• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Moria Footprints

ryttyr

One Of Us, One of Us
Supporter
Credits
XP
I had a thought. I believe that due to the low light level and the ammount of dust on the floor the Fellowship's Path footprints might be incredibly difficult to see in Moria so I was thinking, maybe we could let the Moria footprints have a more contrasting color than the regular brown so that they stick out more in the dark (or light grey if using fbt) of Moria so that people who don't want to get lost in the endless tunnels don't loose the path and gets lost in the endless tunnels.

I would say, absolutely no footprints, like paths of the dead and old moria. Yet make sure that there is a usable 3d map or walkthrough available.
I can see your point but I disagree with you as I think that Moria should be navigable without the aid of outside-the-server aids.

Why don't you want footprints in Moria, @NicTheFifth?

Anyway I'm thinking about something more flexible controlled by plugins, so that you can have no footprints movie version and book version path.
Yer always thinking so fancy Eriol. Sometimes I think you secretly want to turn the entirety of MCME into one massive, smoothly operating plugin.

Psst, that's what I'm secretly working on all the time. Don't tell anyone.
And you all think he is joking... I think there should be footprints as well. We want Moria so that people can follow the path of the fellowship, and for those that know better explore the many halls and explore the complexity.

I can see your point but I disagree with you as I think that Moria should be navigable without the aid of outside-the-server aids.
To be completely honest, it can be navigable without the use of aids, by learning it, after all many of us have done this for the old moria and Paths of the Dead alike.

And you all think he is joking... I think there should be footprints as well. We want Moria so that people can follow the path of the fellowship, and for those that know better explore the many halls and explore the complexity.
One question I have concerning this, why don't we have them through Paths of the Dead too then, as that location you can reason the same way as Moria.

To be completely honest, it can be navigable without the use of aids, by learning it, after all many of us have done this for the old moria and Paths of the Dead alike.

One question I have concerning this, why don't we have them through Paths of the Dead too then, as that location you can reason the same way as Moria.
Moria will be insanely large when it's completed though. If the numbers I heard about Moria's planned finished size are correct (7,000 by 5,000 by 3,000 blocks) we're looking at a build that's 105,000,000,000 cubic metres large. How would you ever memorize something that big? It's literally hundreds of times larger than the Paths of the Dead. And besides, Moria contains loads of iconic locations that people would like to visit whilst Paths of the Dead are only a single location really. Not having footprints in PotD is comparable with not having footprints in Edoras whilst not having footprints in Moria would be like not having footprints in all of Rohan.

tbh the path through is quite linear, atleast what we have now is 1/5 and that is easy to memorise. The next areas will be mostly linear caves, which is also easy, only near the end (west) it will be more difficult.

tbh the path through is quite linear, atleast what we have now is 1/5 and that is easy to memorise. The next areas will be mostly linear caves, which is also easy, only near the end (west) it will be more difficult.
Maybe for you who plays on the server daily it's fairly easy to memorize but for an Adventurer visiting Moria for the first time and want to go to Balin's tomb for instance it would be an absolute nightmare to try and find the right way without gettimg completely lost and whilst it might be easy for you to memorize the path not everyone on the server is as good at memorizing directions as you are, I know I sure ain't.

Ryttyr, we can also have a warp at balin's tomb, also the path through has about as many turns as Potd. Then to make it easier, each hall has a special look, which means that it is easier to know if you are lost or not.

Ryttyr, we can also have a warp at balin's tomb, also the path through has about as many turns as Potd. Then to make it easier, each hall has a special look, which means that it is easier to know if you are lost or not.
Let's just agree on disagree then because I would never be able to find my way through Moria without something guiding me even if you think you can do it and I believe that basically anyone who visits Moria for the first time would agree with me that some guidance would be great.

Maybe a middle ground, how about having a vote in the MCME times about this? That way we can see what the community wants.

I disaggree with not having footprints in Moria. It is, as @ryttyr pointed out, way too big to be navigated for newcomers. I dont see the problem with footprints due to the fact, that the texture of the footprints rn would meld in with the current colorchemes of it. You wouldnt notice it ifnt you were some newcomer specificly looking for them to make your way through.

I think some of you might have forgotten how immensely big and complex some of your builds are. Aswell as the plugins and server in general. As still a semi-droog I discover new things each and every day. It took me 3 weeks before I figured out the flint thing. As well as how to easily manage the custom inventories.
Now, what Im trying to say is, that newcomers are utterly lost. Don't expect them to figure anything out themselves, thats the best standpoint to take. So help them as much as possible, and that counts for most things. No one gets mad over being told the same thing twice. (Or thrice - ppl forget). :)

I got lost in Moria and had to warp out. Where do I start the path again. Can’t find it.
Hi Carrot,
There are no footprints through Moria so it's very easy to get lost. Large sections are not built yet. including sections of the Fellowship's path, so in some parts you will have to fly. What with the numerous levels and hall of Moria, it's pretty much a maze. Next time are you are on the server, ask in main chat if anyone is free to show you the way through.
Good luck!