• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished North Ithilien

Is Cred...

• a fishy fishy fish.

Votes: 77 84.6%
  • a human being.

Votes: 14 15.4%

• Total voters

Fireinferno13

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
North Ithilien
/warp Ithilien
/warp Henneth Annun

Project Leader: Fireinferno13
Reserve Leader: demonataz
Project Staff: rwyland,
iSMiTHz, bobingvar, Iru_
BACKGROUND LORE:
Ithlien, or "Moon-Land," is the easternmost province of Gondor that is subdivided by the stream of Morgulduin into Northern and Southern Ithilien

In the Second Age and early Third Age, the land was prosperous, filled with many woods and gardens thought it was largely abandon over time with the rise of Mordor and loss of Minas Ithil (Minas Morgul). Since then, the province has been subject to constant raids by both Orcs of Mordor and Haradrim from the South. However, scouts were kept in secret locations throughout such as Henneth Annun.

The land is described as "a fair country of climbing woods and swift-falling streams," with gentle slopes "shielded from the east by Ephel Duath and yet not under the mountain shadow, protected form the north by the Emyn Muil, open to the southern airs and the moist winds from the Sea." It also included "a wealth of sweet-smelling herbs and shrubs" and a vast array of tree species, likely planted by men in earlier days. Despite the desolation, the land "kept still a disheveled dryad loveliness."

Henneth Annun: a hidden outpost in North Ithilien, consisting of a cave behind a west-facing waterfall that overlooks a pool, described as the "fairest of the falls of Ithilien" The cave had been excavated by the stream feeding into the waterfall, but originally fell from the hole in the cliff constituting the "window-curtain" name, however the stream itself has been diverted by men to fall from doubled the height and the tunnel was sealed.

The Field of Cormallen: a tree lined filed in North Ithilien on the banks of the Anduin near Cair Andros. This is where Aragorn and company greet Frodo and Same after their rescue from Mount Doom.

Cross-Roads: Surrounded by a belt of tall trees, this point marks where the north-south Harad road meets the east-west road between Osgiliath and Minas Morgul. Next to the road leading to Osgiliath, there is a statue of a Gondorian king. Though it is missing it's head.

There were groves of ash, bay, cedar, cypress, fir, juniper, myrtle, oak, and olive trees. The ground cover included heather, ferns, moss, and briars. Among the many flowers that bloomed in Ithilien were anemones, celandines, hyacinths, irises, lilies, and wild roses. Herbs such as marjoram, parsley, sage, and thyme grew there as well.

GENERAL PLAN:

1. Organize Project Post (done)
  2. Map out Ithilien (done)
  3. Design Concept (done)
  4. North Ithilien (In Progress)
    1. Prep Terrain
    2. Execute Concept
    3. Add Landmarks
  5. Add Finishing Touches (soon)
  6. Party (always)
PROJECT MAP:
Feedback is appreciated
jDajaBCLJO9pt_e.jpg

green - transition to raised ground
red - roads
blue - rivers
orange - Field of Cormallen (clearing)
pink - Emyn Arnen (mountains)

dark blue dot - Henneth Annun and the Forbidden Pool
purple dot - lake
pink dot - bridge/crossing
yellow dot - water source or waterfall
grey dot - Haudh in Gwanur

Henneth Annun:

jpaM0cObG3UMB.jpg

CONCEPT ART:
TN-First_Sight_of_Ithilien.jpg

TO DO LIST:
North Ithilien (Part 1):

1. The Basics: [done]
    1. Terrain: Basic Terrain [done]
      1. Transition [done]
      2. Plateau [done]
      3. Rivers, Streams, & Ponds [done]
      4. Lore Locations [done]
        1. Henneth Annun Terrain [done]
        2. Fields of Cormallen Terrain [done]
        3. Crossroads Terrain [done]
      5. Lowlands [done]
    2. Tree Builds [done]
  2. The Environment: [in progress]
    1. Forests [in progress]
      1. Concept
      2. Map
      3. Implement
    2. Vegetation:[in progress]
      1. Bushes
      2. Vegetation
      3. Flowers
    3. Lore Locations: [in progress]
      1. Henneth Annun Detail [done]
      2. Field of Cormallen Detail [in progress]
      3. Crossroads Detail [done]
  3. The Details: [in progress]
    1. Roads & Ruins [in progress]
      1. Map
      2. Implement Ithilien Ruins
      3. Add Roads
    2. Ranger Camps [done]
      1. Map
      2. Implement
POSSIBLE JOBS:

• Concepts at ./warp IthilienConcept
  • Tree Build
  • Root Fixing
  • Road Jobs
  • Ruin Builds
  • River Sources

Last edited:
Will all artists and staff be able to do concepts, or just staff, or just the project staff?
Help is always appreciated. Just watch the forums, I will probably set up a warp soon for people to try things out once I run some more ideas. There will need to be two concepts, the dense forest (North) and the plains (South). If you want to work on concepts now and post screenshots, feel free (@Brazen_Helm you should post some screens for people to see :) )

CONCEPT DESIGNS
[Closed]

/warp IthilienConcept

This job is for Artists+, if you would like to contribute otherwise, please ask me first before building otherwise your build may be subject to deletion.

We need two concepts that can be easily transitioned at the borders. This includes a dense forest concept and plains like concept that will be used in Ithilien depending on the location. Below are some pictures that help give you an idea of what I am looking for. I am hoping to have this done in less then a week so work on Ithilien can move into full swing. I am less concerned with having large terrain tests and more concerned with small, quality builds.

Be sure to use the official post above as a foundation for your works, especially in terms of vegetation

Thanks, and if you have questions, ask.

Forest:
ithilien.jpg

Ithilien_night_1.jpg

Notice the emphasis on tall firs and rocky slopes
Plains:
TN-First_Sight_of_Ithilien.jpg

29_500.JPG

Notice the smaller trees and many shrubs that cover the ground​

Last edited:
Not sure if you have seen this, but here is one that dags made quite a while ago.
I personally really like it
Ithilien1.jpg
ithtest.jpg
I have seen this, and something similar to this might work for the outskirts. However, I agree with arcust that it seems a bit sparse for a region lush with vegetation. And though I like the waterfalls and rocky layout, I think something with more vegetation/variety would be better.

Sorry about the delay, here are my concepts I did for Ithilien a while back:

A scene in southern Ithilien, based on where Faramir & co. ambush the Haradrim:
dlrzST1.png

The Crossroad of the Fallen King:
MAijPLx.png

One of the trees used in the crossroad, on its own:
N8qwpgJ.png

You can see them yourselves on freebuild at /warp bhithilien and /warp bhcrossroad

Sorry about the delay, here are my concepts I did for Ithilien a while back:

A scene in southern Ithilien, based on where Faramir & co. ambush the Haradrim:
dlrzST1.png

The Crossroad of the Fallen King:
MAijPLx.png

One of the trees used in the crossroad, on its own:
N8qwpgJ.png

You can see them yourselves on freebuild at /warp bhithilien and /warp bhcrossroad
This is a great concept to work off of, I suggest people use this as a starting point for their work

Lore question, at the time Frodo and Sam see it, the statue is griefed by orcs, is this applicable or not given the time the server takes place

Applicable - we do not know when the Orcs graffiti-ed the statute, however they have had a considerable time to have done so by the time of Bilbo's 111th birthday.

The heads of the statue are going to be interesting then, also we will probably need graffitied textures as well.

The heads of the statue are going to be interesting then, also we will probably need graffitied textures as well.
It's Optinional really, as Matt said, there's no "the orcs did this on x/x/x" and I don't know of any other mention at/before bilbos 111th birthday. So, you don't have to add it.

I will likely do a ruined, and non-ruined version of the statue (no specific textures necessary as it wont be that hard) and implement whichever one looks best

Ithilien

Project Leader: Fireinferno13
Reserve Leader: rwyland
Project Staff: demonataz, iSMiTHz

…. filled with many woods and gardens thought it was largely abandon over time with the rise of Mordor and loss of Minas Ithil (Minas Morgul). Since then, the province has been subject to constant raids by both Orcs of Mordor and Haradrim from the South. However, scouts were kept in secret locations throughout such as Henneth Annun.

The land is described as "a fair country of climbing woods and swift-falling streams," with gentle slopes "shielded from the east by Ephel Duath and yet not under the mountain shadow, protected form the north by the Emyn Muil, open to the southern airs and the moist winds from the Sea." It also included "a wealth of sweet-smelling herbs and shrubs" and a vast array of tree species, likely planted by men in earlier days. Despite the desolation, the land "kept still a disheveled dryad loveliness."

Emyn Arnen: a series of hills at the centre of Ithilien, just south of Osgiliath and opposite of Minas Tirith as it bent with the river. It was originally home to Numenorean nobles.

Haudh in Gwanur: Tomb of Folcred and Faster, burried side by side on a single mound above the riverbank. The forces of Mordor feared to go near.

There were groves of ash, bay, cedar, cypress, fir, juniper, myrtle, oak, and olive trees. The ground cover included heather, ferns, moss, and briars. Among the many flowers that bloomed in Ithilien were anemones, celandines, hyacinths, irises, lilies, and wild roses. Herbs such as marjoram, parsley, sage, and thyme grew there as well.

Really is looking fab, and I am really glad Artists have been brought into the fold and can participate in concept design!

Just a few questions (some are probe really noobish):
Abandoned:
As you state in the text about lore, the land has been subject to raids. Does this mean that most houses will be ruined (or at least some of them) and there will be the occasional orc camp near the mountains bordering Mordor and some harad camps right down south? As it is orc inhabited, there won't be many houses will there? However, as you say, there are secret out posts "such as Henneth Annun;" does this mean there will be several?

Numenorean Nobles and Emyn Arnen:
Sorry, this is just me not knowing the lore! So these will be, as they are nobles, ruined villas? mansions? palaces?

Greenery

"There were groves of ash, bay, cedar, cypress, fir, juniper, myrtle, oak, and olive trees. The ground cover included heather, ferns, moss, and briars. Among the many flowers that bloomed in Ithilien were anemones, celandines, hyacinths, irises, lilies, and wild roses. Herbs such as marjoram, parsley, sage, and thyme grew there as well."

Will another "competition" be run for textures? (Sure some people like matt, whee, scooby, and others can pull some pretty awesome stuff out the bag!)
Also, can tree concepts be made in the /warp IthilienConcept warp?

Thanks for the answers,
Sorry if i repeated myself, been nooby, or unclear,

Nat

@natanyagrad there is already a texture thread HERE. It's not a really a contest, but is open to everybody.

I thought somebody said that you could build anything that would be needed in Ithilien at the concept warp (ruins, trees, waterfalls, etc.), but now I can't seem to find it.