• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished ***Osgiliath Vegetation Upgrade***

BWOT

One Of Us, One of Us
Supporter
Commoner
Credits
XP
~:~|~:~ Osgiliath Vegetation Update ~:~|~:~
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Project Leader: @ooitsbirdo
Co-Leader: @dav3ck
Project Staff: All Foreman

Discussion Thread
The thread to discuss in general the project, comment on any updates or any other non-announcement topic.

Project Announcement Thread
The to update the public of announcements to do with the project.
Link: On Hold - ***Osgiliath Vegetation Upgrade***

Make Osgo Green Planning Post

Introduction
To Be or Not To Be that is the question. Honestly, its a stupid question and Shakespeare needs to sort himself out. Anyway, Osgiliath is the project, the task will be to add overgrowth and have a more realistic state of ruining for the age of the city. We will also be fixing derps such as some houses defining the laws of gravity, and huge gaps in the wall that haven't been mended making a whole camp section useless, lack of greenery for an abandoned city that's not really being upheld for the last few 100 years. That's to name just a few. So To sum up, make it look nice and pretty and use the new blocks from the texture merge.

Background lore
Osgiliath was the capital city of Gondor. During the War of the Ring, the abandoned city gained strategic importance as a crossing point over the Anduin, both for the Men of Gondor and Orcs of Mordor.

marked_osgo_plan.png

This project will be broken down into sectors to make it easy to work through. This project is a Job Project and so is aimed at allowing for plenty of jobs hopefully.

Detailed Plan

To make coordination easier and allow for greater efficiency the city will be broken up into sections starting off at the eastern part of the city moving across from 1 - 24, that may sound a lot but these sections should be done quickly and each section will have their own instructions that can be quickly followed with job notices for the foreman that can be updated by @dav3ck and I (@ooitsbirdo) and by the foreman if they were not able to finish their last job. (section 11 is a special section if you touch you die)

STEP 1: Terrain, we need to first sort out the foundation of the city that mean the terrain, which will need to be redone to make it look like grass has come back into this city, the eastern part of the city will have more overgrowth as it is next to a forest region while the left side will have less greenery.
(Insert image of terrain concept)
This can be done as jobs by our lovely foreman to make our slave (adventurers and commoners) work.

STEP 2: Adding all the Trees, this will be done by me and Dav where we will add all the trees in their right position, and if needed have quick jobs to fix any roots, this step will be done after all the terrain is done across the city.

STEP 3, vegetation, adding flowers and bushes and all that, the pretty part if you think about it, again this can be run through jobs,

STEP 4: Fixing ruins, adapt ruins to its new surrounding this will be a job for the artist and the commoners and adventurer who have shown talent who I would expect to be going for Artist

So this project is now active, we are starting off terrain, thank you @barteldvn for the first job, see his terrain in section 1, please work across from section 1 to 5, there are notice boards if you dont finish a job for other foreman to carry on

I am looking for some really nice screenshots showing of the current Osgiliath vegetation, Preferable really showing of the insane amount detail that we are adding into this project. Send them to me in discord.

Greetings fellow environmentalist

With the first section now almost complete, and the second section nicely on its way. We wanted to give you some additional information for this project.

First and Foremost I want to thank everybody who has helped so far, I believe the first section was one of the most difficult since we were still learning things on the go. So once again, thanks everyone for who helped with this process.

Secondly we have decided on a schedule we aim to follow: We are attempting a section a week, with the first section needing to be finished by friday (31-08-2018). Since there are around 24 sections, we hope to have this project completed within ~25 weeks.

Additional information

Since we are striving for the highest quality we can possible achieve, even after a house is finished and accepted, there will sometimes still be a comment block added. these comment blocks have additional things we like to see added or done better. Anyone is allowed to complete them.

Instead of claiming a house by yourself, try doing a house (even small once) togetter with a buddy. We have found that working togetter always makes for high quality builds and more enjoyment doing it.

When doing a house, try at every house to make it the best house u can possible make it. Try to be creative with it and sometimes before starting take 5 minutes to just properly exam it and look for places where special features can be added that make your house stand out from the rest. Quality > Quantity

Feel free to experiment with things that arent in the concept! Be creative!

And most importantly, we are here to have fun and make some awesome builds, so join the voicechat every now and then and join us having a laugh derping around, not every minute has to be spent being productive.

Yours Truelly, The Osgiliath team

If u have any questions, contact us (OoitsBirdo or Dav3ck) via discord or the forums.

For the remained of the day, I will be running a little unofficial buildday in osgiliath. So if u have time, drop by and give us a hand.

Last edited:
Progress Post 2

Greetings Fellow environmentalists

Normally we aim to have a weekly Progress post out every Friday, However Because I (Dav3ck) was out of town for the entire weekend I’m writing one now!

So First of all, thank you all for who has been helping out. The amount of progress that we have managed to get done is absolutely insane, and we most definitely hope to continue this trend into the future.

With now almost 3 weeks since the project started, and we have almost completed the First Area (Section 1-5). Here is a list of tasks which can be run by any foreman in jobs, or done by individual artists that are left within this first area:

-Wall
-The Inner walls are now mostly done and they look absolutely stunning! However there are still some minor details that can still be added, such as crates/ tool racks/ training dummies/ lanterns etc.

-Cliff
-
there is still a cliff area in Osgiliath that needs vegetating, this is a rather difficult task but I encourage any artist to try their hands at it! (For the concept, just look at the other cliffs)

-The Roads
-Especially in section 3/4/5 there must be a bunch more vegetation added to the road like is done in section 1

-Coastal
- Section 5 still needs coastal vegetation, this can be done by any foreman.

-Houses
-The gatehouse needs restoration, Since this is probably one of the most difficult places within this entire area I would like to have a team of artists do it. So if u think that you and a buddy are up for the task, send us a message on discord.

These are all the main tasks that still need completing, However there are still a bunch of minor & special tasks that need to be worked on, of which there are too many to list out. So if u have time, go around this area and search for commend blocks with these minor tasks on them, any artist+ is allowed to do them.

Yours truly

The Osgiliath team

P.S. Im still looking for more nice screenshots of Osgiliath! sent them to me (dav3ck) in discord

special shout out to @Roel2005 , @Oberanio , @Slowlex_ and recently @DoctorDaom for doing some amazing work in a camp area as well as adding some great detail into this North west island and generally helping me and dav out a lot, and shout out to @chuckie001 and @Xmine01 for all his works with the houses. sorry if i missed out anyone but you work and effort will be noted by me dav and will always give you more work if you ask.

Progress Post 3

With week 4 now behind us, I will be giving a short description about recent progress to all those not fortunate enough to witness it themselves! Last week I so ambitious claimed that the first area was almost complete, and since words like "almost" are pretty empty, I won’t say it again. However! I will say this: I expect us to have the first area completed before next week’s progress post!

Before we jump into an actual list with all the progress, let me first state that over the past week I have experience something truly wonderful. For I experienced what an extensive increase working as a team can have on the quality. The quality of the builds constructed this week were probably better than any artist could have done individually, which is a truly amazing thing to witness. So thank you all for the great teamwork!

So let me now quickly summarize the progress in Osgiliath:

-The Docks: With some creative use of the space available the docks have turned out great and add such a nice feel to the first area!

-The lumberjack camps: What? A lumberjack camp? Now now, put down your pitchforks. We realise that cutting down trees isn’t the most environmental friendly thing you can do. But Wow, the amount of detail in that place surely makes up for maybe a slight rise of the Anduin.

-The Main Camp area: This place isn't completely finished yet, but is already starting to feel like home! At least, to the extend a military camp right next to the boarder of a land filled with evil can be.

-General Detailing/ improving: such detail, much Wow. (too much to summarize)

That was all the progress for this week!

The final thing I want to point out is that if anyone has any criticism / tips for Osgiliath, or maybe has some really cool and unique ideas. Don't be afraid to share them. I know me and Ooits might look a bit scary (especially Ooits). But please, every type of input: negative/ positive is truly appreciated and will help us improve our way of leadership and the results.

Thank you all! and see you next week!

The Osgiliath team.

2018-09-14_17.57.37.png

I have some realism issues with Osgiliath:
  1. There is a lot of dirt high up on the roofs. Dirt may accumulate in corners by wind and water, but not pile up high on a roof, where wind and water will wash it away.
  2. There so many flowers that it looks like a well maintained garden with 100 gardeners caring for it.
  3. There are many plants and even flowers at very dark places in houses with no light from above at all.
  4. Many plants and even flowers are growing on sheer stone. There are some plants that can grow in tiny cracks of stone, but they are usually not that abundant and colorful.
full
full
full
full

Proposed fixes: use the mossy red stone repeaters and grasses on rooftops (not grass block) and hanging vines.
Think of flowers as wanting to rule the world. Clump them into groups when placing them rather than randomly having a rainbow because they will adapt for one area and will thrive there and overcome other plants generally.
No flowers in low light areas

1. There is a lot of dirt high up on the roofs. Dirt may accumulate in corners by wind and water, but not pile up high on a roof, where wind and water will wash it away.
Its indeed true that this isnt the most realistic thing ever, however it just looks to damn cool when looking at the city with all the green patches on the roof tops.
  1. There so many flowers that it looks like a well maintained garden with 100 gardeners caring for it.
I dont really know how we can make the flowers look less gardend, we spread them a bit randomly combined with all other vegetation blocks. I dont know if u mean it more in the sense that we need more wild flowers in the resourcepack? or like arken suggested?
  1. There are many plants and even flowers at very dark places in houses with no light from above at all.
This is indeed not very realistic and something that we are looking to remove.
  1. Many plants and even flowers are growing on sheer stone. There are some plants that can grow in tiny cracks of stone, but they are usually not that abundant and colorful.
Yeah this issue has also come to our attention, and we already told all the foreman working in osgiliath to really watch out for this if they are running a job. In our original concept we allow for the seed stages (which look like grass/ weeds) to be placed on stoneblocks, but not full flowers.

Of course it's good to aim for cool looking builds, but realism has be taken into account too. It's not good if something looks weird and unrealistic to many people (and the green/flowered roof do).
We have smaller, less gardened looking floweres in the Gondor rp. Large flowers should be used with care, they are used way too abundantly. There should be only a few and mainly at places with good soil (former gardens for example).
Most common should be green plants, like grass and bushes.

My thought behind the dirt and stuff on the roof was that I thought that dirt and stuff would gather over time in some of the big holes. I would preferably not have done this with full blocks, but rather a block with less dirt mixed with stone bricks for example.
2018-10-11_13.13.43.png
2018-10-11_13.13.22.png

As far as the other stuff go, I've started going around removing unrealistic flowers on stone and placing flowers more in groups like ark suggested.

Last edited:
Dirt in some holes at the roofs is good, but it should not be higher than the surrounding roof tiles. Probably better use some of the forest ground blocks from custom inventory, category "Exter". Also moss and dirt cover blocks from that category and some slabs.
I know you can't place plants on them, but in my opinion thats less importants (Btw would be simple to expand plant textures downwards so that they fit with slabs... we should think about this :D )