• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Osgiliath Contest

otho

MCME Connaisseur
Commoner
Credits
XP
Osgiliath Build Contest
Open to all ranks! (except ob)
~~Registration closed~~
As the progress of Osgiliath is drawing closer and closer to being finished with the help of all the fantastic people willing to participate in this project; we still have tons of stuff to do and need your help!
Since we can't have jobs running around the clock, we're doing a huge contest for one of the most prominent places in the city.

What's needed?
The area you will be ruining is going to become Gondor's main army camp. Being least affected and the most important place in the city of war, the armies have found a sedative spot where troops can rest, eat and prepare for battles. The looks of this huge camp is all up to you hard working men out there but we do recommend you to try and fit it in with the ruining-style we have in Osgiliath.

Some links to help get your imagination flowing:
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Osgiliath
http://mcmiddleearth.com/threads/osgo-project-osgiliath.635/

gS1HFCM.png

4r30FjH.png

Q2aU8lA.jpg

Rules and info:
  • You will be given a piece of land that contains the build and some houses around it, these houses are not a part of the competition so feel free to skip them. Also there's a tower which isn't needed.
  • In this competition, you can either go solo or work in a team. You'll get until the 18th of September to finish register for this contest and once you're done with that, we'll give you a plot to work on with your team or all by yourself.
  • At the 11th of October we will pick out 3 finalists and they will be given some feedback. Then they'll have 1 week to finish it up after we finally decides who will win this prestigious competition!
  • If you build on another plot, it will be considered as grief.
The warp for the plots are: /warp osgoruin

Team name:
<name>
Team participants: <person1>,<person2> etc

Participating Teams:
1. suchfun (plot 1)
2. Dude, Super Encampment
3. ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ2.0 (plot 3)
4. Swagg3r times 3 (plot 4)
5. I will try, but I will fail (plot 5)
6. Pimp my Osgiliath (plot 6)
7. Just another loner (plot 7)
8. BSA (plot 8)

Last edited:
Upload the picture to imgur, then copy that adress and post the picture again ;)

Team name: suchfun
Team participants: KlemensPlusLukas, Ivan1pl

Last edited:
It seems like we're having too many contests. Back in the day, contests were something to be excited about. Now, though, with this being the third contest since the Minas Tirith Citadel one, I think we're going a little overboard on the contests. I believe cred took a poll with his Citadel contest, and the overwhelming response was that people wanted more contests, but again, I think we have gone too far.
Contests do give people in the community a chance to build, but honestly, it's pretty much the artists who enter and win. Sorry, but it's true:p Besides that, it might give them a chance to get advice on their builds, but they could just be given advice on their tb's. Besides, contests slow down the progress on the server. As on Cair Andros, the progress was halted for 2 to 3 weeks while waiting for the contest to finish.
Don't get me wrong, I love contests, it's just that we could do with a few less.

Well, while since this contest is already happening, I might as well enter:p
Team name: Dude, Super Encampment
Team participants: DSESGH

Hint: look at the first letter of each word in my team name:p

It seems like we're having too many contests. Back in the day, contests were something to be excited about. Now, though, with this being the third contest since the Minas Tirith Citadel one, I think we're going a little overboard on the contests. I believe cred took a poll with his Citadel contest, and the overwhelming response was that people wanted more contests, but again, I think we have gone too far.
Contests do give people in the community a chance to build, but honestly, it's pretty much the artists who enter and win. Sorry, but it's true:p Besides that, it might give them a chance to get advice on their builds, but they could just be given advice on their tb's. Besides, contests slow down the progress on the server. As on Cair Andros, the progress was halted for 2 to 3 weeks while waiting for the contest to finish.
Don't get me wrong, I love contests, it's just that we could do with a few less.

Well, while since this contest is already happening, I might as well enter:p
Team name: Dude, Super Encampment
Team participants: DSESGH

Hint: look at the first letter of each word in my team name:p
Hush

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT

Team name:ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ2.0
Team participants: K1sk1BBab35, bender400,mattlego, georget1011

Last edited:
Things we should work on by most guys:
- jobs
- Things everbody can do
= another contest
I'm saying this because I think it is important to initiate things and having a fun community. It keeps things interesting. These contests thus might pop up more often and I hope this will entice more people to participate and figure out they're good at building. They might get involved more and have a chance at helping more, which will improve must stuff.
It's all in the line of attracting people to minecraft and have them learn and explore. It ties people together and gets them on teamspeak to communicate with team members.

On another note, I'll be on holiday for the next week untill the 22nd of september so this means osgiliath will gonna be quiet for a while. The contest makes sure there is progress on some part even when I'm not around. (That's how productive a designer foreman is, working on the job while not on the job).

A NOTE TO FELLOW BUILDERS!

You can add gondorian camps and small baricades/guard posts around the ruin. Think of small barracks tukked away or small storage spaces. It's an option.

Peace out

When I next
Things we should work on by most guys:
- jobs
- Things everbody can do
= another contest
I'm saying this because I think it is important to initiate things and having a fun community. It keeps things interesting. These contests thus might pop up more often and I hope this will entice more people to participate and figure out they're good at building. They might get involved more and have a chance at helping more, which will improve must stuff.
It's all in the line of attracting people to minecraft and have them learn and explore. It ties people together and gets them on teamspeak to communicate with team members.

On another note, I'll be on holiday for the next week untill the 22nd of september so this means osgiliath will gonna be quiet for a while. The contest makes sure there is progress on some part even when I'm not around. (That's how productive a designer foreman is, working on the job while not on the job).

A NOTE TO FELLOW BUILDERS!

You can add gondorian camps and small baricades/guard posts around the ruin. Think of small barracks tukked away or small storage spaces. It's an option.

Peace out
Next time I see anyone apply for staff I want to see 'THEY WORK ON THE JOB WHILST OFF THE JOB' in the 'What do you think a good staff member is?' :p

If Muddy's in, I'm in.
*Boss nod*

Last edited by a moderator:

Hush

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT

I personally think it's great that we are having so many contests (and cmon, it's not that many, what 1 a month?) and not just for community involvement. Contests are the best way, in my opinion, to create top quality builds without just having the staff build everything at all major. Take Haudh in Gwanur for instance, if smith had just logged on, seen an artist and said "such-and-such, I choose you! Build this!" then they might not have done a great job, just because it isn't the style they're best at, or maybe they weren't particularly inspired that day. I consider myself a good builder but I have come up with some absolute rubbish on occasion just because I wasn't in the right frame of mind, and even when I build something good I never get it right first try, because no-one does. With a contest, even if an artist (or team of artists) is always going to win, it ensures that every artist that wants to gets a go and so there will always be some real top quality builds among them. It also means that there's not too much of a rush to finish a build which is inevitably going to lead to worse quality. Alternatively, if staff members built everything at all major, then just as adventurers (and they have a point) complain that artists get to build so much more, then artists would complain that staff members build everything.

I also don't believe that "progress" is "halted" by contests because progress is not finishing projects, progress is making excellent builds. Otherwise you could equally argue that root fixing jobs are not worthwhile because they tie up staff members who could otherwise be working on other things, and is the only purpose is community involvement? No. The purpose of root fixing jobs is to maintain the highest standards for the entirety of the server, and so is the purpose of contests. Just as if I saw a tree with derpy roots I would say "ugh, really?", in the same way if I saw a sub-standard Haudh in Gwanur I would say "Really guys? All this talent we have on the server, and that's the best we can do?"

If there is a chance for adventurers to try their hand at building and have a chance to see their build featured on the server even, then that is a great bonus. I also love that there have been very different scales and subjects for the contests, keep it up guys! And everyone, especially guides and artists, please encourage as many adventurers as possible to join contests. I know that a lot of them will come out with rubbish, but some of them will not, and it will keep people who have potential interested, rather than looking round once, maybe making a themed build and then disappearing never to be seen again.