• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Looking for New Armor Textures!!!

Fireinferno13

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
Introduction:
Many have expressed the interest in having unique armor variants across RPs. Therefore we are opening this up to you, the public, to help us design them! Below I have listed some ideas of variants across RPs (open to changes/suggestions), I really want to encourage everyone to give this a shot! I didn't know I was good at texturing until I tried it either! Don't have a texture editing program? No sweat! Try GIMP for free!

Please try to keep your texturing style as similar as possible to the current armor variants, you can even use those as a base and work from there (which is what I intend to do).

Current Baseline:
Leather - Urukhai
Iron - Gondor Soldier
Chain - Rohirrim Horseman
Gold - Elven Soldier
Diamond - Heavy Dwarven Soldier​

Eriador:
Leather - Town Guard
Iron - ???
Chain - Ranger
Gold - Elven Soldier
Diamond - Dwarven Soldier
Moria:
Leather - Dwarven Travel Armor
Iron - Dwarven Soldier Armor
Chain - Elite Dwarven Guard Armor
Gold - Thorin's Armor Variant
Diamond - Heavy Dwarven Armor
Rohan:
Leather - Armed Peasant
Iron - Urukhai
Gold - Elven Soldier
Diamond - Theoden's Armor Variant?
Gondor:
Leather - Mordor Orc
Iron - Gondor Soldier
Chain - Ithilien Ranger
Gold - Citadel Guardsmen
Diamond - Aragorn's Armor Variant?
Mordor:
Leather - Mordor Orc
Iron - Gondor Soldier
Chain - Morgul Orc
Gold - Elven Soldier
Diamond - Sauron Armor Variant?

Last edited:
What about the armor for the armorstands in the Dead Marshes?
This was just a suggestion. Doesn't mean that this is how it has to be. Problem is, the last alliance was an aliance between both elves and men so we would have to allocate at least two out of the five armors we have to them alone...

I tired to get more amor textures (randomized or not) but I failed :(

Introduction:
Many have expressed the interest in having unique armor variants across RPs. Therefore we are opening this up to you, the public, to help us design them! Below I have listed some ideas of variants across RPs (open to changes/suggestions), I really want to encourage everyone to give this a shot! I didn't know I was good at texturing until I tried it either! Don't have a texture editing program? No sweat! Try GIMP for free!

Please try to keep your texturing style as similar as possible to the current armor variants, you can even use those as a base and work from there (which is what I intend to do).

Current Baseline:
Leather - Urukhai
Iron - Gondor Soldier
Gold - Elven Soldier
Diamond - Heavy Dwarven Soldier​

Eriador:
Leather - Town Guard
Iron - ???
Chain - Ranger
Gold - Elven Soldier
Diamond - Dwarven Soldier
Moria:
Leather - Dwarven Travel Armor
Iron - Dwarven Soldier Armor
Chain - Elite Dwarven Guard Armor
Gold - Thorin's Armor Variant
Diamond - Heavy Dwarven Armor
Rohan:
Leather - Armed Peasant
Iron - Urukhai
Gold - Elven Soldier
Diamond - Theoden's Armor Variant?
Gondor:
Leather - Mordor Orc
Iron - Gondor Soldier
Chain - Ithilien Ranger
Gold - Citadel Guardsmen
Diamond - Aragorn's Armor Variant?
Mordor:
Leather - Mordor Orc
Iron - Gondor Soldier
Chain - Morgul Orc
Gold - Elven Soldier
Diamond - Sauron Armor Variant?
Updated the post. Green is done. Orange is can be easily adjusted from current rp. Purple is we need it.

The new outline both maintains some "order" across resourcepacks while still trying to introduce some variability and uniqueness. It is difficult to have each pack be completely unique given the forces that clashed in each region (ie: the rohirrim joined in the battle of minas tirith). Still open to feedback though if anyone has any suggestions. Would love for people to try some of the purple variants.

