• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Moria - Stage 2: Idea collecting and fine planning

It'll probably eat mine alive as-is, but it's just reason #57 I need to build a new system, so I say go for it!

I wanted to put in my advice for New Moria. Moria is a Kingdom of vibrancy and splendor. It is easily the most beautiful place in Middle Earth. We need to show this. We need to make it have as much personality as Gondor. I always hated Old Moria because it lacked this. Houses were cold with no emotion, like no one lived there and cared for it. Also in the old map Moria wasn't really a city. A few houses were put together but very few. This isn't just a city, it is a Kingdom. It is just like Rohan or Gondor just in a new fashion. We need more houses and less cold never ending halls. Also these are peoples homes. They put there heart and sole into creating it. They tried to express themselves. We need to capture a race, there ideals and customs.
svirfneblin_community_by_noahbradley-d5035vj.jpg

This is an idea I had for goblin areas
The-Hidden-City-2d-Fantasy-Cave-City-Picture-Image-Digital-Art.jpg

Here is something for dwarven city.
PKrUHrY.jpg

@Mandos
I respectfully disagree strongly with your idea for goblin areas. Everything of Tolkien's writing that I ever read has quelled any sense of culture, including architecture, for goblins/orcs. I would advocate keeping with what we have now for general evil people, mats for sleeping and lean-to's or similar makeshift shelters to keep any drips off. We could also give them simple dwellings; they would be smart enough (in my opinion, of course), to build a wall to keep out a draft. And, of course, they would have taken over some areas previously inhabited by dwarves, so we can have "repurposed" dwarven homes. I agree with what you said about dwarven things although we must remember that everything must be ruined and long undisturbed.

Yes but because of it being underground it isn't exposed to so many things. It will be pretty intact mostly war torn and ruined from moisture. And I didn't really say anything about goblins, I just had a picture for it.

Yes but because of it being underground it isn't exposed to so many things. It will be pretty intact mostly war torn and ruined from moisture. And I didn't really say anything about goblins, I just had a picture for it.
You say it would be intact, but you forget a balrog has been rampaging for 1000 years and goblins have been corrupting and changing things to make it more their "style". (Although this does give me the idea of areas that have melted structures just from to heat of the balrog).

I also said that it would be war torn but they won't touch all of a great dwarf kingdom some places will be undesturbed

The only conceivably untouched areas would be the air pockets above flooded chambers that were sealed off from most everything.

Reactions: B_n
The orcs would have definitely at least visited every part of Moria. It was around 500 years between the arrival of the orcs and Bilbo's 111st Birthday (T.A. 3001), and they came there to raid the treasuries anyway. Despite this, it needs to show some history. Unlike other ruined settlements, Moria had a significant history after it was abandoned - orcish history at least. The orc population was reduced by 10,000 in the Battle of Nanduhirion in T.A. 2799, and was again considerably reduced because of Balin's Expedition in T.A. 2989. These reductions in population could be shown with some twice-abandoned houses - once by the dwarves and once by the orcs - which would be pretty cool.

You say it would be intact, but you forget a balrog has been rampaging for 1000 years and goblins have been corrupting and changing things to make it more their "style". (Although this does give me the idea of areas that have melted structures just from to heat of the balrog).
Well, Goblins would have endommaged the structures, and they are certainly not as good as Dwarves for maintenance, but they have no interest in totally destroy it, so it should still be (except for some parts) in a far better state than Osgiliath, Fornost or Ost-in-Edhil.
And the Balrog would certainly not have visited every part of the Moria, and even if he did, he hasno reason to destroy all the structures for fun neither (actually even less than Goblins).

For the fall over the bridge of Khazad Dum, would it be possible to have a few extra sections of pit added in between the two main layers to increase the length of the fall?

I'm not sure how that will load the server if someone did fall, but it's a possibility.

Well, Goblins would have endommaged the structures, and they are certainly not as good as Dwarves for maintenance, but they have no interest in totally destroy it, so it should still be (except for some parts) in a far better state than Osgiliath, Fornost or Ost-in-Edhil.
And the Balrog would certainly not have visited every part of the Moria, and even if he did, he hasno reason to destroy all the structures for fun neither (actually even less than Goblins).
Yeah, he wouldn't even fit into some rooms, for instance.
For the fall over the bridge of Khazad Dum, would it be possible to have a few extra sections of pit added in between the two main layers to increase the length of the fall?

I'm not sure how that will load the server if someone did fall, but it's a possibility.
I am pretty sure that they are using command blocks to extend the fall.

I was wondering if it would be possible, frome the botom of that pit, to fly all the way up to the bridge ... Or will it only be possible to fall?

Also, it would be cool to add additional sections for the Endless Stair :) .

I was wondering if it would be possible, frome the botom of that pit, to fly all the way up to the bridge ... Or will it only be possible to fall?

Also, it would be cool to add additional sections for the Endless Stair :) .
As long as it doesn't take hours and hours to climb it. :eek: