• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Rivendell Reboot

A couple of small suggestions:
  • Some of the trees' canopies could be better. The leaves near the edges look really stiff, because they're so diagonal. I marked one of them ingame.
  • The outcropping for the moon rune table should be wider. It doesn't look very natural at the moment.
  • Could you splatter some grass in the paths? If you look anywhere else on the map, even in inhabited areas, the paths aren't as perfect as they are in Rivendell right now.
  • If I remember correctly, there are supposed to be scattered white stones that mark the path to Rivendell. They were there on the old map, but never got moved over. If you could add those, that'd be great!
That's all I have for now, some more may come later!

• If I remember correctly, there are supposed to be scattered white stones that mark the path to Rivendell. They were there on the old map, but never got moved over. If you could add those, that'd be great!
That's all I have for now, some more may come later!
I'm not sure what texture we are going to use... maybe carry over the whiter stone from the gondor pack.(HINT)

• Some of the trees' canopies could be better. The leaves near the edges look really stiff, because they're so diagonal. I marked one of them ingame.
also thats what the blue wool is that you put your sign right above. A marker that it needs some more work.

Switch to gondorpack - reveals how derpy derp y'alls biomes are atm

Like desert biomes n mushroom biomes n stuff on like... grass... or half a tree........ URGH

pl0x fix <3

Switch to gondorpack - reveals how derpy derp y'alls biomes are atm

Like desert biomes n mushroom biomes n stuff on like... grass... or half a tree........ URGH

pl0x fix <3
Biomes have no been changed on trees, accept with the red onez

Umm? What? It had not been changed at all since the previous vanilla trees were there
Its probably from when the vanilla trees were removed, the trees were removed but the biomes were not affected.
You didnt remove the already present biomes from the vanilla trees, therefore when you pasted in all the pretty trees, you now of a combination of the new biomes you have added PLUS the old ones that you never removed. In other words there are random biome changes everywhere, rather than being purely plains biomes with changes only with colored trees.

There are also a lot of dirt blocks still left behind the council meeting place

You didnt remove the already present biomes from the vanilla trees, therefore when you pasted in all the pretty trees, you now of a combination of the new biomes you have added PLUS the old ones that you never removed. In other words there are random biome changes everywhere, rather than being purely plains biomes with changes only with colored trees.

Artists mind if I remove the current biomes and redo the new ones?

Rivendell looks great now, guys! Thanks for taking your time to finally update this thing. I am sure even the biggest book fans can be (partially) happy now.

Rivendell looks great now, guys! Thanks for taking your time to finally update this thing. I am sure even the biggest book fans can be (partially) happy now.
Lol thx just one tip, say that when the project is done :p

I was asked by @SugarKoala If i was interested in helping design a forest for the southern hilltop on Rivendell so after fixing the terrain from being haphazardly voxelled, I laid out said plan.

One thing I've always thought the Rivendell Revamp needed was a plan, and a unified one by parties involved. Now obviously I went about this on my own accord but I guess it could serve as a guide for any future public project.

The Rivendell Revamp - Forest

Tolkein, while writing his novels based this area on Lauterbrunnental, Switzerland. It is a fantasy location, like all of Middle-Earth, but grounded in reality. Therefore this forest plan follows the vegetation native to Switzerland.

Picture of Lauterbrunnental;
LauterbrunnenValley.jpg

Take note of the trees, it is nearly 100% Evergreen, with very little Deciduous (oaks, beeches, hornbeams, etc). And as such, this guide follows that.

The most frequent form of trees in this area are; Swiss Pines, European Pines, European Larches, and Hornbeams.

Examples of these trees;

Swiss Pines;
-removed-
-removed-

Swiss Pine Sapling;
-removed-
-removed-

European Pines;
-removed-
-removed-

European Pine Sapling;
-removed-
-removed-

European Hornbeams;
-removed-
-removed-

European Hornbeam Sapling;
-removed-
-removed-

All images above should be used as templates for all the trees placed on the Southern Hilltop of Rivendell. Also take note that the trees are the same species with each picture, but they sometimes look radically different, this needs to be reflected in the final trees built on the Hilltop.

All images above are unneeded as the trees are going to be stenciled in then edited further to look more original.

I'm not going to dictate specifically which tree needs to look like what by showing you a screenshot of a minecraft tree. Each one should be open to interpretation, this leads to a happy workforce and creativity that would otherwise not be seen on the server.

Irrelevant now

When you arrive at the Southern Hilltop you will see a guide of where and how to build these trees. Each tree should be different than the other, copy/pasting leads to obvious repetition even with the //rotate command.

Irrelevant now

This is the template you will see, which marks where each tree will be built. The tree bark and leaf type are already on top of each marker.
-removed-

Image no longer needed, trees are stenciled in now.

These are the boxes for each tree type. Each tree should fit within these boxes and not extend beyond them, this is to ensure consistency and prevent the forest from looking too crowded once completed.

The guidelines are:
Swiss / European pines - No higher than 15 blocks, and no wider than 10x10
Swiss / European pine saplings - No higher than 9 blocks, and no wider than 5x5

Hornbeams - No higher than 20 blocks, and no wider than 15x15
Hornbeam saplings - No higher than 10 blocks, and no wider than 10x10

Bushes - No higher than 3 blocks, no wider than 5x5

Above text unneeded, trees are stenciled now.

-ImgRemoved-

The reason for these heights are to remain in scale of the map; which is roughly around 1:90 or 1:100 scale. According to a botany source found while researching the trees for this area, I saw that the majority of Evergreen pines in this area range from 15m - 45m tall.

This would make the ideal tree sizes for Rivendell to be around 3 - 15 blocks tall.

To stay in scale with the map I would suggest not going over 15 blocks for a tree, that way they seem to be part of the terrain rather than an object sitting on it that is 33% larger than it should be.

A look of the hilltop and forest planned so far;
-ImgRemoved-

Image no longer needed, trees were pasted in via stencil.

Happy foresting
-Phe

Last edited:
Project Update:

So after some weird weeks of discuss and other Stuff, its time to get this sorted.

What needs to be done to finish the project:

The Forest on the Hills: in progress

You have probably seen @pheonixsang tree planning we will use it and just make little changes to the general size and style of the trees.
A longer Post with all the Information will follow after I sorted everything out.

The Forge: in progress

Well not a Competition but you can decide with forge we should use, you can find the poll here. :)

The Trees and Biomes inside the Valley:
in progress

So we nearly finished all the trees inside Valley, the only thing which needs to be done after that is fixing the Biomes. @K1sk1BBab35, @MuddyDirt and myself will go over them and decide which biome every tree should have, we will mark them with different wool types. Also We gona fix the tree at the Entrance to Rivendell, cause it looks like an Octopus.

Hope that helps for now, more Informations comming soon

-Lukas

Last edited: