• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Lothlorien Vegetation

yourie98

Yellow Flower Puncher
Credits
XP
How long have you been on the server?: 2 years approximately
What is your current rank?: Adventurer
Who have you contacted to help you out with this project?: no one yet
Have you been part in any projects before? If yes elaborate what you did: No, I've only participated in regular jobs and house builds.
Is the project on the list of available projects? Yes it is
In what amount of time do you think this project will get done (rough guess)? 2-3 weeks

Lothlorien Vegetation

Project leader: Yourie98
Reserve leader: Emil_Oil
Project staff: Emil_Oil, Luckylarv, Mullerl, BeatHav3N
Designer: Emil_Oil

Background Lore

"That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold. Not till the spring and the new green opens do they fall, and then the boughs are laden with yellow flowers; and the floor of the wood is golden, and golden is the roof, and its pillars are of silver, for the bark of the trees is smooth and grey."
- Legolas

Introduction

The current Lothlorien on our server is way too plain and doesn't look that much like a forest. A forest should have different tree species and should have small trees mixed with big trees. When you walk through a forest you see thin trees, thick trees, saplings, bushes, flowers, ferns and leaves on the ground. Since this isn't the situation in our Lothlorien at the moment, we're going to beautify it!

Planning

I have divided the map of Loth into 8 rather large regions, which have been subdivided into area's. All these area's will need a larger variety of trees, some bushes, fallen leaves, saplings, ferns and lots of beautiful flowers!

Legend:
Finished
In progress
On hold

(we'll start in the east of Loth (Region 8), so we won't bother Finrod as he works on the misties)

Region 1
Region 2
Region 3
Region 4
Region 5

Region 6
Markings for trees
Trees being pasted in

Ground vegetation 50%
Region 7
Markings for trees
Trees being pasted in
Ground vegetation
Region 8
Markings for trees
Trees being pasted in
Ground vegetation

This is an example of what a real forest should look like
the_valleys_of_lothlorien_1_by_dragoroth_stock-d4757bo.jpg

Adventurers:
For the (soon) upcoming jobs there will be a guide on where to place bushes and patches of flowers and what types of flowers etc. It will be posted in this thread so keep an eye out for that!

Last edited:
I moved this thread to the application sub forum. Looking good though Yourie try and find some more people to help you out and you will hear from us in a week.

Ps: Let me know if you cant post in tihs thread or post a new thread in this subforum (project applications) of the jobs and projects forum.

Great idea, especially now that the misties are being worked on.
However, I recommend using smaller regions that can be finished on one evening. It will be a lot harder to keep track of what is finished when the regions are as large as these.

Cheers!

Great idea, especially now that the misties are being worked on.
However, I recommend using smaller regions that can be finished on one evening. It will be a lot harder to keep track of what is finished when the regions are as large as these.

Cheers!
Thanks, Beat.
I was already expecting that it would be too big. So I'll change that.
Thanks for the help!

I'd like to help as well. If you want I can try to make some concepts.
I think the ground layer should be made with a rainforest in mind, because it is said that elves could move unseen in the dense foilage.
We could add pools. creeks, crevices and small caves, because they exist in rainforests as well.

I'd like to help as well. If you want I can try to make some concepts.
I think the ground layer should be made with a rainforest in mind, because it is said that elves could move unseen in the dense foilage.
We could add pools. creeks, crevices and small caves, because they exist in rainforests as well.

I probably wouldn't say rainforest, as it was called the golden wood. i imagine some smaller greener trees lots of tall wild flowers and grasses, bushes and smaller flowers. maybe one or two of the larger flowers could be re-textured into more wilder woodland flowers rather than roses bushes etc. and maybe some smaller tree saplings both mallorn and normal. with a mix of colour variety on the normal trees leaves so that there are some reds and yellows and lighter greens to match and compliment the golden mallorn's

definitely some small shallow pools with little one wide creaks flowing here and there, flowing into the Anduin Celebrandt and nimrodel and i don't know if it's possible but maybe a re-textured leaf block made to look like butterflies, which are animated and flutter about. i think that would just make the forest that much more.

Really impressed with the map and planning, I hope this becomes something beautiful. For any help or tips feel free to bother me. I'm not online 24/7 but you can always try.

Not really vegetation that is seen in a rainforest, but as dense as one.
I was unsure about the green trees but due to your image I think we can fit them in. The problem is that we don't have thinner woodblocks, so tiny trees will kind of look fat.
I also thought about placing something on every free block, and then leave paths in the dense shrubbery, paths for the elves to sneak in.

I probably wouldn't say rainforest, as it was called the golden wood. i imagine some smaller greener trees lots of tall wild flowers and grasses, bushes and smaller flowers. maybe one or two of the larger flowers could be re-textured into more wilder woodland flowers rather than roses bushes etc. and maybe some smaller tree saplings both mallorn and normal. with a mix of colour variety on the normal trees leaves so that there are some reds and yellows and lighter greens to match and compliment the golden mallorn's

definitely some small shallow pools with little one wide creaks flowing here and there, flowing into the Anduin Celebrandt and nimrodel and i don't know if it's possible but maybe a re-textured leaf block made to look like butterflies, which are animated and flutter about. i think that would just make the forest that much more.

The idea of the variety of leaf colour is what I had in mind too. If we add some green, red and yellow leaves it would look way more colorful! And I agree with Beat that we should make the ground layer quite dense so the elves can sneak through the vegetation. Thanks for all the ideas guys, it's going to be just perfect!

Last edited:
Really impressed with the map and planning, I hope this becomes something beautiful. For any help or tips feel free to bother me. I'm not online 24/7 but you can always try.

Since osgo is finished, could we ask you to be our designer. For feedback and voxel :)

I was unsure about the green trees but due to your image I think we can fit them in. The problem is that we don't have thinner woodblocks, so tiny trees will kind of look fat.
WesterosCraft uses retextured fence blocks...

@Luckylarv I really like the picture, especially the mallorn trees are very near to the description in the book.
"The brances of the mallorn-tree grew out nearly straight from the trunk, and then swept upward; but near the top the main stem divided into a crown of many boughs, ..."

@BeatHeav3N, I tried some smaller mallorn trees, I think its possible to build small trees with normal logs. I have already made quite a lot of small trees in my themed builds. But I dont like using wool for leaves. The missing transparency makes the trees looking wrong. I tried less dense canopys but that does not really help. Is there any chance to get transparent mallorn leaves, for example would it be possible to retexture spruce leaves?

Another problem is, that the trees in Lothlorien are mostly very dense without clrearings. Our first concept is build in a place with exceptionally many clearings. I wonder if it would be possible within this project to remove some of the large mallorn trees to get more clearings. The actual forest ist very dark and most trees have moreless the same size. A natural forest would have trees of any size from saplings to giants.