• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Resource Packs Derp Thread

Will_Slams

Worthy of Mordor
Credits
XP
Title says it all! Figured this would be a useful thread to have, just because of all the crazy updates that Minecraft gets that mess with textures, or if we have a missing texture, or something is misplaced, or whatever.

Last edited:
I found one, the door is reversed in each side of the texture:
In1cwTC.png

The other side is wrong:
8ybArZp.png

You might want to post this in the github issues pages or tell those who take care of textures like matthelegoman's dev thread. I'll see if I can find the right links for github.

--- However, if they are here then anybody who has an idea on how to fix it could do fix it. =D

I cannot attempt to fix this texture derp at the moment, however:
  • It is probably Mojang's problem - I will check the buglist for Minecraft and see if it is there.
  • The only way we could fix it ourselves is to wait until 1.8 where we can replace the texture and 3d model of a block. It would be as simple as importing the minecraft door using the paid version of the Sphax 3d modelling program and editing the UVs. But I do not have the paid version. =p

Last edited:
Right. I just remembered what made me create this thread:
Torches in the Gondor pack are kinda stubby. They don't fully connect to the block above them, so they sort of float under chains. In the Eriador and Rohan packs, they connect to the block above them.

I noticed the sandstone blocks have been modified in the last version of the Gondor pack (basically, the big bricks became the "default sandstone" when the small bricks are now only visible on the sides of the sculpted block. Overall, I think it's great, but the problem is that it ruins dozens of builds already on the server that were using different sandstone blocks!

I think that inverting the textures of the sculpted block and the normal block would be the solution!

Last edited:
I noticed the sandstone blocks have been modified in the last version of the Gondor pack (basically, the big bricks became the "default sandstone" when the small bricks are now only visible on the sides of the sculpted block. Overall, I think it's great, but the problem is that it ruins dozens of builds already on the server that were using different sandstone blocks!

I think that inverting the textures of the sculpted block and the normal block would be the solution!
We are aware of this problem, the issue is that some locations (e.g. Dol Amroth) were built with the former setup and others with a pack that was for longer time only accessible to staff and had the textures swapped. The plan is to reintroduce the old sandstone setup as soon as 1.8. is fully working, using the red sandstone textures, so that we then have both small and big bricks available with stairs and slabs.

Wouldn't it be more convenient to guve the new stup to the red sandstone? Ore are there more builds mith the new setup?

Wouldn't it be more convenient to guve the new stup to the red sandstone? Ore are there more builds mith the new setup?
Mainly Pelargir which is still WIP, additionally some of the villages. (but most locations look nice with both setups)

Apparently Prismarine blocks bug with the resource pack when placing it in various spaces. Instead of looking the same in various spots it does this.

Attachments

• Prismarine buggy.png
    Prismarine buggy.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 485
Apparently Prismarine blocks bug with the resource pack when placing it in various spaces. Instead of looking the same in various spots it does this.
Well, this is not a bug. It's a feature :D
The prismarine block in Eriador RP has 8 alternate textures. For each block the client chooses randomly a model from these models. This is a great feature to avoid repetitive patterns and can improve builds a lot. The prismarine block may not be a very good example, in my opinion the the blocks are too distinct. Alternate textures are much better for just small variations. We will use them a lot in Dol Amroth.

Here is the prismarine blockstate file from Eriador pack:
Code:
{
    "variants": {
        "normal":
        [
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_base", "weight":4 },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_base_1", "weight":4 },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_base_2", "weight":4 },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough" },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_1" },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_2" },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_3" },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_4" }
        ]
    }
}
All models are found in minecraft/models/block/ folder. The first three models are used 4 times more often ("weight":4).

Well, this is not a bug. It's a feature :D
The prismarine block in Eriador RP has 8 alternate textures. For each block the client chooses randomly a model from these models. This is a great feature to avoid repetitive patterns and can improve builds a lot. The prismarine block may not be a very good example, in my opinion the the blocks are too distinct. Alternate textures are much better for just small variations. We will use them a lot in Dol Amroth.

Here is the prismarine blockstate file from Eriador pack:
Code:
{
    "variants": {
        "normal":
        [
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_base", "weight":4 },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_base_1", "weight":4 },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_base_2", "weight":4 },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough" },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_1" },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_2" },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_3" },
        { "model": "prismarine_rough_4" }
        ]
    }
}
All models are found in minecraft/models/block/ folder. The first three models are used 4 times more often ("weight":4).
But for what would one ever use this texture?.. same for the three variants of the painted wood or so, can't really tell what they're supposed to be

But for what would one ever use this texture?.. same for the three variants of the painted wood or so, can't really tell what they're supposed to be

As I hope you can imagine it can be repetitive seeing the same texture next to itself over and over, so providing a textures that can randomise itself breaks that repetitiveness, something quite often featured in optifine

As I hope you can imagine it can be repetitive seeing the same texture next to itself over and over, so providing a textures that can randomise itself breaks that repetitiveness, something quite often featured in optifine
I meann, we also have coal ore but this texture doesnt really look that much like ore either so idk its purpose

I meann, we also have coal ore but this texture doesnt really look that much like ore either so idk its purpose
Yeah, it will be removed from the pack as part of the big RP cleanup I'm working on. The textures will be saved in a hub for unused textures though in case we're looking for something like this again in the future.

Whilst I really like the new fence models for the new Moria rp I'm not too sure it was a smart idea to change the netherbrick fence model since that is the most common thing used for... well a lot of stuff. In some places the new model looks really good but in others well...
2017-06-16_21.36.57.png
that used to be the remains of a fallen down chandelier. Now it looks like.. well, like sandstone rubble.

Edit: and this is far from the only place where netherbrick fences were used for chandeliers.
It looks great when used as a fence but it looks odd when it's used in other ways...

Last edited: