to do as each leaf and orange stalk is a group in Inkscape which is what I am using to create this texture. I understand that John Howe's painting is viewing the flower at 45 degrees.)
  • Lastly need to edit the colours in GIMP so it matches Gondor Green and then add some grunge to the texture.

Last edited:
are there enough plants to have single- and double-high thickets/briars/thornbushes/etc. ? it could be the same texture.
or could you use voxel or something to just make half of double-high plants?

@MattTheLegoman um, I do all my skins in novaskin and by extension pixlr. you would have to upload them to novaskin with the rest of a texture pack, then saving it in the position you like, then use the imgur link it gives you. For my meat textures, the only image editing I had done up until then was my skin (done through another program).