How about for Mordor we do:
Leather, orc leather armor (reference)
Iron, orc plate armor (reference)
Chain, Frodo's and/or Sam's "borrowed" armor(s) (reference)
Gold, Haradrim armor (reference1 reference2)
Diamond, Sauron's armor
What about the armor for the armorstands in the Dead Marshes?
After discussing with @Eriol_Eandur , we will need to carve out some slots in the Mordor pack for Gondor and Elven soldiers (who will end up floating in the dead marshes).

Updated the post. Green is done. Orange is can be easily adjusted from current rp. Purple is we need it.

The new outline both maintains some "order" across resourcepacks while still trying to introduce some variability and uniqueness. It is difficult to have each pack be completely unique given the forces that clashed in each region (ie: the rohirrim joined in the battle of minas tirith). Still open to feedback though if anyone has any suggestions. Would love for people to try some of the purple variants.

After discussing with @Eriol_Eandur , we will need to carve out some slots in the Mordor pack for Gondor and Elven soldiers (who will end up floating in the dead marshes).
Why not let the dead marshes have an rp of it's own?

@ScoobyDeezy sent along his original leather ranger armor. I will colorize this texture tonight, as it is currently black and white.

I also plan on working on the Citadel Guard variant of the gondorian soldier armor, and some of the Moria armor for @Despot666
Do you have any tips/tricks for texturing w/ armor? I find it very uncomfortable working on it, because of transparency and ofc you can only guess how it will look as model.

Do you have any tips/tricks for texturing w/ armor? I find it very uncomfortable working on it, because of transparency and ofc you can only guess how it will look as model.
It is very challenging.

The thing I find most helpful is starting with an example. If I was lets say trying to texture a boat, I would first download the default or some other 16bit boat texture as a "base". I obviously do not replicate the texture, but use this to help visualize where all the components go as the minecraft texture layouts are not usually intuitive.

For armor specifically, consider starting with one of the already completed armors and working from there, changing aspects and constantly checking them in game. Sometimes I will start out with a basic layout (no shading just blunt coloring) and test this in game first so I know if everything actually looks how I want it.

Hope this helps!

@ScoobyDeezy sent along his original leather ranger armor. I will colorize this texture tonight, as it is currently black and white.

I also plan on working on the Citadel Guard variant of the gondorian soldier armor, and some of the Moria armor for @Despot666
Done! Here are the results. Feedback is always appreciated.
Y93PCQB.png
Q5H1HPR.png

Texture:
CmDeHhu.png
B2Aw7ZG.png

Icons:
QRxllUR.png
jn8lhXl.png
0BRK2cc.png
3XttZUe.png

Last edited:
It is very challenging.

The thing I find most helpful is starting with an example. If I was lets say trying to texture a boat, I would first download the default or some other 16bit boat texture as a "base". I obviously do not replicate the texture, but use this to help visualize where all the components go as the minecraft texture layouts are not usually intuitive.

For armor specifically, consider starting with one of the already completed armors and working from there, changing aspects and constantly checking them in game. Sometimes I will start out with a basic layout (no shading just blunt coloring) and test this in game first so I know if everything actually looks how I want it.

Hope this helps!
Do you have any tips on shading?

Do you have any tips on shading?
If you have photoshop I recommend the burn tool
I use GIMP because it’s free and I think it’s reallt user friendly. Shading is a tricky thing, not enough and your textures look too simple but too much and they look mushed together. There are a couple ways I tackle this:

1) Use layers! I love putting all of the separate colors and components in separate layers. For example in the ranger texture I placed the cape, leather, straps, and base layer all in separate layers in order to adjust them seperately. This is also nice because I personally love tinkering with the hue/saturation and brightness/contrast settings. These give you an easy way to manipulate your textures without having to do it by hand.

2) Dodge and Burn. I love these tools, they make it super easy to shade the edges or add a bright spot in the armor. I will either use these with a small brush or use one of the messier brush options to randomly apply the tool. This is an easy way to give depth to your texture.

3) Color Variation: another good way of of adding shading to your texture without making it look like mush is adding colors that are slightly different from your base. That way it doesn’t all dodge/burn and blend the same way.

Hope this helped!