• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Moria - Stage 2: Idea collecting and fine planning

Some people probably wonder what is the next stage of Moria building and when actual building will happen. For now only empty halls, 2 unfinished big ones made by stafff and eastern gate entrace have been done. Whats next and when this stuff will be finally available?

Here are the answers:
1. As soon as i layout all halls (1 and half of deep to go) in current layer, eastern city part few things will happen:
-we will have 3 competitions: first, competition for 2nd hall pillars (1 winner) and general, empty 2nd hall wall parts design (1 winner). Third competition will be for murals and paintings on these wall parts (multiple winners).
-we will open more halls for artists, but there will be limit of how many halls will be open at the time
-we will have (hopefully) many public jobs for tunnels, details, ruining, small chambers (for the start) etc.
-plotworld area for concepts, houses, smaller chambers
2. At some point you can expect build days or timelapses :)
3. I consider 2d map as top layer. Map won't be as detailed but, for example, it will show bigger halls, caves, connections between them (as dots etc). Font might be in the movies style.
4. Before most of the above can happen I NEEED TO FINISH RESOURCE PACK! So if you see that there is no big progress, its because there is almost no input in requested textures. Instead of complaining, download gimp and start playing with filters and stuff, maybe you got the talent for it?

Textures requested:
http://www.mcmiddleearth.com/threads/dwarven-textures-requests.2404/#post-28633

I'm crying... It's finally happening.... jk but really AHHHHHH YEAAAAHHH!!!!!

Ok, some ideas:

First and foremost, we should build it in it's glorious and living state before we ruin it. I find this produces better results and will leave everyone more satisfied. And we can save a copy of the up-and-running Moria onto a seperate world so that we never lose it.

Ok, building ideas:
1) community market with a large Dwarf statue (possibly of Durin) in the center, empty stalls around the edges of the room
2) LOTS of mines. This is how Moria became so great and what the city was founded on, was it's Mithril, so lets make a lot of them, hopefully very maze-like so that people get lost down there for eternity >:D
3) Less enormous random pillar caverns, even on the east side, as they have no practical value in a city other than they look nice
4) More fortifications on the east side especially
5) Possible King's Area like a palace for Durin in it's own area, possibly close to/ adjoining the Chamber of Light on the plan
6) More than two living areas. This is the largest city in Middle Earth EVER and two living areas hardly seems adequate.
7) I would like to see some living ravines with cliff-type dwellings and maybe some wooden bridges (I know we're making it ruined, but it's always a good idea to build it splendid before ruining, think Osgiliath) for example: https://reddirtpics.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/img_3734_5_6_painterly.jpg
8) The Great Forge needs to be about 10x larger than the old one. Honestly.

K, that's all I'll submit for now. I have more though. haha

Guys this is gonna be awesome. It already looks pretty great. I can't wait for more :D

I

Ok, some ideas:

First and foremost, we should build it in it's glorious and living state before we ruin it. I find this produces better results and will leave everyone more satisfied. And we can save a copy of the up-and-running Moria onto a seperate world so that we never lose it.

Ok, building ideas:
1) community market with a large Dwarf statue (possibly of Durin) in the center, empty stalls around the edges of the room
2) LOTS of mines. This is how Moria became so great and what the city was founded on, was it's Mithril, so lets make a lot of them, hopefully very maze-like so that people get lost down there for eternity >:D
3) Less enormous random pillar caverns, even on the east side, as they have no practical value in a city other than they look nice
5) Possible King's Area like a palace for Durin in it's own area, possibly close to/ adjoining the Chamber of Light on the plan
6) More than two living areas. This is the largest city in Middle Earth EVER and two living areas hardly seems adequate.
7) I would like to see some living ravines with cliff-type dwellings and maybe some wooden bridges (I know we're making it ruined, but it's always a good idea to build it splendid before ruining, think Osgiliath) for example: https://reddirtpics.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/img_3734_5_6_painterly.jpg

Guys this is gonna be awesome. It already looks pretty great. I can't wait for more :D
I feel like you didn't read the original post at all.....

Is a (civilian) hospital down? Or a clothing industry? Or even mechanics and engineering halls for all of Moria's "moving parts"?

(Took some ideas for areas from Dwarf Fortress)

It mostly wont be made like Osgiliath, so make the entire thing intact and then ruin it. First off, the extra load of work would be unbearable, dont know how many months we needed to ruin Osgo, but in the scale of Moria it would take years, just ruining! I guess some places will be built intact and then ruined right afterwards, and other places will directly be built in ruined state.

A few markets have been explicitly planned, e.g. one each on west and east end for trading with people from outside moria. Statues will be spammed through entire Moria, may well be that one finds its place on a market.

check!
check! There will of course still be empty and huge halls (at last thats how 21st and 2nd hall are described in the books), and some of them are actually for "representative purposes".
check!
check! But it will be rather on the East side, for historical reasons.
check! There will be both military/mining dwellings aswell as actual towns with houses.
check! This is at least once explicitly planned.
check!

Is a (civilian) hospital down? Or a clothing industry? Or even mechanics and engineering halls for all of Moria's "moving parts"?

Hospitals we have several, clothing factory or similar is a great idea, I think so far we only had armour, and the engineering producing is interesting too!

Ok, some ideas:

Ok, building ideas:

Ehy ehy i'm not gonna ruin the entire Moria like Osgiliath :mad:

Clothing should be done by the dwarven "Ladies" at home, like every medieval society, clothing industry means that they actually had steam power, automatic spinning wheel etc, and tons of coal for make that industry works (steam power uses quite a lot of coal for work, just think about the lungs cancer increased by over 2000% in 150 years in the UK), and the CO2, CO generated by the combustion of fossil fuels in a city built in mountain, will probably wipe them all, since even a dwarven areation system (that doesn't have any type of fan) can't hold a mass production of CO2 already generated by the people, forging and melting, the lighting system (probably that counts thousands of braziers), all the fire in the city for cook and warm the living quarters. And most of all all this combustion you need a lot of Oxygen.

As more players venture through the various halls being worked on in Moria 2.0 I just wanna remind anyone who creates a private warp there please use the proper name format. the warp name should be "zzz-yourname-warpname"

As more players venture through the various halls being worked on in Moria 2.0 I just wanna remind anyone who creates a private warp there please use the proper name format. the warp name should be "zzz-yourname-warpname"
What is the warp for WIP Moria?

I was listening to this :

and I spotted an image that could make a good concept art :) :
Qbtpi3Y.png

I found, just off the 2nd Hall, a "War God" Temple.

This isn't exactly lore-accurate; I'm pretty sure the dwarves were monotheistic worshipping Aule.
I'm no expert on dwarven theology, though.

Maybe it was supposed to be just a "Temple to Aule"? @Finrod_Amandil ?
No "The" Temple to Aule is at the center of the Chamber of Light in the middle of Moria. Whether dwarves were mono- or polytheistic most likely not even Tolkien did know, its not even said that they worshipped Aule at all or even knew that he was "guilty" of their existance. I think we don't need to settle down either of these two (or anything else) for that, if it was monotheistic we could simply argue that they too did worship Aule in that war god temple, but either had a special temple for war matters or simply one that's closer to the "war zone East Gate" for practical reasons.