• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

"Lothlorien Revamp 2.0"

Volcrest

Aspiring Member
Supporter
Credits
XP
This may have been discussed before, if it has I apologise, but I'm gonna go ahead a make a lengthy post all in vain anyways.

Whenever I'm looking at the Lothlorian trees, I always feel like the yellow leaves should be semi transparent like the other leaves. They are not, as the leaf texture is just a wool block. And imo I dont "feeeeel" like they are leaves. You cant texture a solid block with gaps, as it will just make the gaps white anyways. But then I thought of using a transparent block for the base instead, and made a suggestion where the texture just goes onto a glass block.

And I may be way off base here as I'm not big on the lore and whatnot, and it could be that the canopy is supposed to very thick, and everything is as it should be, and I'm just ignorant.

Anyways, here are some screens of my quick suggestion of how the trees could look like

lA8Zquj.png

wkHqgnI.png

jWe3SOL.png

As shown, you can see through the leaves and into the branches and the houses that would have been there if it was on the server:

lBB7njv.png

N27ThI8.png

The solid canopy, I think, makes it look kinda like the tree is petrified, and not vivid and alive and magical. Which I feel kinda is a big theme for the elven kingdoms. And it would also be cool if the branches were visible through the leaves, and you could see outlines of houses and buildings when standing on the ground.

What I have done is just take the leaf block as it is and erased some parts as to match the see-through-pattern as some of the leaves we already have. This pattern can of course vary in both thickness and density, as well as in colour and saturation to make the canopy look vivid and interesting. As far as I'm aware the full glass blocks have not yet been utilised in that rp, so this is my simple suggestion.

Thanks for reading:)

Okay, one important thing, who gonna go over entire loth to change the leaves and who is going to check it. The one important thing for MCME is that we (though its more they as I am kinda banned atm) have progress. Though it should be something we should keep on the list To do. (Tbh I really like what you did)

Okay, one important thing, who gonna go over entire loth to change the leaves and who is going to check it. The one important thing for MCME is that we (though its more they as I am kinda banned atm) have progress. Though it should be something we should keep on the list To do. (Tbh I really like what you did)
Changing it wouldn't be much of a problem, just grab a giant brush and go over the entire thing with /mask, or select it all and do //replace

Although I myself kinda like it not being transparent, so imo it's not necessary

This may be a good application of the block switcher that @Finrod_Amandil and @Eriol_Eandur are working on for Gondor. On another note, I believe one of the reasons that this has not been done previously is due to the amount of in game lag caused by the semi-transparent leaf blocks versus opaque blocks. For example, compare how mad your computer gets walking through Fangorn (leaves) versus Loth (blocks).

This may be a good application of the block switcher that @Finrod_Amandil and @Eriol_Eandur are working on for Gondor. On another note, I believe one of the reasons that this has not been done previously is due to the amount of in game lag caused by the semi-transparent leaf blocks versus opaque blocks. For example, compare how mad your computer gets walking through Fangorn (leaves) versus Loth (blocks).

Xisumavoid (a youtuber) did some lag testing with stained glass and concluded with it not generating huge ammounts of lag. Lothlorien is of course larger than his sample size but I cannot say for sure if it will lag out everything or not. (at 8 mins 38 secs)

Focus on the new projects like DA and Moria instead of ones long since finished or unofficial ones like the artists mansion

I have been building in Moria, as well as other minor projects and preps for jobs. And I haven't built anything in the Artist Fortress, so spending some time trying to help improve some aspects and brainstorming I feel is fine, really..

I don't think that a place a lot of new members with potentially low end PCs would go is the best place to have lag, they need to be able to enjoy places like this not see a slideshow of them. I mean this in the nicest way possible but no new members want to go to DA because it's not in the films and most just want to see the important landmarks, this also applies to Moria, most of what's been built so far will remain unseen by most because it's not on the fellowships path, which will have to be marked in a way that's easy to follow so new and old members don't get lost, get bored and warp around.

I don't think that a place a lot of new members with potentially low end PCs would go is the best place to have lag, they need to be able to enjoy places like this not see a slideshow of them. I mean this in the nicest way possible but no new members want to go to DA because it's not in the films and most just want to see the important landmarks, this also applies to Moria, most of what's been built so far will remain unseen by most because it's not on the fellowships path, which will have to be marked in a way that's easy to follow so new and old members don't get lost, get bored and warp around.
Fair enough but I still think it's worth a shot. I mean with the server plugins it wouldn't really take too long to implement for a test round

The solid leaves of Lothlorien are bothering me since I started to work there. I even experimented with stained glass retextured as golden leaves almost two years ago. By this it would be possible to bring more light down to the ground which was my main concern back then. I didn't finish it as everyone was tired of working in Lothlorien after 8 months.

I would love to have real transparent leaves as you made them @Volcrest, but we can't use them with the current large trees there. If you explore Lothlorien in gm 3 you will see that many of the large trees don't have branches and none of the large trees have good branches. So using transparent leaves will need us to replace all or most large trees in Lothlorien. So it's definitely something I want to do, but it is not a small project. It is a LOT of work. :eek:
I already thought about such a project as there are some more points I don't like in Lothlorien, the rivers could be greatly improved for example. But I'm sure this will not be started before Gondor is 100.00000000% done.

As I see it now we will not need to use stained glass as there are at least 6 additional leaves blocks states, which will be available from our new custom inventories. :D

Oh ok. I didn't know that the trees don't have branches underneath. Thanks @Eriol_ Eandur. That complicates the process to a bit more than just //replace. Oh well. At least the idea has been brought to the surface again. Hit me up if you need som help realizing the project, I'm down ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea Volcrest :D It's a very nice idea of course, but just like many others of this kind we just have to realise that we can't do everything at the same time ;)

As I see it now we will not need to use stained glass as there are at least 6 additional leaves blocks states, which will be available from our new custom inventories. :D
Did you find out about the stability of these with the decayable blockstate?

Did you find out about the stability of these with the decayable blockstate?
There are 4 states for each kind of leaves only two of them (data value 0-7) are not stable. The other two are ready to use, so we can have 12 types of leaves per texturepack :D

Edit: I just checked again at devserver and nocticed that only two states are stable.

Last edited: